Car Seat Question

richbum

We are leaving out of Tampa...we weren't planning on bringing my 16 month old grandsons carseat but might be rethinking that. We have 5 port stops, grand cayman, belize, roatan, costa maya and cozumel. We have a couple of excursions planned (Mr. Sanchos, & Daniel Johnsons) but thought about doing something in Grand Cayman as well....the other 2 ports will just be staying close to the port. Should we bring his carseat for excursions, or not bother?

Thanks in advance

5 hours ago, richbum said:

We have a couple of excursions planned (Mr. Sanchos, & Daniel Johnsons)

are you doing them through the cruise ship or by yourself?

if through the cruise ship, you will usually be on a shuttle bus, so no need for a car seat.

If by yourself, you will need to take a taxi, and in a taxi I would definitely use a car seat, especially in a foreign country.  What does your grandson use at home? If it's a big and heavy seat, you may want to look into a travel friendly seat like Cosco Scenera NEXT or Evenflo Tribute. They easily attach to a stroller or a suitcase with a bungee cord. Your adult kid should use the car seat on the plane if they bought a separate ticket for the baby. If they didn't, make sure they gate check the car seat instead of checking it with the luggage.

I post a lot about traveling with car seats on this forum, and also this forum is very useful: 

https://community.babycenter.com/groups/a10635/traveling_with_children

Taxis in other countries may not have latch/isofix and the seat belts may not lock like they do in American cars, so it's useful to bring a seat belt locking clip and practice installing a seat with a locking clip at home.

Yeah, Costa Maya's port is very nice and has a free pool, a dolphin show, flamingoes, etc. so you don't have to go anywhere. Although, the beach is nice.

Edited by Itchy&Scratchy
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

I second the “bring the car seat” if you are traveling by taxi. You’ll hear ALOT of statements that the taxis don’t have seat belts or non-functioning seat belts. We did encounter that at some ports but I would tell them I needed a taxi with working seat belts and always was able to get one. I have traveled the same itinerary you are a couple of times and kids were in car seats. Only one time in Tortola was I told they did not have a taxi with car seats so I said that’s fine, we’ll just head back to ship then and they miraculously had a taxi with seat belts show up 🙂

• Like 2

• 1 month later...