Traveling with grandkids ages 7-17 Panorama

Derbie

Hello all!  DH and I are traveling with our son, his wife and four grandkids the last week of March.  We have been to MX Riviera several times, but not with the kids.  I would like your take on what is worth the extra money for the kids on the ship?  Which restaurants to drop some coin on?  We are not really drinkers, but I like my nice coffee over lido coffee.  I have asked questions on the ports on the Mexican Riviera board, but anyone have anything they would like to throw in, I would appreciate it.  Anything on the ship we should not miss-be it kids or adults?  Any tips would be appreciated.  

Thanks so much all you Mensa brained cruisers!

We were on the Panorama with our one 15 year old, and I'm going to be that grumpy cruiser that didn't spend any extra money on the ship except for photos and wifi (for sea days). 🤷 He did look longingly at the sky zone, but I never got over there to investigate the prices.  I do know Build a Bear was INCREDIBLY popular and if I had a younger one the Suess green eggs and ham meal looked fun. 😁

• Like 2

We did Panorama this year late Feb early March. We did great paid excursions in 2 ports and in Mazatlan we just decided to walk/hike up to El Faro lighthouse for free.

It is suitable for all ages but could be considered moderately strenuous. We are in our early 60s and not really in shape and we did it with no issues with a few rest stops. Really nice views along the way and up top. Also a glass bridge up top.

It took us about 3 hours to go up and down. It starts out a pathway and then it's 336 steps.

Screenshot_20230101-104641~2.png

Screenshot_20230101-104702~2.png

Screenshot_20230101-104718~2.png

Screenshot_20230101-104724~2.png

• Like 2

We were just on this ship last month. It has Carnival's first ever “Sky Zone” with an indoor trampoline park. Kids can release a lot of energy in there and they even have glow in the dark events which the kids love. I’d definitely recommend taking them there they’ll love it. 

• Like 1

Mazatlan is a nice little place to do a city tour IMO, and with the size of your group, booking it privately might end up close to the same price and then you get a smaller van and more control/flexibility. Also likely to have the cheapest shopping. Cabo is the one port where I might say to do a Carnival excursion so you don't have the hassle of trying to get off the boat in time; could also be a good beach day, there's not a whole lot to do in the marina area that's kid friendly. Or just stay on the ship. 🤷‍♀️

Panorama is an awesome ship! On sea days don't miss the salad bar on Serenity and free lunch at Guy's BBQ. Jiji's and Cucina also both offer free lunch on all days; might be a good place to hit up embarkation day to avoid the crowds at Guy's Burgers or the buffet. Don't miss the cakes at the buffet for lunch - so good! Definitely don't miss the Skyride bike, ropes course, mini-golf, and water slides for the kids, all included. Comedy is great too and they have PG shows for the kids (though the adult shows are GREAT for the adults!). I didn't find the MDR food to be that great for dinner but there are enough specialty restaurants and other options, though that may not be financially feasible for a group your size. Cucina (at dinner when it's a pay restaurant) was absolutely incredible though, great value for the cost, and Italian is kid-friendly, if you're wanting to splurge for one special night.

• Like 1

On 1/1/2023 at 11:13 AM, LatinaInTexas said:

We did Panorama this year late Feb early March. We did great paid excursions in 2 ports and in Mazatlan we just decided to walk/hike up to El Faro lighthouse for free.

It is suitable for all ages but could be considered moderately strenuous. We are in our early 60s and not really in shape and we did it with no issues with a few rest stops. Really nice views along the way and up top. Also a glass bridge up top.

It took us about 3 hours to go up and down. It starts out a pathway and then it's 336 steps.

Screenshot_20230101-104641~2.png

Screenshot_20230101-104702~2.png

Screenshot_20230101-104718~2.png

Screenshot_20230101-104724~2.png

This looks wonderful.  I may send our son's family up.  Before September, we would have went up this hill.  My DH had a heart attack in September, so I am still a bit nervous about this much exertion, until he gets the all clear from the cardiologist.  Thanks, as it looks wonderful!

On 1/1/2023 at 11:34 AM, MeganGC1983 said:

Sky ride, ropes course, and Sky Zone are really popular. Don’t miss Jiji’s at lunch when it’s free. You gotta go when they open or you won’t get it. 

I will check it out.  Thanks so much for the helpful directive.

• Like 1

for teens  (12-14 and 15-17) there is an orientation the first night.    Its about 8:00 or 8:30    lasts about 45 min      The teens should go there and stay for ice breakers.  (VERY important) 

Family friendly comedy about 7:30

shows in the main lounge       

On 1/3/2023 at 12:25 PM, serene56 said:

for teens  (12-14 and 15-17) there is an orientation the first night.    Its about 8:00 or 8:30    lasts about 45 min      The teens should go there and stay for ice breakers.  (VERY important) 

Family friendly comedy about 7:30

shows in the main lounge       

Thanks!  The three older kids are a bit on the timid, so this would be good for them.

On 1/1/2023 at 11:34 AM, MeganGC1983 said:

Sky ride, ropes course, and Sky Zone are really popular. Don’t miss Jiji’s at lunch when it’s free. You gotta go when they open or you won’t get it. 

jI have read more than once that we should visit Jiji's, so it will be on my list.  Is it free of charge on the first day on the ship or the first full sea day?  Thanks.

On 1/1/2023 at 2:58 PM, allinwonderland said:

Mazatlan is a nice little place to do a city tour IMO, and with the size of your group, booking it privately might end up close to the same price and then you get a smaller van and more control/flexibility. Also likely to have the cheapest shopping. Cabo is the one port where I might say to do a Carnival excursion so you don't have the hassle of trying to get off the boat in time; could also be a good beach day, there's not a whole lot to do in the marina area that's kid friendly. Or just stay on the ship. 🤷‍♀️

Panorama is an awesome ship! On sea days don't miss the salad bar on Serenity and free lunch at Guy's BBQ. Jiji's and Cucina also both offer free lunch on all days; might be a good place to hit up embarkation day to avoid the crowds at Guy's Burgers or the buffet. Don't miss the cakes at the buffet for lunch - so good! Definitely don't miss the Skyride bike, ropes course, mini-golf, and water slides for the kids, all included. Comedy is great too and they have PG shows for the kids (though the adult shows are GREAT for the adults!). I didn't find the MDR food to be that great for dinner but there are enough specialty restaurants and other options, though that may not be financially feasible for a group your size. Cucina (at dinner when it's a pay restaurant) was absolutely incredible though, great value for the cost, and Italian is kid-friendly, if you're wanting to splurge for one special night.

Thanks so much. This is such good information!  

On 1/1/2023 at 10:04 AM, deelightfull said:

We were on the Panorama with our one 15 year old, and I'm going to be that grumpy cruiser that didn't spend any extra money on the ship except for photos and wifi (for sea days). 🤷 He did look longingly at the sky zone, but I never got over there to investigate the prices.  I do know Build a Bear was INCREDIBLY popular and if I had a younger one the Suess green eggs and ham meal looked fun. 😁

Green Eggs and Ham is on my radar.  Thanks.  

4 hours ago, Derbie said:

Thanks!  The three older kids are a bit on the timid, so this would be good for them.

VERY important they go to orientation that first night     Tell them to stay for ice breakers  

If after that 45 min they decided its not for them at least they tried.    I make it mandatory the kids go to that.   I tell them I gave them the cruise- the least they can do for me is 45 min at this club 

7 hours ago, Derbie said:

jI have read more than once that we should visit Jiji's, so it will be on my list.  Is it free of charge on the first day on the ship or the first full sea day?  Thanks.

It's always free at lunch (different menu than the for-fee dinner menu) - first day, sea day, port days, all the same.

Pig and Anchor (BBQ place) is the for-fee restaurant that has a free lunch on sea days and embarkation day only.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/1/2023 at 1:58 PM, allinwonderland said:

just wondering if anyone has updates on getting off the ship in Mazatlan with the reported Cartel violence?