Arvia - Impressions from Maiden

No pager thank you

Just now, Snow Hill said:

If a VPN stops it working, that’s my phone off the App, as I have a VPN which runs when connected to a public network. 

I have one too as does my husband.  The tech team were adamant we would have to switch it off along with other security measures.  The app wouldn't work the entire two weeks on either phone. No idea whether that was part of the problem but took their word for it.

Luckily I had booked most entertainment before leaving UK but because the thing wouldn't even load one particular receptionist booked everything I wanted when I needed it.

I'm on Iona in March so it will be an interesting comparison on if I can get it to load/work on there.  Ss I'm travelling alone o won't be buying the wifi either due to the ridiculous cost of it.

9 hours ago, Megabear2 said:

Virtual queue needs the app. Two problems: (1) many P&O cruisers don't own a suitable phone, what would you do with them? (2) the app is unreliable and frequently doesn't work properly - many report it needs constant refreshing as it doesn't move through the queue automatically.  Add to this from my own experience it frequently won't load on to your phone.  The IT "expert" and three separate reception staff tried over three days to get it to load and work on my own and my husband's telephones, once new Iphone and one a year old Samsung.

Following your logic are how are you suggesting these passengers are dealt with, please?

Very simple have a separate area on the ship where if you don't  want to use the app or can't use the app or don't have  a smart phone

You head to when you want to dine where they give you a pager

Anybody who chooses to do that because they simply don't want to use the  app  then more fool them IMO. But that's their choice.

Anybody who HAS to do that should hopefully be able to receive that pager far quicker than having to queue at an entrance to the restaurants as in the picture and wait to be shown to a table

So they can then stop queuing for anything go and get a pre dinner drink. Go back to the civilised world and head to the restaurant when their table is ready

Allowing people to walk in and queue alongside a virtual queue is making it worse for all concerned

They could even set areas up in bars where people who can't use the app or get the app to work can get a pager for their restaurant booking. The pagers could even be served to the tables at the same time they serve your pre dinner drinks

Nobody should be queuing more than 5 mins for anything in this day and age

But us Brits sure like to queue!!

(Ps in the real world very few restaurants at busy times can EVER accept walk ins. We can't do walk ins in the real world for busy restaurants. Why should we expect to do them on a busy ship?)

Edited by Interestedcruisefan

8 hours ago, yorkshirephil said:

That may be your opinion but it certainly isn't mine and won't be happening

Fair enough you are entitled to continue to queue for things in person

But IMO you and anybody else is not entitled to then complain about the queues. No disrespect.

Anyone who refuses to use the virtual queue and insists on still doing walk ins IMO shouldn't complain about the queues . As they are helping to cause them. Unnecessarily 

And I mean that with all due respect intended.

The only people who have a valid complaint about queuing IMO are the ones who are in the virtual queue who are being  slowed down by the walk ins

Or people who don't have smart phones or the signal has failed. They will be in the minority

People who choose to do walk ins when they COULD have used the app to join a virtual queue can't then complain about physical queues. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Megabear2 said:

Over the past year this has all been discussed and debated many times on these boards.  The fact is some love the idea of the app and technology and others hate it.  Looking at the photographs on Arvia it seems pretty well split in reality as well.  

However, and this is the biggie, at no point has anyone at any time suggested how they would handle those who won't or can't use the app or technology other than saying everyone needs to get "with the system". 

P&O aren't assumedly going to turn away customers who say they aren't using phones and apps and they (or any company for that matter) would be walking a very fine line if they emblazoned such a thing on their advertising or website.  Are those advocating virtual queuing really suggesting this route?

So turning the issue on its head, other than the pagers that are being used for the non app users, what suggestions can we make to help alleviate the problems if we accept some people will never embrace the app or phone technology?

Any ideas?

I've made my suggestions

In summary

To banish queues everybody either needs to use the app or else be given a pager that allows them to join the virtual queue (and be given them away from the entrance to the restaurant)

So nobody queues for the restaurant any more

Walk ins don't happen at busy restaurants in the real world. We book tables in advance and go at the time we booked. 

That's how the civilised world works.

Surely nobody really does want to queue for things in person when they don't need to?

8 hours ago, Dobbers said:

Personally I’m 50/50 with the app. Yes it has some good features for booking things and showing queue numbers. The downside is having to carry my phone in the evenings and constantly having to check and refresh. Really don’t like this when wanting a pre dinner drink, also find it quite rude if in conversation with other passengers.

Just prefer to leave the phone in the cabin when on holiday, plus for some strange reason my hubby can’t get it to work on his phone 🤔

I would rather have the phone on the table next to my Cocktail. Than be stood in a queue for 20 minutes plus

And it's only a brief time at the start of the evening you need to check your phone. It's not constant all  night Dobbers?

7 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

I never used to carry my phone on my person, on holiday it went in the bag that goes on the back of my wifes wheelchair, but I rarely needed to use it.

But since I switched to this newer one, on which I now do all my browsing, shopping, and banking, I find it goes in my trouser pocket, just as my sons told me I should, to make sure I had it to hand if they wanted to contact me.

So on holiday it's the same, and I don't  find it a problem at all.

I bet a lot of people who complain about the app have probably never even tried it

Before using it for the first  time on Britannia I was wary of it

But wouldn't want to do a cruise without the app now

I abhor queuing for anything on my holidays

7 hours ago, yorkshirephil said:

One of the things we like about cruising is that we can go out in the evening, no phone, no wallet, no keys. I have spent a career using technology and am quite proficient with it. I am the paying customer and whenever possible want to do what suits me not what the cruise line or anybody else thinks I should do because it suits them. Ultimately I may have a decision to make as to whether I tow the line or move on to an alternative cruise line or holiday type that meets my needs.

So Phil you would honestly rather waste time queuing up for dinner in a corridor than carry your phone?

The big ships offer far greater VALUE cruises than ever before 

The price of cruising for Auntie Ethel have dropped so much in real terms over the last 50 years plus 

Auntie Ethel will have got used to paying so much more in comparison of her money for cruises in the past

The old fashioned way of cruising still exists on other cruises and can still be paid for at the more expensive price

Can't it?

It's a valid choice to choose to pay more money for a more traditional and old fashioned cruise

I like tradition myself but there's a limit to what I am prepared to pay for it.

The one UK tradition I don't like is queuing for things

So I prefer cheaper more modern cruises and embrace the app myself

But there  are choices for all of us

At the prices we pay on Arvia many of the traditional things that happened on cruises simply cant happen

Smaller ships with less people they can happen but expect to pay far more

(You will also still get shellfish for lunch, clotted cream, chocolate mints with coffee and chocolates in the cabin. I'm sure if you are willing to pay more)

7 hours ago, Megabear2 said:

I have one too as does my husband.  The tech team were adamant we would have to switch it off along with other security measures.  The app wouldn't work the entire two weeks on either phone. No idea whether that was part of the problem but took their word for it.

Luckily I had booked most entertainment before leaving UK but because the thing wouldn't even load one particular receptionist booked everything I wanted when I needed it.

I'm on Iona in March so it will be an interesting comparison on if I can get it to load/work on there.  Ss I'm travelling alone o won't be buying the wifi either due to the ridiculous cost of it.

So they wish you to take security risks by switching off VPNs & Security software in order to get their App to work, seems like they have bothered to test this app properly.

1 hour ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

(Ps in the real world very few restaurants at busy times can EVER accept walk ins. We can't do walk ins in the real world for busy restaurants. Why should we expect to do them on a busy ship?)

Because you've been sold a service in a closed environment where you can't exactly walk away and have a right to what you've paid for? P&O took your money on the promise of providing you with a dining room to eat in.  Nowhere on their literature does it say technology compulsory.

As I said, turn the problem on it's head and look at it from the other side to the one you support.

You may havecforgetten that a large number (myself included) do not go to restaurants ashore on a regular basis 

• Like 6

28 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

Devonuk is onboard only the second cruise on a ship which sailed with known technology problems.  You cannot possibly look at those photographs and believe this will remain the norm.  However what will remain the norm is people not wanting to carry telephones everywhere and not willing to be forced to do so.  The discussions here were about what people thought might be done to assist everyone going forward, not to force some draconian rules on them or almost adopt a cancel culture approach to Auntie Ethel.

Onshore there are many restaurants which actually ask you to leave your phone off or better still put it away.  Certain venues and artists refuse you even taking a phone into a show.

There are many people who think constantly jumping for your phone and staring at it in company is rude and don't wish to be forced to do so.

Simon Cowell famously disconnected from his phone and abandoned it except in business hours.  The phone doesn’t have to rule everyone's lives, there's such a thing as personal choice.

Hence the alternative of a pager that can be issued to avoid having to queue for walk ins at busy times

Or simply continue to physically queue. But ensure those who choose to virtual queue are not impacted by those who don't want to virtual queue

The suggestion of a dedicated restaurant for virtual queuing only sounds appealing to me

49 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

Devonuk is onboard only the second cruise on a ship which sailed with known technology problems.  You cannot possibly look at those photographs and believe this will remain the norm.  However what will remain the norm is people not wanting to carry telephones everywhere and not willing to be forced to do so.  The discussions here were about what people thought might be done to assist everyone going forward, not to force some draconian rules on them or almost adopt a cancel culture approach to Auntie Ethel.

Onshore there are many restaurants which actually ask you to leave your phone off or better still put it away.  Certain venues and artists refuse you even taking a phone into a show.

There are many people who think constantly jumping for your phone and staring at it in company is rude and don't wish to be forced to do so.

Simon Cowell famously disconnected from his phone and abandoned it except in business hours.  The phone doesn’t have to rule everyone's lives, there's such a thing as personal choice.

But in this instance its not really a phone, its P&Os version of Princesses medallion, and I imagine many other mainstream cruise lines have a similar procedure which they feel improves the service for passengers, especially on the bigger ships. If a high proportion of passengers opt out because they dont want to be told to carry around a gadget, then we get queue which annoy everyone. We all need to be prepared to bend with the wind, but still ensure that Auntie Ethel and friend also enjoy their cruise experience.

But for the ones not happy to carry a phone or medallion around  I wonder how they will be able to accept a pager?

Think of it, a mobile Alexa. The cacophony of people asking their virtual butler to book the restaurant and tell them when the table is ready. It might cure the dreadful tiny screen problem for people like me who's hands don't work properly but think of the constant racket, bleeps and bells and tunes or messages like 'fatso your dinners ready' 😱

• Haha 5

1 hour ago, Snow Hill said:

So they wish you to take security risks by switching off VPNs & Security software in order to get their App to work, seems like they have bothered to test this app properly.

Just out of curiosity, are you happy to trust an anonymous VPN with personal information which could in itself compromise your financial or other security?

Not sure I would. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

But in this instance its not really a phone, its P&Os version of Princesses medallion, and I imagine many other mainstream cruise lines have a similar procedure which they feel improves the service for passengers, especially on the bigger ships. If a high proportion of passengers opt out because they dont want to be told to carry around a gadget, then we get queue which annoy everyone. We all need to be prepared to bend with the wind, but still ensure that Auntie Ethel and friend also enjoy their cruise experience.

But for the ones not happy to carry a phone or medallion around  I wonder how they will be able to accept a pager?

Terrierjohn they are getting pagers.  The problem is that on all the other ships they were given out at the restaurant door, the idea of collecting them elsewhere is the sort of idea that makes sense.  I would have said that if ICF had paused for breath!

A dedicated non app restaurant sounds rather like club dining which has been done away with in the name of modernising.  When freedom dining started people didn't want that either but had the choice. On Iona and Arvia they don't.

The Medallion is excellent and works. It can also be used at central points on the ship to check times and availability.  

Personally I carry nothing on a cruise and is as little as possible ashore.  Unlike most of my female counterparts I rarely have a handbag onboard so nowhere to put a phone or much else. 

Edited by Megabear2
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

So Phil you would honestly rather waste time queuing up for dinner in a corridor than carry your phone?

I have never queued for dinner on a cruise ship yet, the only people I have seen or heard of queuing on P&O are those queuing at reception to try and sort the app out. As I said earlier if I could book dinner from the cabin then fine, which I did try on Arcadia before Christmas, 90% of the time there was no connection.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

So you have tried the app and it didn't work for you Phil?

I have tried the app, I booked my first weeks entertainment on Arcadia and our first night dinner, after wandering around the ship trying to connect. After the first night we were told at the restaurant that we didn't need to use the app to book and we never had any issues or queues, and we were anytime dining.

• Like 1

I'm Auntie Ethel, and although obviously I use a computer for emails, websites and ordering online - and Cruise Critic - I have not got a smart phone, and am unwilling to carry a phone or similar around.  However, I think anyone cold cope with a pager, if it could be handed to you not at the restaurant door for obvious reasons, it could be coped with by even the most ancient and technophobe of us.

• Like 10

29 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

A pager you can keep in your pocket or on a table and ignore till it buzzes and then hand back

It removes some of the complaints about phones above

If they don't want a pager I guess they have to accept the existing queuing ?

But can't then really complain about those queues to be fair. 

(Finally from what I understand people who want to walk in sometimes even when they get to the front of their queue can't get a table and have to take a pager regardless!)

Interestingly I'm just watching the Billion Dollar Cruise based on Symphony of the Seas.  They have club dining with set times alongside their equivalent of freedom, which incidentally looks more restrictive.

When I booked my Celebrity Beyond cruise for this Christmas it had three dining times - I recall Bazrat saying he looked at it but because only 8.30pm dinner was available he decided not to book.

Clearly RC and Celebrity have realised shoving thousands around on these big ships needs different handling.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

I have never queued for dinner on a cruise ship yet, the only people I have seen or heard of queuing on P&O are those queuing at reception to try and sort the app out. As I said earlier if I could book dinner from the cabin then fine, which I did try on Arcadia before Christmas, 90% of the time there was no connection.

That's good

I assume you eat early or late?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

I have tried the app, I booked my first weeks entertainment on Arcadia and our first night dinner, after wandering around the ship trying to connect. After the first night we were told at the restaurant that we didn't need to use the app to book and we never had any issues or queues, and we were anytime dining.

I guess it depends how busy the cruise is

Again if it's working for you as is. Then no reason to change and you have no complaints regardless

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

(Finally from what I understand people who want to walk in sometimes even when they get to the front of their queue can't get a table and have to take a pager regardless!)

ICF that is exactly how P&O have operated on all their ships since freedom dining became an option.  It is handed out at the door to the restaurant. The people in the photograph Devon posted are queuing for their pager if you read his posts. Also the app queue people were being sent away with pagers too.  The picture isn't black and white (sic) it doesn't tell the full story as Devon explains.

• Like 2