Help me choose between RCL and NCL for Canada/New England cruise

zwallace

We are trying to decide between NCL Sky or RCL Liberty of the Seas for a 2024 cruise. Reviews suggest the Sky is almost too small but also say the food and entertainment are great. Reviews for LIberty suggest it is tired and dated with subpar food, service and entertainment. The NCL is an 11 day from Baltimore ending in Quebec. The RCL is a 9 day r/t from Bayonne, N,J.  We've only sailed with Celebrity and Carnival, so either line will be new to us.  We're active senior citizens in our sixties. I figure with the 9 port itinerary on Sky, we probably won't be staying up too late for shows etc. We can book a balcony on RCL cheaper than an ocean view on Liberty. We have never sailed to Canada/New England I'd  appreciate CC member's opinions on which ship and which cruise to book. Thanks in advance. 

I suggest reading all the reviews you can find on each ship.  Not the 'official reviews' but reviews from people who have sailed on each ship.  It should become obvious which one you'd like the best.  People seem to love and hate things and only by reading a great many reviews can you make the decision.  However, having said this, I'd book a balcony over an ocean view cabin every time.  

• Thanks 1

Have you also considered RC out of Baltimore?  That would most likely be on Vision of the Seas, probably 9 nights.  That would be our personal preference.

We prefer OV over balcony, especially for a cool-weather cruise.  Are you looking at a fall sailing?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, shipgeeks said:

Have you also considered RC out of Baltimore?  That would most likely be on Vision of the Seas, probably 9 nights.  That would be our personal preference.

We prefer OV over balcony, especially for a cool-weather cruise.  Are you looking at a fall sailing?

Yes it would be a September 2024 sailing. We've only done ocean view once, balconies otherwise. We usually sail to Southern Caribbean. and once to Alaska. It's not so much the balcony for these two rooms; the ocean view is 141 square feet, the balcony is 207 square feet with a larger balcony as well. That's a decent size difference. Decisions...

I've been on both ships more than once.  They are not comparable.  Regarding ships alone, there is no way I would choose Sky over Liberty.  The entertainment on Liberty is amazing, as is the ship itself.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, zwallace said:

Yes it would be a September 2024 sailing. We've only done ocean view once, balconies otherwise. We usually sail to Southern Caribbean. and once to Alaska. It's not so much the balcony for these two rooms; the ocean view is 141 square feet, the balcony is 207 square feet with a larger balcony as well. That's a decent size difference. Decisions...

Check those square feets ... sometimes the balcony space is included in the total square feet.  I happen to think this is borderline unethical, but my TA tells me it's been going on for a long time.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, zwallace said:

Check those square feets ... sometimes the balcony space is included in the total square feet.  I happen to think this is borderline unethical, but my TA tells me it's been going on for a long time.  

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, jsn55 said:

What cruise line(s) does that?  I've never seen the balcony included in the SF.  

• Like 1

Between the two choices I would choose the Liberty of the Seas. She's a beautiful ship with many great public spaces, lounges and excellent crew and food. 

I would also highly recommend Princess Cruises which sails a terrific 7-day itinerary from Brooklyn, New York aboard Emerald Princess in 2023 not sure which ship will do the 2024 voyage. 

We've done this itinerary with Princess three times and have enjoyed them all immensely. Beautiful ships, excellent crew, delicious food and great itinerary. 

Port stops include: Newport, Rhode Island - Boston, Mass - Bar Harbor, Maine - Saint John, New Brunswick and Halifax, Nova Scotia. 

While the itinerary is very similar to the Liberty there are two port stops which are different but, completely worth considering. 

Newport and Bar Harbor and really wonderful port stops beautiful scenery and great walking towns with tons of great shops, restaurants and side streets to explore. 

Have a great cruise. 

Jonathan

Edited by cruiserking
  • Thanks 1

I know these cruises are popular, but the best way to see New England is cars, hotels, inns, and throw in a ferry (for Martha’s Vineyard).  This way would get you more time in Boston, Portsmouth, Kennebunkport, Portland, Camden, and Bar Harbor/Acadia. You’d get better views of foliage (rent an SUV) and get to spots you cannot get to on a cruise and truly enjoy New England food.  Second leg would be driving through Vermont and stopping in Burlington to Quebec City and then Montreal.  Unless being on a cruise itself is the top priority, I wouldn’t do this.  I spent almost my whole life in New England.  There are so many options better than a cruise.  If you don’t take my advice, you will still have a great time on a cruise.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, zwallace said:

We are trying to decide between NCL Sky or RCL Liberty of the Seas for a 2024 cruise. Reviews suggest the Sky is almost too small but also say the food and entertainment are great. Reviews for LIberty suggest it is tired and dated with subpar food, service and entertainment. The NCL is an 11 day from Baltimore ending in Quebec. The RCL is a 9 day r/t from Bayonne, N,J.  We've only sailed with Celebrity and Carnival, so either line will be new to us.  We're active senior citizens in our sixties. I figure with the 9 port itinerary on Sky, we probably won't be staying up too late for shows etc. We can book a balcony on RCL cheaper than an ocean view on Liberty. We have never sailed to Canada/New England I'd  appreciate CC member's opinions on which ship and which cruise to book. Thanks in advance. 

Quebec City is just BEAUTIFUL!!!!!  Flying back is sometimes iffy ( I am in Los Angeles..had to fly from Quebec-Toronto-Los Angeles).  Newfoundland is not very exciting, but Halifax is a great city to walk in.  

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, hubofhockey said:

I know these cruises are popular, but the best way to see New England is cars, hotels, inns, and throw in a ferry (for Martha’s Vineyard).  This way would get you more time in Boston, Portsmouth, Kennebunkport, Portland, Camden, and Bar Harbor/Acadia. You’d get better views of foliage (rent an SUV) and get to spots you cannot get to on a cruise and truly enjoy New England food.  Second leg would be driving through Vermont and stopping in Burlington to Quebec City and then Montreal.  Unless being on a cruise itself is the top priority, I wouldn’t do this.  I spent almost my whole life in New England.  There are so many options better than a cruise.  If you don’t take my advice, you will still have a great time on a cruise.

Thank you for your suggestions.   We should have done this ten years ago. Unfortunately, my husband no longer feels comfortable driving to places he's not  familiar with, nor do I. We find cruises to be our best options for setting new places, if only for a short time. 

• Like 2

it's been a few years but my husband and I took 3 adult grandkids with us on the NE/Canada cruise from Baltimore on Royal's Vision of the Seas. Got three ocean-view cabins.  Baltimore is a good port to sail out of....fairly easy to access and plenty of parking.  Also, you get that great view of sailing under the bridge when leaving the port.  We all found the food to be delicious and the waitstaff were wonderful with all the different dietary requirements. Each grandchild was assigned responsibility for activities at a port of their choice.  One took Halifax, another Boston and the third Bar Harbor (although I am not sure any big cruise ships go there now).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, zwallace said:

Thank you for your suggestions.   We should have done this ten years ago. Unfortunately, my husband no longer feels comfortable driving to places he's not  familiar with, nor do I. We find cruises to be our best options for setting new places, if only for a short time. 

Understood, you'll still have a great time and cruises are fun. You'll still see foliage along the route. Just got a look at the itinerary for the Royal Caribbean cruise. I love Boston and Portland and you also get Bar Harbor / Acadia.  

• Like 1