Anyone Currently on Explorer?

Trunkabella

6 minutes ago, Pcardad said:

Are you certain that this company was not on the approved list or are you saying that this company did not have to be on the approved list....

Since I have no idea what the company is, I can't say whether it is on the approved list or not, but it does not have to be.

41 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

If you read the NZ regulations, the only "government approved" cleaning services are those that a vessel uses within 24 hours of entering NZ waters, and only in NZ waters.  I understand the Explorer was cleaned in Australia waters, so the cleaning contractor is not "approved" by the NZ government.

Typically, hulls are not cleaned regularly, except in dry dock.  NZ rules are a mandatory version of the IMO guidelines regarding hull fouling, and if a cruise line maintains records of following the guidelines set by IMO, then cleaning is not required.  As noted, the IMO has already accepted hull fouling guidelines, worldwide, and I would expect way more countries to adopt these as regulations in the coming years, and within a decade they will be mandatory worldwide.  See my comment above about the "approved" company.

The same as every other ship, cruise or otherwise, in the world, you clean the hull at dry dock, or when a local regulation requires it.

Again, the cleaning company was not "approved".

In addition to my comments that have been linked here from the Cunard forum, if growth is particularly "hard" (heavy mollusk encrustation), the brush carts used will not work, as they will simply crawl over the encrustation.  Then it falls to hand scraping by the divers, which is extremely difficult, physically exhausting, and very time consuming for the divers.

Other ships have been turned away from NZ than cruise ships, it is just that cruise ships get the publicity.

Hull cleaning is not limited to a 30 day time limit, as someone posted.  The inspection/cleaning needs to be done within 30 days prior to entering NZ waters, and then if the ship maintains records of how they are meeting the IMO biofouling guidelines (or the NZ regulations, which are the same), they do not need to have another inspection or cleaning.

They were cleaned in NZ also and I believe the Australian company meet the approval requirements and it was passed.  The fouling is probably in Auckland already.

11 minutes ago, Lonedaddy said:

They were cleaned in NZ also and I believe the Australian company meet the approval requirements and it was passed.  The fouling is probably in Auckland already.

Was the NZ cleaning before or after the Oz cleaning?

9 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

In addition to my comments that have been linked here from the Cunard forum, if growth is particularly "hard" (heavy mollusk encrustation), the brush carts used will not work, as they will simply crawl over the encrustation.  Then it falls to hand scraping by the divers, which is extremely difficult, physically exhausting, and very time consuming for the divers.

I assume that the hull fouling on cruise ships is very heavy since they were sitting idle for up to 2 years during the pandemic, and have not dry-docked since.

It appears Regent, and other cruise lines, totally underestimated the work required to clean hulls to be compliant. From the various reports it appears that divers spent a total of 5 days (some curtailed by sea conditions) on Explorer’s cleaning; whereas Regent had assumed one day of cleaning would suffice.

• Like 1

On board and we did pass the infamous hull cleaning.  Somehow the next two ports are happening a day late and all the tours in Wellington are a go and the weather looks great.  Christchurch is also a go, but we don’t know if all tours were rescheduled.  Don’t know what happens next, which is Dunedin.   We are suppose to do a overnight night on land that starts in Dunedin,  was looking forward to that, hoping for the best.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Lonedaddy said:

After 

That reinforces to me that the Australian cleaning was not a NZ "approved" cleaning, but a simple commercial cleaning contract, where the contractor and owner decide how much time and expense is to be used, not basing things on governmental regulations.

1 hour ago, irishwitchy said:

Don’t know what happens next, which is Dunedin.   We are suppose to do a overnight night on land that starts in Dunedin,  was looking forward to that, hoping for the best.  

You will enjoy that overnight from Dunedin.  We spent five days in Queenstown as part of a post cruise driving trip in 2019 and the meal served after the sheep show during the Earnslaw excursion is probably one of the best meals we have had on any excursion anywhere in the world.    Hopefully Regent was able to reschedule for one day later.

40 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

That reinforces to me that the Australian cleaning was not a NZ "approved" cleaning, but a simple commercial cleaning contract, where the contractor and owner decide how much time and expense is to be used, not basing things on governmental regulations.

The RSSC letter (January 02?) included in post #11 of this thread indicates that RSSC encountered difficulties locating suitable contractors & a suitable location to have the necessary hull cleaning carried out.

An RSSC spokesperson on another social media site stated on January 13 "........... Cleaning operations have been executed twice prior to the ship’s entry to New Zealand, most recently on January 4. Both operations were carried out by diving companies recognized by New Zealand’s Ministry for Primary Industries. Following an inspection by New Zealand authorities while the ship was in port in Auckland on January 12, New Zealand’s Ministry for Primary Industries has instructed the ship to repeat the cleaning operation. The additional cleaning will take place on January 13, 2023 ................."

In the event it appears that cleaning operations were not completed to an acceptable standard until January 15.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, flossie009 said:

The RSSC letter (January 02?) included in post #11 of this thread indicates that RSSC encountered difficulties locating suitable contractors & a suitable location to have the necessary hull cleaning carried out.

An RSSC spokesperson on another social media site stated on January 13 "........... Cleaning operations have been executed twice prior to the ship’s entry to New Zealand, most recently on January 4. Both operations were carried out by diving companies recognized by New Zealand’s Ministry for Primary Industries. Following an inspection by New Zealand authorities while the ship was in port in Auckland on January 12, New Zealand’s Ministry for Primary Industries has instructed the ship to repeat the cleaning operation. The additional cleaning will take place on January 13, 2023 ................."

In the event it appears that cleaning operations were not completed to an acceptable standard until January 15.

That matches up with what I heard.....ty.

• Like 1

After a nice day in Wellington we will proceed to Christchurch then timaru with some limited excursions.  Then to Dunedin and we skip the fjords and then skip but also skip Tasmania .  I get NZ not allowing the ship in the fjords beyond regent control stupid but that is on NZ , However no explanation given why we miss Tasmania !!! That was a big unique port and instead we got timaru.  That is on regent and they didn’t not handle this well imop.  I have to evaluate if I want to cancel my 90 days of cruising with them in 23/24😡

Edited by Lonedaddy

12 minutes ago, Lonedaddy said:

After a nice day in Wellington we will proceed to Christchurch then timaru with some limited excursions.  Then to Dunedin and we skip the fjords and then skip but also skip Tasmania .  I get NZ not allowing the ship in the fjords beyond regent control stupid but that is on NZ , However no explanation given why we miss Tasmania !!! That was a big unique port and instead we got timaru

So sorry to hear you’ve lost Fiordland - that’s not good and why skip Tasmania 

Sorry to tell you but there ain’t much in Timaru - would have been much better to spend 2 days in Christchurch or Dunedin - many more options available from their 

So is there any offer of compensation at all? Although that simply doesn’t make up for the list opportunity given people have travelled from around the world to experience the beauty of NZ and Tasmania 

19 hours ago, Stickman1990 said:

So sorry to hear you’ve lost Fiordland - that’s not good and why skip Tasmania 

Sorry to tell you but there ain’t much in Timaru - would have been much better to spend 2 days in Christchurch or Dunedin - many more options available from their 

So is there any offer of compensation at all? Although that simply doesn’t make up for the list opportunity given people have travelled from around the world to experience the beauty of NZ and Tasmania 

I agree Timaru is a waste of time would rather just get back on schedule with Christchurch and Dunedin but they may have had issues pushing Dunedin out a day.    We will arrive to Melbourne at 11 instead of 8 am.  Regent has offered an FCC of 30% of the cruise only fare.  

• Thanks 1

We’re on Explorer and so upset by the itinerary changes.  So far, we have missed Bay of Isles and Napier.  Going forward, we will miss the fiords and Tasmania.  They have given us $500 pp shipboard credit and 30% FCC.  

I don’t feel that Regent has been transparent about his situation.  At various times, the divers have had to suspend operations because of sunset, so they obviously were not finished with their work.  But miraculously, the next morning the ship is cleared for all of New Zealand.  But, wait, no - they won’t clear us for one of the highlights of cruising New Zealand, the fiords.  And we’re missing Tasmania.

I think that the on board staff has done the best that they could to salvage this cruise, but the reality is that Regent wasn’t ready to comply with the NZ requirements for this cruise, yet they still let all of us travel long distances to sit on a ship and go to places (Gisborne and Timaru) that are of little interest.

Shipboard credits for below average boutiques and overpriced spa treatments and FCCs for a cruise line that you cannot trust do little to assuage disappointment.  We are Regent Gold and were big Regent fans.  We are totally rethinking this…..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I’m one night short of gold.  My trust factor is shot with Regent.  Not the way I wanted to start a 32 day adventure.   All, I can hope for is the next part of the cruise doesn’t have any big hiccups. Learned a lesson,  back to planning my own land trips for stuff, I really wanted to see.  

I guess I will use my credit for a simple cruise to the Caribbean, not going 1/2 way around the world again it see another botanical garden(which I really like, but so much for the glow worms).  Very disappointed.  

Based on the comments from tour guides and other locals the NZ govt has made many foolish policies that have been very short sighted and caused huge problems (e.g. the egg shortage) 

But I do think regent botched the importance of some of the ports and fjords missing and the substitute ports were and most like will be a bust art gallery’s and botanic gardens are not what I came to NZ to see!

1 hour ago, Lonedaddy said:

Based on the comments from tour guides and other locals the NZ govt has made many foolish policies that have been very short sighted and caused huge problems (e.g. the egg shortage) 

But I do think regent botched the importance of some of the ports and fjords missing and the substitute ports were and most like will be a bust art gallery’s and botanic gardens are not what I came to NZ to see!

Yes. Not sure if the hull cleaning passed for the more 'environmentally sensitive' areas so those destinations won't see a visit. See: https://maritime-executive.com/article/fourth-cruise-hit-with-biofouling-as-new-zealand-and-industry-meet   Hope the rest of the cruise is uneventful and everyone enjoys it.

On a positive note, the small town of Timaru had a great Thai massage place.  90 minutes for $120 New Zealand dollars and no tip required!  That killed the price on the ship -  supported the local economy.  Had a great lunch at the Oxford, visited the Sacred Heart Basilica and purchased yarn at the sewing store.  

Mind you my tour tomorrow which was suppose to be four hours and leave at 10, has been changed to 12:10 and we are supposed to be on the ship by 3:30.  Ironically, I tried to speak to destinations services at 7:15 tonight to ask a general question, but they were all gone for the night.  Came back to the room at 11 to find the time change which makes no sense.  So I guess I need to get up 7 and go speak to them.  Mind you I was suppose to be on the land overnight, which got  cancelled because of the infamous hull issue.  My excursion in Melbourne had also been cancelled, sure glad I planned all this stuff, which isn’t quite happening.  😞 according to my husband,  I’m normally rather positive,  but this is testing me!   Time to sleep!  

• Like 2

Irishwitchy, it’s testing us, too.  We tested positive for COVID, so we’re confined to our cabin until we test negative (hopefully Melbourne).  We are being well taken care of, but it seems like this trip was not meant to be for us.  On the positive side, our missing suitcase was delivered today!

• Like 3