Riedel Comparative Wine Crystal Workshop

kasowell2

On 1/6/2023 at 10:29 AM, padgman1 said:

Yes, I have Riedel Sommelier glasses for Bordeaux and champagne that cost me the proverbial arm and leg, as well as other stemware for red wine.....

I was a devotee of Riedel for almost 20 years, until I tried Zalto glasses around 9-10 years ago.  They're expensive but much less than a Sommelier stem and I swear that the wine tastes even better in them.  Best of all, they're the most elegant wine glasses I've ever owned, light as a feather yet no more fragile. And if you're traveling to Europe (pre/post a cruise maybe??), you can pick them up for 40% less than in the U.S.  Now...what to do with the 32 Sommelier and 48 vinum stems stored in my basement, unused for the past decade??!  A high class problem, for sure.

I'd highly recommend this session to anyone who loves wine, even without free glasses.  I conducted this same experiment at home with friends about 15 years ago (both cab and pinot)--generic glass, low end Riedel glass, vinum glass and Sommelier glass.  We were skeptics, but there was a noticeable difference with each 'step up' in price--although the smallest increase was between the vinum vs the Sommelier, which is funny because at that time the latter was 4-5x the price of the former.  Go figure.

Anyway, drink in good health, everyone!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Whinenowine said:

And if you're traveling to Europe (pre/post a cruise maybe??), you can pick them up for 40% less than in the U.S.

I'm doing a 15 night TA in April Florida to Amsterdam well actually now Rotterdam they just changed the debarkation port. Where can I get them in Europe?  

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

A number of people have point this out to me.  

I will be sure to be on the lookout in April. 

My cabin steward was leaving a small white thick stemmed wine glass in my cabin every evening not enough for a decent pour of a cabernet until I told him not to and just brought my own Reidel on my way to the cabin.  I see Reidel is now selling a variety called Wings a bit Squarish at the bottom not really to my liking. 

3 minutes ago, drakes2 said:

My cabin steward was leaving a small white thick stemmed wine glass in my cabin every evening not enough for a decent pour of a cabernet until I told him not to and just brought my own Reidel on my way to the cabin.  I see Reidel is now selling a variety called Wings a bit Squarish at the bottom not really to my liking. 

I like the traditional designs and see no reason to change.  

A motto that I believe in ---   'if it works, don't mess with it', or words to that effect.

1 hour ago, DaKahuna said:

I like the traditional designs and see no reason to change.  

A motto that I believe in ---   'if it works, don't mess with it', or words to that effect.

I guess I'm spoiled as I do enjoy my good wines with the appropriate Reidel glass to match.  DH still can't figure it out as he's a non drinker.  

I consider Reidel glasses my every day drinkers, I have close to twenty mostly Vinum series.  I have some nicer crystal from a company called Grassl which is similar to Zalto but quite a bit more affordable then the Zaltos.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, drakes2 said:

I'm doing a 15 night TA in April Florida to Amsterdam well actually now Rotterdam they just changed the debarkation port. Where can I get them in Europe?  

Hmmm...I had bought from Farr Vintners and Eurocave, both in the UK.  But that was pre-covid and it seems, like everywhere else, things got gummed up.  Can't find them for less than in the US anymore, sorry.   The company is based in Austria and might be able to point you in the right direction.  Regardless enjoy the trip!

• Thanks 1