PRE DEPARTURE BROCHURE

Tablelamp

37 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

You can make surveys say what you want (to get the answer you want) by the way questions are phrased.  You then use the survey 'responses' to do what you wanted to do in the first place and are then able to justify it ...............

I'm not cynical really ...................

I mean survey as in someone stood at the port looking at what was actually on the suitcases.

• Thanks 3

Just now, molecrochip said:

I mean survey as in someone stood at the port looking at what was actually on the suitcases.

Hi, thanks for that and I get it, but the brochure was more than just the tags and I do feel that it all represents the bigger picture that many of the 'little things' are being / have been chipped away and the brand (and its reputation) is worse for that. (Sorry for the long sentence!)

I remember picking up out first PO brochure in awe that we could even think of cruising with them as the name really meant something. To see its transformation over just 12 years in to a more 'cheap and cheerful' line that does not seem to cherish its own history / tradition is sad. Just my opinion.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Presto2 said:

To see its transformation over just 12 years in to a more 'cheap and cheerful' line that does not seem to cherish its own history / tradition is sad. Just my opinion.

I think the issue is,  that if the transformation was not made,  P&O would no longer be in existence.

• Like 2

On 1/7/2023 at 11:06 PM, wowzz said:

I think the issue is,  that if the transformation was not made,  P&O would no longer be in existence.

Completely agree. Each generation want something different and if you don't change, you die (as a business).

People like to compare cursing to 25 years ago when Oriana was new to the fleet. At that time there was a very heavy sway to passengers of 65 years+. Problem is the majority of those passengers aren't alive anymore. The current generation of 65+ are known to be healthier, fitter, less formal, more geographically mobile, more IT literate. I could go on. The next generation even more so.

You have to adapt.

At the same time, P&O have changed their core focus from 65+ to multi-generational cruising. So aim at 25-65 market and pull in the under 25s and 65+ at the edges.

I guess what I'm saying is that in the last 25 years, P&O has shifted its focus through two generations rather than just one.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, molecrochip said:

Completely agree. Each generation want something different and if you don't change, you die (as a business).

People like to compare cursing to 25 years ago when Oriana was new to the fleet. At that time there was a very heavy sway to passengers of 65 years+. Problem is the majority of those passengers aren't alive anymore. The current generation of 65+ are known to be healthier, fitter, less formal, more geographically mobile, more IT literate. I could go on. The next generation even more so.

You have to adapt.

At the same time, P&O have changed their core focus from 65+ to multi-generational cruising. So aim at 25-65 market and pull in the under 25s and 65+ at the edges.

I guess what I'm saying is that in the last 25 years, P&O has shifted its focus through two generations rather than just one.

While this makes complete sense on paper, I still feel it is a risky shift in focus at this particular time with the economy as it is. On the whole it is the 65+ who are least affected by the cost of living crisis, with fully-paid-up mortgages and the time to travel, whereas the core demographic are having to cut back drastically. Time will tell.

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, molecrochip said:

You have to adapt.

As a fit and active couple who travel..lots and are 73/67 your admission that we are now of only at the edge of interest to P&O is telling. Perhaps ' edge ' is where we should spend our money.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Host Sharon said:

While this makes complete sense on paper, I still feel it is a risky shift in focus at this particular time with the economy as it is.

True, but you need to look at a 10 to 20 year time frame when determining your mid to long term strategy, and not be swayed by short term blips. 

17 minutes ago, zap99 said:

As a fit and active couple who travel..lots and are 73/67 your admission that we are now of only at the edge of interest to P&O is telling. Perhaps ' edge ' is where we should spend our money.

At the edge because you may only be cruising for another 10 years! 

P&O need to attract those with 40 years ahead of them. 

16 minutes ago, wowzz said:

At the edge because you may only be cruising for another 10 years! 

P&O need to attract those with 40 years ahead of them. 

I read that post as saying we are of only marginal interest to P&O. Interesting that they have this fixation with Eric&Ern. I think maybe our cash isn't really wanted, but they will accept it at a pinch. I found Moley's post quite a relegation. Methinks I need to look elsewhere. Celebrity/RC.

• Like 2

On 1/7/2023 at 6:49 PM, Presto2 said:

I find this really disappointing - used to love getting my brochure and have kept them all with the sticky labels on them from our excursions. Have kept them with the end of cruise logs we used to get from the cruise. Bet they are going too ..

I am worried that all the little things I used to think made a cruise special have gone or are on their way.

Sad

We used to do that - stick our little tour badges on the excursion brochure after the tour was done! 

On 1/7/2023 at 3:35 PM, molecrochip said:

In surveys taken before phasing out the brochures, over 50% of cases used printed or terminal supplied labels - so they were not being used to the degree that they used to be. They were going in the bin.

If you booked a saver fare you didn't receive a brochure (or at least I never did), a select booking received a brochure.   If 50% booked using saver fares then it's hardly surprising that people who were not sent printed labels didn't use something that they were not provided with.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, crompton21 said:

If you booked a saver fare you didn't receive a brochure (or at least I never did), a select booking received a brochure.   If 50% booked using saver fares then it's hardly surprising that people who were not sent printed labels didn't use something that they were not provided with.

Perhaps P&O thought that all the oldies would have trouble using the labels, what with their arthritic old fingers......Oh! Doris ....do we have to go and see Eric&Ern again.🤣

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, zap99 said:

Perhaps P&O thought that all the oldies would have trouble using the labels, what with their arthritic old fingers......Oh! Doris ....do we have to go and see Eric&Ern again.🤣

Eric & Ern were the ghosts of Christmas past in the Sky Christmas film Christmas Carole - remake based on a modern Scrooge starring Suranne Jones.  It was very interesting and I wondered what younger viewers might make of them, then my 28 year old niece informed me Christmas isn't Christmas without Eric & Ern.

41 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

Eric & Ern were the ghosts of Christmas past in the Sky Christmas film Christmas Carole - remake based on a modern Scrooge starring Suranne Jones.  It was very interesting and I wondered what younger viewers might make of them, then my 28 year old niece informed me Christmas isn't Christmas without Eric & Ern.

MB. With the utmost respect and admiration, I hope your niece doesn't get a job booking acts for P&O.🤣. On Britannia the Paloma Faith tribute said she was pleased to be playing to packed audiences, 90% of whom didn't have a clue who Paloma Faith was.

• Haha 3

43 minutes ago, zap99 said:

MB. With the utmost respect and admiration, I hope your niece doesn't get a job booking acts for P&O.🤣. On Britannia the Paloma Faith tribute said she was pleased to be playing to packed audiences, 90% of whom didn't have a clue who Paloma Faith was.

She runs a dance school. Thinking about it a lot of her productions for 3 to 16 year olds could teach some of the P&O acts I've seen onboard recently a thing or two!

Paloma presumably is to appeal to the new demographic - probably should be Lorde or Space Afrika or the wonderfully named LUV NRG Soundsystem tributes from now on.

Seriously Eric & Ern were very good as the ghosts of Christmas past ...

Edited by Megabear2
  • Like 1

On 1/9/2023 at 10:36 AM, zap99 said:

I read that post as saying we are of only marginal interest to P&O. Interesting that they have this fixation with Eric&Ern. I think maybe our cash isn't really wanted, but they will accept it at a pinch. I found Moley's post quite a relegation. Methinks I need to look elsewhere. Celebrity/RC.

I would guess that both their target demographics will be even lower than P&Os but, just like P&O, they will happily take your money.

7 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

I would guess that both their target demographics will be even lower than P&Os but, just like P&O, they will happily take your money.

Could well be the case but the standards and service offered there are currently higher and once onboard everyone appears to be well treated the same. Their loyalty offerings appear to be very good as well which indicates their repeat travellers are valued.