Is lackluster phone service typical?

TechSurfer

We are (or possibly were) looking at a Windstar cruise that can either start or end in Colón, Panama.  But we couldn't figure out the airfare, so I called their 800 number in the banner of their website.

On the bright side, I spent less than two minutes on hold, and the agent who answered speaks perfect English.

On the dark side, she apparently is charged $200 a word, and an extra $500 penalty if she's rated "helpful."  Her answers were single words, no volunteered information, even though her tone was pleasant.  I felt like a hard boiled detective in a film noir trying to extract information from an uncooperative suspect.

By the same I surrendered, what I believe I now know is:

• Fly in (or out) of Panama.  Which is like 50 miles away.  (She didn't say this, but I already knew.)
  • Let them know and they will add a "transfer" (bus ticket) to your reservation.
  • The ride takes about an hour

What I don't know:

• Anything about cost - it sounded like it was extra cost, but she certainly wasn't going to volunteer such valuable information!
  • How many of these transfers run a day - i.e. how long we'll be waiting
  • Is it their transfer or a third party, or just a ticket on a regular bus?  (I did ask and she completely avoided answering.)

I am curious about these questions, but now I'm even more curious about whether Windstar has dreadful customer service.  Other than a minor date screw-up, which was fixed quickly once we pointed it out, we felt well taken care of on the Paul Gaugin (now Ponant.)  Will we regret travelling Windstar?

2 hours ago, TechSurfer said:

We are (or possibly were) looking at a Windstar cruise that can either start or end in Colón, Panama.  But we couldn't figure out the airfare, so I called their 800 number in the banner of their website.

On the bright side, I spent less than two minutes on hold, and the agent who answered speaks perfect English.

On the dark side, she apparently is charged $200 a word, and an extra $500 penalty if she's rated "helpful."  Her answers were single words, no volunteered information, even though her tone was pleasant.  I felt like a hard boiled detective in a film noir trying to extract information from an uncooperative suspect.

By the same I surrendered, what I believe I now know is:

• Fly in (or out) of Panama.  Which is like 50 miles away.  (She didn't say this, but I already knew.)
  • Let them know and they will add a "transfer" (bus ticket) to your reservation.
  • The ride takes about an hour

What I don't know:

• Anything about cost - it sounded like it was extra cost, but she certainly wasn't going to volunteer such valuable information!
  • Is it their transfer or a third party, or just a ticket on a regular bus?  (I did ask and she completely avoided answering.)

I am curious about these questions, but now I'm even more curious about whether Windstar has dreadful customer service.  Other than a minor date screw-up, which was fixed quickly once we pointed it out, we felt well taken care of on the Paul Gaugin (now Ponant.)  Will we regret travelling Windstar?

I have embarked from Colon on 3 Windstar cruises and always took their bus transport to Colon from Panama City, which you pick up at the hotel they have made arrangements with. I believe it cost me $79/person and was, to me, well worth it. On one occasion, the bus broke down, and a replacement was sent immediately. Because the transport is arranged by Windstar, the ship would never leave without the passengers on the transport. In a country like Panama, that is an assurance that makes me happy. I have been on 10 Windstar cruises and have never regretted it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TechSurfer said:

What I don't know:

We have used their bus from their hotel in downtown Panama City and it works fine.  They also have some snacks, water etc while waiting.  You can also take a taxi from the airport or your hotel.  I recall about $100 from the hotel area in PC so maybe if there were 2 or more a taxi might be less expensive.  The train would be nice but the timing has never worked for us.  We have used a taxi in both directions several times.

• Like 1

Customer service is inconsistent. Some are brand new, some have been on the phones for years. If you don’t get an acceptable answer, hang up and call back for a different experience.

We arranged with a tour guide to drive us to the port in Colon with a stop in Portobelo to visit the Royal customs house and the fort there before arriving at the ship in the early afternoon.

It cost less for two people than the Windstar transfer.

Most cruise lines have the same problem with their call centers.

They cannot hire foreign staff like they have on the ships.

They are forced to hire American employees for these entry-level jobs.

The entry-level employees are not entirely motivated to do their jobs well.

8 hours ago, Donald said:

They are forced to hire American employees for these entry-level jobs.

The entry-level employees are not entirely motivated to do their jobs well.

It is frustrating to me that we can’t get basic questions answered sometimes … it’s not just Windstar, we had a recent issue with Viking as well. In the past we had Viking operators who knew the line and the ships and were very helpful. Now we get someone who is clearly a contractor working from home, reading a script and making guesses because they may never have even seen a ship much less been on a cruise.

If you treat workers like they are disposable they will work accordingly. And the lines have mostly decided that customers who prefer to do business by phone deserve low-tier disposable service.

On 1/5/2023 at 5:26 PM, Host Jazzbeau said:

The best call center personnel seem to be transferred to the Travel Agents' private lines.  Don't fight it – use a TA!

This is probably good advice and explains a lot. I have not found a good TA yet, but I have another referral to try for next time.

On 1/3/2023 at 6:57 PM, TechSurfer said:

Thank you.  Nice to know the bus is rational.  But was this meh customer service/support typical of Windstar?  It left a pretty bad feeling.

In my experience, yes. I found agents to be ill-informed and snippy, quick to take my money for a booking but not helpful or forthcoming with information any other time I call.