Advice, opinions and answers!

Megabear2

Following our decision to cancel our Arvia Christmas cruise in 2023, my very generous husband has suggested I might like to spend the money on a long solo cruise in 2024 or 2025.  We have quite a large lump of money against this cruise lodged with P&O for various reasons, some moved deposits, some compensation from P&O and some cash.  Having spoken to P&O I'm informed that if I cancelled I'd only lose £353 which was the required deposit at the time of booking (25 March 2022) and the rest could be converted into FCC with a small cash refund.  I would have to spend more than £7,300 on my one move and my £353 would also be able to be transferred.

Now the help needed!

1. I have never sailed on Ventura, Aurora or Arcadia and the itineraries I'd be interested in would be on one of them.  Financially I wouldn't want to commit to more than around another £1,500 to £2,000 over the £7,300.  This limits me to inside cabins or at a push an outside on the shorter cruises.  I've sailed inside as a single on Azura, QM2, QV and QE (also had outside deck 1 cabins on the latter).  Could those who know the three ships give me their opinions on how I'd most likely fair on a longish cruise on one of these ships?  I'm very likely to take a saver to make my money stretch so know its a risk but as it's a one off chance to do this think it might be worth taking.  Are these cabins likely to be broom cupboard sized as they are on NCL? I think it will need to be double for single occupancy but just thought I'd ask.

2. With regard to FCC I've been told it is valid until August 2024.  Does this mean if I chose a cruise after that date I could not use it or does it mean I need to put it down on a cruise before then?  I've usually used my FCC almost immediately its issued so have no experience with expiry dates.

3. There are two continents I've never set foot in which I'd like to visit before my 70th birthday on 25 September 2025, South America and Australia.  Therefore the current 2024 and 2025 Aurora South America cruises and sections of the Arcadia world cruises from Australia to Southampton appeal. Question: are flights included on the WC sections? I've done far east sections on Cunard and had to buy flights but the rather confusing website info (!) seems to indicate they may be included on P&O.

4. Hopefully over the last year some of you have grown to know me a bit, I hope.  Which itineraries would you think I might like best of the possibilities! Yes, I know it's a how long is a piece of string question but once I go beyond North America or Malaysia I'm in brand new territory and advice would be extremely welcome!!  I want to see as many places as possible so port count rather than sea days is important to me. After all if I plod backwards and forwards over the Atlantic on QM2 I might as well look to do something else for this one!

Looking forward to your ideas and suggestions!

I've sailed in several different inside cabins aboard Aurora and they are fine. The twin/doubles have the little sofa and lots of storage space as she was designed with longer cruises in mind.

I've sailed once in a standard inside cabin on Arcadia and found it a bit dark and depressing. The larger insides are a bit better. The other option on Arcadia is the obstructed view outsides, which are roomy with a floor to ceiling window - with all or some of a lifeboat outside.

• Thanks 1

I spoke to P&O this morning.  To cancel an Iona fjord cruise.   Girl on the phone was lovely, but she had mentioned this.   Essentially, if I wished to  transfer, I would have had to have sailed out of Southampton within 364 days of the original booking date.

"For any bookings made prior to 3 August 2022, if you wish to reschedule your holiday, you can make one further booking transfer up to the date that the balance for your holiday is due. This is available on Select Price and Early Saver holidays. However, the new booking must be of equal or higher value and must sail within 12 months of the original departure date (or 6 months for a World Cruise, Classic Southern Hemisphere Journey, Grand Tour or Exotic Fly-cruise)."

I couldn't do this due to the restrictions in actual cruises available, so chose to walk from the original tiny deposit.   As I've said recently, I'm happy to  cruise with them again, but some of the changes, and the cost of sailing solo with them on top of the huge gulf in price between saver / select have been a huge decider compared to other cruise lines offering an identical cruise.

As for the ships, never been on Ventura, but as the veteran of many an Arcadia voyage, her balconies are a decent size compared to her fleet mates, she's good in seas.  I do, and will always love this ship.   Aurora, I find the interior a bit quirky, but nonetheless had a lovely cruise on her.

• Thanks 1

We did half a world cruise, boarding in Auckland and coming back to Southampton on Arcadia in 2014.  We had an obstructed view cabin, as suggested by Britboys. (great location as the prom deck is just below).  Loved every minute of it.  P and O arranged our flights in to NZ for us for an all in price.   they were fine with us flying out to NZ a month before we boarded Arcadia. (arranged with a well known cruise TA located in Derbyshire). We also sent our evening wear/cruise wear by luggage forwarding direct to the ship, so when we boarded in Auckland, we had clean fresh clothes waiting (recommended). 

also looking at world segments for 2024 on Arcadia, as we want to go through the other canal the one we havent done yet. Good luck with your plans. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, showingdiva said:

I spoke to P&O this morning.  To cancel an Iona fjord cruise.   Girl on the phone was lovely, but she had mentioned this.   Essentially, if I wished to  transfer, I would have had to have sailed out of Southampton within 364 days of the original booking date.

"For any bookings made prior to 3 August 2022, if you wish to reschedule your holiday, you can make one further booking transfer up to the date that the balance for your holiday is due. This is available on Select Price and Early Saver holidays. However, the new booking must be of equal or higher value and must sail within 12 months of the original departure date (or 6 months for a World Cruise, Classic Southern Hemisphere Journey, Grand Tour or Exotic Fly-cruise)."

I couldn't do this due to the restrictions in actual cruises available, so chose to walk from the original tiny deposit.   As I've said recently, I'm happy to  cruise with them again, but some of the changes, and the cost of sailing solo with them on top of the huge gulf in price between saver / select have been a huge decider compared to other cruise lines offering an identical cruise.

As for the ships, never been on Ventura, but as the veteran of many an Arcadia voyage, her balconies are a decent size compared to her fleet mates, she's good in seas.  I do, and will always love this ship.   Aurora, I find the interior a bit quirky, but nonetheless had a lovely cruise on her.

Now I'm confused!

My booking was 25 March 2022

My balance due date is 24 September 2023

My sail date is 22 December 2023

Are you saying I have to sail before March this year? P&O seemed to indicate I needed to transfer before 24 September not 24 March and I could cruise up to 21 December 2024.  Is that wrong information, if so no point in me even looking at 2024 holidays and I may as well just get the extras back and write off the £353.

As I didn't have a cruise in mind I didn't go into detail but just asked what would happen to everything bar the original requested deposit.

1 minute ago, Megabear2 said:

Now I'm confused!

My booking was 25 March 2022

My balance due date is 24 September 2023

My sail date is 22 December 2023

Are you saying I have to sail before March this year? P&O seemed to indicate I needed to transfer before 24 September not 24 March and I could cruise up to 21 December 2024.  Is that wrong information, if so no point in me even looking at 2024 holidays and I may as well just get the extras back and write off the £353.

As I didn't have a cruise in mind I didn't go into detail but just asked what would happen to everything bar the original requested deposit.

They told me this morning that if I wished to transfer the cruise - which was due to sail on 22nd April this year on Iona to the Fjords - I would need to book a cruise that sailed before 21st April 2024.

This would be difficult as I'm booked on Virtuosa on the same fjords cruise, and also on Euribia later on in the year.  This would have reduced me to either going winter or early spring with P&O.

I have to confess that when she initially said it, my reaction was "pardon?"

Just now, showingdiva said:

They told me this morning that if I wished to transfer the cruise - which was due to sail on 22nd April this year on Iona to the Fjords - I would need to book a cruise that sailed before 21st April 2024.

This would be difficult as I'm booked on Virtuosa on the same fjords cruise, and also on Euribia later on in the year.  This would have reduced me to either going winter or early spring with P&O.

I have to confess that when she initially said it, my reaction was "pardon?"

Okay thanks. That fits with my understanding.  My cruise is 22 December 2023 so anything before December 2024 is okay.

I'm not too worried about the £353 "official deposit" because the remainder is as I say compensation and FCC. My main concern is that's a fair amount over the top of the £353 and I want to secure it to get ABTA protection.

I did suggest to my OH that we took an upgraded cabin on something else but he is adamant he will not sail P&O again.  Hence with the monies on account and the need to spend minimum £7300 I'm looking at these itineraries as substitute.

23 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

Okay thanks. That fits with my understanding.  My cruise is 22 December 2023 so anything before December 2024 is okay.

I'm not too worried about the £353 "official deposit" because the remainder is as I say compensation and FCC. My main concern is that's a fair amount over the top of the £353 and I want to secure it to get ABTA protection.

I did suggest to my OH that we took an upgraded cabin on something else but he is adamant he will not sail P&O again.  Hence with the monies on account and the need to spend minimum £7300 I'm looking at these itineraries as substitute.

Yes, that sounds right, you would need to be on a ship before 21st December 2024.   You have a lot more at stake to lose than I did by walking away.   But the hundreds (plus a drink package) I saved to go back on a ship I never thought I would like, but actually love, will more or less pay for my second cruise.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Ardennais said:

If my husband suggested I take a long solo cruise, I would be very very suspicious!! 

Only joking Megabear2!! 🤣😂

He's glad to be rid of me as I've only taken two holidays without him since January 2020.  Normally I spend most of February through April on a cruise or in the States visiting my friends but cvd put an end to that for a while.

He's off to Austria in March for the first time in 3 years as well - skiing if there's any snow - so I very carefully booked myself on Iona for 2 weeks on the day he comes back. That's a good start for the year ...

Because of work we've always had lengthy spells apart and when I retired we just slipped in to sending me off all over the place. Actually he gets quite a lot of flack from friends for letting me go away alone but he is excellent in telling them they're just jealous that he gets lots of peace and quiet several times a year. We are officially the odd couple but it must work as we’ve been together 45 years and married for 42.

• Like 11

If it works, then it works! We also have separate interests and I’ll often go off with the children for a few days without my other half and even on my own sometimes. We both need our personal space and it makes for a good reunion afterwards! 

• Like 5

23 hours ago, Megabear2 said:

Megabear there may possibly be another restriction regards a transfer.  A few years ago we wanted to transfer a longer Oceans cruise to part of a long cruise included in the world cruise type of cruises (if you see what I mean).  We were told we could not transfer to that as it was classed as a different cruise type (not in those words, but as I understood it).  So perhaps worth having another conversation with P&O to make sure that sort of restriction would not apply to you now.

Also bear in mind that if you transfer a cruise under current terms, you would not be able to transfer it again should you need to do so for some reason on the future and you may have a hefty deposit at stake at that later stage.  It can be useful having that one option to transfer a cruise which is some time in the future.

Just my thoughts,

Barbara

7 minutes ago, tring said:

Megabear there may possibly be another restriction regards a transfer.  A few years ago we wanted to transfer a longer Oceans cruise to part of a long cruise included in the world cruise type of cruises (if you see what I mean).  We were told we could not transfer to that as it was classed as a different cruise type (not in those words, but as I understood it).  So perhaps worth having another conversation with P&O to make sure that sort of restriction would not apply to you now.

Also bear in mind that if you transfer a cruise under current terms, you would not be able to transfer it again should you need to do so for some reason on the future and you may have a hefty deposit at stake at that later stage.  It can be useful having that one option to transfer a cruise which is some time in the future.

Just my thoughts,

Barbara

Thank you. Yes, I had looked at the possible problems. My husband has stated categorically he will not sail with P&O again as he was extremely upset about me being manhandled by the drunken football fan on Boxing Day - it was P&Os security response that caused him to be unhappy. To transfer the cruise I need to spend £7,300 or more and doing that on my own is very difficult. I've been looking at the US/Caribbean 28 and 35 night cruises but higher grade cabins which would allow me to meet the target money are not available.  Basically I'm stuck in a hard place.  

When my husband says no go he means it, there won't be any change in his stance.  Having thought about it overnight I'm inclined to write off the cash deposit of £373 but it rather sticks in the throat to lose the near £2,700 in compensation and gifts which were hard won. Apparently as they are attached to this booking they are affected by the transfer rules although I'm waiting to hear if they would come back as FCC if I cancel and then I could apply them to anything I wish.  If it was any time other than Christmas I would have just changed to a single farexand paid tye extra tongo alone.

To be honest if making a straightforward long cruise booking I'd not look any further than Cunard normally.

1 hour ago, Megabear2 said:

Thank you. Yes, I had looked at the possible problems. My husband has stated categorically he will not sail with P&O again as he was extremely upset about me being manhandled by the drunken football fan on Boxing Day - it was P&Os security response that caused him to be unhappy. To transfer the cruise I need to spend £7,300 or more and doing that on my own is very difficult. I've been looking at the US/Caribbean 28 and 35 night cruises but higher grade cabins which would allow me to meet the target money are not available.  Basically I'm stuck in a hard place.  

When my husband says no go he means it, there won't be any change in his stance.  Having thought about it overnight I'm inclined to write off the cash deposit of £373 but it rather sticks in the throat to lose the near £2,700 in compensation and gifts which were hard won. Apparently as they are attached to this booking they are affected by the transfer rules although I'm waiting to hear if they would come back as FCC if I cancel and then I could apply them to anything I wish.  If it was any time other than Christmas I would have just changed to a single farexand paid tye extra tongo alone.

To be honest if making a straightforward long cruise booking I'd not look any further than Cunard normally.

Big decisions, that extra potential loss of £2.700 worth, would persuade me to transfer as well.

• Like 1

On 1/7/2023 at 10:37 PM, tring said:

Big decisions, that extra potential loss of £2.700 worth, would persuade me to transfer as well.

Update: I'm told by doctor no reason not to have the jab.  Having looked at the cruises though I see there isn't a South America one in 2024!  Never mind, I'll get the jab anyway.

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

Update: I'm told by doctor no reason not to have the jab.  Having looked at the cruises though I see there isn't a South America one in 2024!  Never mind, I'll get the jab anyway.

I think you will find they cannot give you the jab ethically, unless you actually plan to go somewhere that it is needed/advised.  That is on the grounds there is a risk, (even if slight), in having the jab, so as you would not gain from the protection it may confer.  Hence there would be an overall bad effect on you, so not ethical.

Edited by tring

28 minutes ago, tring said:

I think you will find they cannot give you the jab ethically, unless you actually plan to go somewhere that it is needed/advised.  That is on the grounds there is a risk, (even if slight), in having the jab, so as you would not gain from the protection it may confer.  Hence there would be an overall bad effect on you, so not ethical.

Appreciate that, I'm looking at the 65 night Caribbean in January 2024 instead and the trip takes in Mexico/Costa Rica/Panama and it seems to state these countries have some requirements? Correct me if I'm wrong please!

• Like 1

Could you ask to be booked on two back to back cruises if there are any that might fit in with places you want to go ? I know they say cruise usually has to be higher value but could be worth asking as two cruises together would probably be high enough value if they allow it.

I always think it’s a shame that even though P&O come under Carnival they won’t allow transfer within cruise lines in the group - seems bonkers to me ! 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

Appreciate that, I'm looking at the 65 night Caribbean in January 2024 instead and the trip takes in Mexico/Costa Rica/Panama and it seems to state these countries have some requirements? Correct me if I'm wrong please!

Since the yellow fever jab has to be paid for privately, I don't think there are any restrictions on having it beyond medical advice.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, watsonbeau said:

Could you ask to be booked on two back to back cruises if there are any that might fit in with places you want to go ? I know they say cruise usually has to be higher value but could be worth asking as two cruises together would probably be high enough value if they allow it.

I always think it’s a shame that even though P&O come under Carnival they won’t allow transfer within cruise lines in the group - seems bonkers to me ! 

We got very annoyed about that a few years back when we needed to transfer a four week Oceana fly/ Med cruise.  There were no four week cruises for the following year at the same time, but we could have changed it for two consecutive cruises given a very similar itinerary.  We were told that we could do that, but one of those cruises had to be the same price, or more than the original cruise!

I do not know if that is still in place though, so always worth asking.

Edited by tring

2 hours ago, Megabear2 said:

Precisely.  When we had our yellow fever jabs, we were looking at booking a last minute holiday which would have needed yellow fever coverage.  We turned up at the clinic stating we were going on the holiday, but just happened to not mention that the holiday was not booked - hence no problem, but without the holiday plans we would not have been given the jab.

Edited by tring

3 hours ago, Megabear2 said:

That is a lovely itinerary. I am booked on it with a friend.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1