Verizon Cruise Ship/Airline Plan Question

llarsen

Hi,

We will be on the Sky Princess next month visiting Cozumel/Honduras/Belize/CostaMaya.

I notice Verizon now has a CruiseShip/Airplane plan that I've never seen before. 

It's $20 for a month for 50MB.

Has anyone used this aboard a cruise ship? It seems a lot cheaper than a cruise internet package.

Just wondering how it works and that I won't incur additional charges connecting to the ships tower.

Thanks!

Screen Shot 2023-01-04 at 5.42.39 PM.png

4 minutes ago, llarsen said:

Hi,

We will be on the Sky Princess next month visiting Cozumel/Honduras/Belize/CostaMaya.

I notice Verizon now has a CruiseShip/Airplane plan that I've never seen before. 

It's $20 for a month for 50MB.

Has anyone used this aboard a cruise ship? It seems a lot cheaper than a cruise internet package.

Just wondering how it works and that I won't incur additional charges connecting to the ships tower.

Thanks!

Screen Shot 2023-01-04 at 5.42.39 PM.png

Interesting. It wasn't available in November on my ship. I wonder if you can then use your phone as a hotspot for your laptop.

Looks like plan came out in 2020:

https://www.verizon.com/articles/verizon-unlimited-plans/4-ways-to-stay-connected-on-a-cruise-ship/ 

Edited by Coral

5 minutes ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

You will burn through 50mb in NO TIME!  I personally would not count on it.

I'm not good at figuring out how much MB, or GB equals.

I would only use it to connect and send off an email or maybe post pics on FB. 

Not sure how much that would use?

2 minutes ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

OK...I looked a bit more in-depth in that article.  It only covers talk and text...no internet!

There is a talk and text plan. But it also says for those on cruiseships who want to use data...there is $20 Monthly plan?

Verizon international plans on a cruise ship

Verizon offers a new $20 International Monthly Plan for travelers interested in using data on select cruise ships and airplanes. Should service be available aboard, customers will receive a SMS offer for a 50 MB allowance. After that, you’ll just need to respond “yes” to get started. Please note that this a non-recurring plan.

Talking and text messaging are available on more than 400 ships from well over a dozen different cruise lines. Check whether texting and calling service is available on your cruise ship and whether your device will work.

26 minutes ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

Perhaps I am interpreting it wrong...wouldn't be the first time I've been wrong!

LOL, who knows? It sounds awfully cheap, so I'm wondering what the catch is...

It says for talk/text you can pay as you go at $2.99 a minute or .50 text sen and .05 for texts received.

But it says for data on cruise ships to get the International Plan for Cruiseships and Airplanes $20.00 for 50MG. 

Hopefully someone here will have used it and be able to inform us about it.

1 hour ago, llarsen said:

I'm not good at figuring out how much MB, or GB equals.

I would only use it to connect and send off an email or maybe post pics on FB. 

Not sure how much that would use?

You would potentially be fine with basic emails but you will burn through that extremely quickly if you even get on FB or any social media that is loaded with pictures and/or videos. You may not even get through a day if you start trying to post pictures on FB.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, skynight said:

Confused. Ships at sea connect via satellite. I can see the use when you are close to land or in port. But, how will you connect your phone or device to the network if you don't use the ship's satellite connection system?

I'm not sure exactly how it works. I think I will pass on this Verizon plan. As others said...I would burn through the data very quickly posting photos etc. 

12 minutes ago, gottagocit said:

As a Verizon user you should be able to utilize wi-if calling and pay nothing for calls or texts assuming you’re buying a WiFi package on the ship or in a hotel overseas. We’ve done it many times.

Really no different from making free international calls via wifi from a hotel room. I’ve done that many times. 

• Like 1