Gratuities via shipboard credit

kbert92069

I have searched but can't find the answers for this Viking newbie.  What's the benefit of prepaying gratuities?  I know I can use shipboard credit to prepay gratuities but if I don't prepay can I still use that credit to pay them while onboard?

Thanks.

Yes, you can use your shipboard credit to pay for gratuities once on board. or anything else on board that strikes your fancy.

Welcome  to Viking forum and your first Viking Cruise. Where are you going ?

42 minutes ago, Azulann said:

Yes, you can use your shipboard credit to pay for gratuities once on board. or anything else on board that strikes your fancy.

Headed In Search of the Northern Lights on the Venus in February

• Like 1

Many people say do not pre pay gratuities IF you are thinking of booking your next Viking cruise on board. Booking on board often offers perks that you cannot get booking elsewhere.  They could include a more favorable final payment date, on board credit for current cruise, on board credit for your future cruise and double the Explorers Club discount.  They use that new on board credit for the gratuity.

• Like 3

TayanaLorna is as usual correct. Another reason to not prepay is if for some reason your cruise is canceled, that is additional money that will be tied up waiting for a refund or in a voucher.

It’s my opinion that the only reason to prepay is when you have vouchers that MUST be used before boarding. As this is your first Viking Cruise, that won’t be the case for you. But for folks whose cruises were canceled during COVID, it’s often necessary to prepay to be sure they don’t loose any funds. 

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2416372-tips-for-new-viking-ocean-cruisers/page/62/#comment-62141739 you haven’t already, you ought to take a look at this thread-lots of tips and advice on making the most of your cruise:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2416372-tips-for-new-viking-ocean-cruisers/page/62/#comment-62141739

Welcome to Viking!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Azulann said:

Not quite true. Shipboard credits come in flavors and some of them are limited in what they can be used for and if they can be refunded at the end of the cruise or not.

No sense in guessing. My suggestion is to ask Viking exactly what your credits can be used for and if they are refundable. Give them your booking number and they can tell you exactly what you are holding and how they can be used.

Combine that with what Tanaya and Clay have explained to decide how and when to use your credits.

• Like 2