Marina Amazon - late

janecambridge

Never heard that excuse - 'optimize arrival and departure times' - (i.e. - going slow to burn less?). 
Seems like ALL Oceania arrival and departure times would also be impacted by this new direction, but haven't read any posts about other ships being late or early impacting excursion as published by Oceania.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, HHI Cruiser1 said:

Never heard that excuse - 'optimize arrival and departure times' - (i.e. - going slow to burn less?). 
Seems like ALL Oceania arrival and departure times would also be impacted by this new direction, but haven't read any posts about other ships being late or early impacting excursion as published by Oceania.

Exactly the same wording they keep using on NCL.  I guess Jr learned it from Daddy.

The posted letter is gibberish. If anyone who received it is able to query senior staff on board as to the connection between carbon footprint and "optimized arrival / departure times" I'd be fascinated to hear the answer. 🍺🥌

• Like 5

3 hours ago, HHI Cruiser1 said:

Well we wondered if this would impact any other ships? 
Today scheduled  09.00hrs and ETA is 10.00hrs. Not bad!! 
It is a blow at times for private tour users. Especially when two days running we tendered instead of docking! The first day was over 2 hours late plus the extra of tendering. Mutiny on the ship. 
But seriously it leaves such little time for the crew to exit the ship and relax or do necessary shopping . 

18 hours ago, HHI Cruiser1 said:

Today we received the same letter for our January 30 Regatta voyage between Auckland and Sydney. Several arrival times were revised half an hour to an hour later; several departure times revised to half an hour to an hour earlier.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, JDincalif said:

Today we received the same letter for our January 30 Regatta voyage between Auckland and Sydney. Several arrival times were revised half an hour to an hour later; several departure times revised to half an hour to an hour earlier.

This is BS. Shortening the time in port isn't going to do anything to reduce the carbon footprint. It's more likely a move to generate more onboard spending by keeping people on the ship longer. I try not to do business with woke companies, I never thought Oceania was one. I'm going to have to reevaluate taking my Sept. Sirena cruise if O starts tinkering with the in port times. Doesn't O advertise longer times in ports as a benefit to cruising with them?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JDincalif said:

Which ports were affected the most with a shortened stay ?

What would be an example of the new timings in port where passengers are likely to be touring for much of the day ?

I appreciate the updates on ship arrival and departure times and will be interested to see if or how our upcoming cruises will be affected. In the meantime, I wonder if it would be possible to stick to the facts that are known and not make political speculations? I am specifically referring to the use of the term “woke.” 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 5

39 minutes ago, Tranquility Base said:

Which ports were affected the most with a shortened stay ?

What would be an example of the new timings in port where passengers are likely to be touring for much of the day ?

Screenshot_20230105-142638.png

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, susiesan said:

This is BS. Shortening the time in port isn't going to do anything to reduce the carbon footprint. It's more likely a move to generate more onboard spending by keeping people on the ship longer. I try not to do business with woke companies, I never thought Oceania was one. I'm going to have to reevaluate taking my Sept. Sirena cruise if O starts tinkering with the in port times. Doesn't O advertise longer times in ports as a benefit to cruising with them?

If I had a dollar for every time you threatened to not cruise on Oceania anymore I could probably put a deposit down onboard my next cruise. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 14

1 hour ago, susiesan said:

Details of the NCL program and a link to contact NCL directly with your comments, questions and concerns can be found here

I just got my notification on my Sirena cruise next week.  Looks like O wants to reduce their carbon footprint by reducing speed and saving fuel.  The fuel savings cost was certainly not the chief motivator, says no one at all.  

For this particular cruise the ship is my main destination but if this was chosen based on itinerary I think I would prefer a fuel supplement.   

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, njhorseman said:

Allowing more time at sea between ports reduces fuel costs. Ships burn less fuel per hour at slower cruising speeds, just as your automobile burns less fuel per mile at slower speeds.

Exactly.  Not that I'm defending O's decision, but sometimes you gotta change your plan when trying to reach a new or different goal.

• Like 1