Diamond - Hawaii Jan 6-22, 2023. Semi Live

cruzin4us

1 hour ago, cruzin4us said:

we are arriving tonight instead of tomorrow morning.   It has something to do with the weather/swell.  We are supposed to be there sometime between 8-9 pm.  No one allowed off the ship until tomorrow at the regular scheduled time.  

I know they are expecting really high surf on some of the islands for the next few days.   Not sure how that effects Hilo.  

I’ll post more if I hear anything.   The Captain made the announcement at 9:00 this morning and there has been no update since.  

That's a surprise that you will be docking at night.  Looking forward to your update.  Yes, there are swells coming in from the north (Hawaii Island/west).  Good time to visit the north shore of Oahu, but traffic will be ridiculous.  

https://www.staradvertiser.com/2023/01/11/breaking-news/high-surf-warning-as-the-largest-swell-of-season-peaks-today/

Weather Alert

...EXTRA-LARGE NORTHWEST SWELL...

An extra-large northwest swell moving through the islands could
generate moderate to locally strong surges and currents in exposed
harbors. Expect large breaking waves near harbor entrances.

Mariners using north and west facing harbor entrances and boat
launches should exercise caution when entering or leaving, and
when mooring or launching vessels.

Laundry facilities.  They sell tokens which can be charged to your room.  You can also purchase soap with the tokens.  I believe they are $3 each but don’t quote me on that.  Bring your own soap and dryer sheets instead of purchasing.  

669DC936-CE35-4ECE-B66C-373DE17FAC39.jpeg

70AD07F9-A76D-4B74-A1C4-42FFA617EBF0.jpeg

CA99C7E8-7500-4965-AF3A-E6C67BD50D58.jpeg

179A4D4E-0781-44DB-8FCA-C18162D14B33.jpeg

5AD0DF44-9CF5-4C30-8E77-2B3ABF74DA4B.jpeg

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

That's a surprise that you will be docking at night.  Looking forward to your update.  Yes, there are swells coming in from the north (Hawaii Island/west).  Good time to visit the north shore of Oahu, but traffic will be ridiculous.  

https://www.staradvertiser.com/2023/01/11/breaking-news/high-surf-warning-as-the-largest-swell-of-season-peaks-today/

Weather Alert

...EXTRA-LARGE NORTHWEST SWELL...

An extra-large northwest swell moving through the islands could
generate moderate to locally strong surges and currents in exposed
harbors. Expect large breaking waves near harbor entrances.

Mariners using north and west facing harbor entrances and boat
launches should exercise caution when entering or leaving, and
when mooring or launching vessels.

yeah, my friend texted me this yesterday.     Should be interesting.  I can see the lights of Hilo off in the distance so we should be arriving about 9:00 pm.  I’ll keep you posted

35ED6731-D078-45B9-AB1D-B62043B4794D.png

• Like 1

Since I booked this cruise less than a month ago, I didn’t luck out on any excursions for any of the ports.  Decided to just wing it.  I’ve been to Hilo so many times and every time it has rained like crazy.   Waking up to sun was a complete shocker.   
I decided to eat some breakfast because I’m eating at Sabatini’s tonight and I didn’t want to stuff myself all day like yesterday.    Headed to the MDR for a nice leisurely meal before finding a nice deck chair on the aft of the ship near the pool.   I’m just going to look at Hilo from here.  

I’m not a big breakfast person and this cemented why.    Nothing really good except the OJ.   This meal was a fail for me anyway.  

Breakfast:

Fresh Squeezed OJ (have to ask for fresh squeezed).  This hit the spot  

Fresh Papaya - under ripe  and unpeeled - Not sure why Princess doesn’t put spoons on the table.   It makes it hard to eat certain items and to stir sweeteners in iced tea and coffees.   Disappointed with this selection. 

Cinnamon Apple Compote - served warm and was good, not great - way better than the papaya 

Pancakes - arrived cold, couldn’t spread the butter - ate a few bites and I was done.   Hash Brown hockey ouch was also cold

On to the sun 🌞 

76BEB9E3-BDE8-4146-A2D4-24EE87265A46.jpeg

116C0F18-F772-478D-BFD5-CE0259659243.jpeg

35E21722-5B49-418C-B29B-6D736DBA1131.jpeg

C2DDA1E1-A0E8-4258-900E-7F16CAAE54DC.jpeg

7562D30F-EA33-4153-A440-30A85CB9E75E.jpeg

• Thanks 1

Found myself a perfect spot to get some sun.  The Terrace Pool is located far aft on Deck 12.  Took a bit of finding, but well worth it.   Take deck 12 aft and you will find it. 

the sun was hot, and by 11 am I was pink and done.   This is the adults only pool.  If the pool was heated, it didn’t feel like it.  I finally got up to my shoulders after 10 minutes of being a wimp.  Felt great after I got that far and even better once I got out.    The pool has nice wide steps and no horizontal ladder.   

Didn’t take long to start turning pink.  It’s nice when most people are off the ship and you have an entire pool to yourself.   There are a bunch of wooden steps to lay on and only a few lounge chairs.  

4C360F08-4EBC-4ECB-B9B5-64A13326C210.jpeg

B09C70CC-BEEC-4F9E-A3A5-A1D66C1769DB.jpeg

0F89DB4C-DC3F-487E-A21F-FC054724EA7A.jpeg

Edited by cruzin4us
  • Like 7

42 minutes ago, cruzin4us said:

Found myself a perfect spot to get some sun.  The Terrace Pool is located far aft on Deck 12.  Took a bit of finding, but well worth it.   Take deck 12 aft and you will find it. 

the sun was hot, and by 11 am I was pink and done.   This is the adults only pool.  If the pool was heated, it didn’t feel like it.  I finally got up to my shoulders after 10 minutes of being a wimp.  Felt great after I got that far and even better once I got out.    The pool has nice wide steps and no horizontal ladder.   

Didn’t take long to start turning pink.  It’s nice when most people are off the ship and you have an entire pool to yourself.   There are a bunch of wooden steps to lay on and only a few lounge chairs.  

4C360F08-4EBC-4ECB-B9B5-64A13326C210.jpeg

B09C70CC-BEEC-4F9E-A3A5-A1D66C1769DB.jpeg

0F89DB4C-DC3F-487E-A21F-FC054724EA7A.jpeg

Thank you for taking us along. I am enjoying your detailed reporting and especially your food pics. Your positive experiences with the staff, and positive comments about the food, enticed me to look up a sailing opportunity on this ship in February coming up. Alas, the sailing doesn't quite fit into my schedule! Wish I could be on the ship for its journey from CA to Japan. Guess I will have to keep this itinerary on my list for another time. @cruzin4us

Edited by CruzeQueen2
  • Like 2

Surprised that you got Hawaiian Papaya, although pretty green.  Hopefully they will continue to ripen on the way back.  

Count your blessings if Hilo has a rainbow on your way out this afternoon.  Love the snow capped mountain (I think that is Mauna Loa).  Kilauea is erupting again (Halemaumau Crater).  

Thanks for all the updates last night.  You (Diamond Princess) must feel pretty special to dock at night.  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, hozelovr123 said:

Could you look at the Patter and confirm which dining room is Club Class? 

I REALLY appreciate your fabulous report…I check it multiple times a day and read it twice. I’m on the DP on the 29th! 

the Patter doesn’t say, I’ll try and remember to ask tonight 

• Haha 1

Wow, it turned out to be such a beautiful and hot day here in Hilo.  No rain at all which is so rare (at least for me).   I think the temps reach about 82

After my sun bathing adventure I went and took a nap until the 2 young kids woke me up again.  I’m blessed to be in a cabin next to them.   They are at the screaming age 2-4?   There are way more kids on board than I excepted for a 16 day cruise.   Most have been angels…

Tonight I’m headed to Sabatini’s and I’m getting hungry since my lousy Breakfast. My overeating body is in shock from lack of food every hour.   More on Sabatini’s later

• Like 6

5 hours ago, hozelovr123 said:

I am not on the ship,would club class/ Reserve collection  be in The International DR??

I agree, I am reading along and appreciate the armchair cruising for me.

5 hours ago, hozelovr123 said:

I REALLY appreciate your fabulous report…I check it multiple times a day and read it twice. I’m on the DP on the 29th! 

Edited by arizonaperson

we just pulled out of Hilo at 5:00 sharp.    I knew Hilo wouldn’t let me dow, it looks like it might rain.  It can sure cloud up fast.  Tomorrow’s stop is Honolulu.

Was starving so I headed to Skywalkers (platinum & elite happy hour) and got a great view of the sail away.   May 20-25 people here.   Maybe 

Couple new things (at least for me).  Stilton Bleu Cheese balls (these were really good).  Meatballs and egg rolls.   Didn’t pig out tonight, just ate a Bleu Cheese Ball and one meatball.  

Sabatini’s:

Service seems a bit disjointed - I’ve now been approached 3 times 3 times asking if I wanted to order anything to drink.   I’ve now ordered 3x but no drink as of yet.   There are a bunch of Bench Seat for 2 which turns me off for a Specialty Dining.    The Server recommended to dishes to 3 Tables at once….odd.   Took 44 minutes before they took my order and that’s after I flagged him down (don’t the know I starved all day?).   It took 49 min to get my tiramisu cocktail. 

Just witnessed a man pitch a fit about getting butter.  He was pissed and wanted to go get it himself.    This a weird dining experience.  

I also found this odd:   The couple next to me asked for some Parmesan cheese and Ground pepper.  The water sets the pepper grinder on my table and serves them the Parmesan cheese.  Then he puts the cheese on my table and serves them the pepper.   Isn’t this supposed to be fine dining?  Took 58 minutes to get my appetizer. Notice my plate was y cleared in the back nor was new fork offered  

Appetizer of the House -

Prosciutto and Rustic Bread (complimentary)

Hot Garlic Bread

Tomato and Burrata Cheese - very good, cheese melts in your mouth

Grana Padano Fondue - mentally I think of fondue as a cheesy dish.  This was more watery and a thin soup with a hint of cheese and bacon flavors and a few thin slices of mushrooms.  Wouldn’t order again 

Seafood Linguine - It was good but not anything special.   Very Dry and lukewarm.   Plate is cold adding to the problem.  

Veal Marsala - Also arrived cold, plate cold.  Was not my fav, and wouldn’t order again.  Veal was super tough and overcooked.  It was plated nicely and I had high hopes - nope, not in the cards. 

Roche - chocolate lovers dream.   Best thing I ordered.  The portion was huge.  Worth ordering if you like/love Chocolate.        Could only eat about 1/2.   Good dessert for sharing. 

Overall impression:  Disappointing - Service is far better in the dining room.  Things just don’t seem to be running smoothly.   Too many customers, not enough servers.   When servers are walking or running you know they could use more help.   Painfully slow, meal took 2 hrs 45 minutes from start to finish and it was just me with no one to talk with so it seemed to drag on forever.   Kind of like a flight from San Diego to Dallas which takes about the same amount of time.  

09CA2B39-57F5-4877-B5BE-F3FDF9814A5E.jpeg

1A320C0E-96CA-4B68-AFFC-99DD028C6017.jpeg

CBA8F824-8B63-4881-AB8B-78BE15C2F1D9.jpeg

93118BA2-59B1-4D4A-A63E-259AE866A6FB.jpeg

E67E9324-C857-4F60-94F1-190932F2A6A8.jpeg

9672B448-E9F6-4DD1-9401-499569035352.jpeg

694B6296-E22E-4587-9998-AE995F4EED21.jpeg

C4722073-DCB1-4D06-83B8-FAB0CF93C7CF.jpeg

2192076E-4A7B-4754-B7AD-5B77D96AE657.jpeg

70F98DC8-E5C9-4246-AEBF-4322B0090111.jpeg

F8562AF1-79A4-4F7B-A69E-F71EB6F230E0.jpeg

248091A5-95B2-4598-9311-7431751E0A76.jpeg

D526F5A5-0498-4907-9ADD-928C67984319.jpeg

2A9284A6-1775-40E0-8504-E69A11EAB2F8.jpeg

6C7BF488-EE41-43EA-B2AD-093A7FC7FB08.jpeg

2EE3334A-8BAC-4586-ABF9-534EA3C95ECF.jpeg

68D97ED0-8832-4635-911F-29914E29275C.jpeg

D704826A-D62E-43DB-9474-5629071A72D8.jpeg

FAA08D8B-818E-4635-9058-819A0CC3C779.jpeg

C8D06AA8-C5E3-4041-9AD7-108247226C84.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, hozelovr123 said:

I didn’t get an answer to your question, but I will….I promise 

Honolulu is a big city and it’s always a quick realization that this isn’t the tropical paradise with isolated beaches, warm sands and sea turtles that you see in the brochures 😁.   

When booking your cruise last minute such as I did, along with cruising solo, I realized quickly without some kind of plan, I was destined to just wander around Honolulu.    I know, I could have done the Hop on Hop off bus or gotten in taxi and gone to Pearl Harbor or any other slew of places….but, I just didn’t feel like it.   Shame on me, I know. 

So, I showered and headed to the International Dining room for breakfast the whole time making a mental note not to order pancakes 🥞 

ordered a glass (more like a thimble full) of fresh OJ.  Guess next time I need to order a larger size.  Ha

The menu on port days is quite limited, so I ordered some poached eggs on English muffins and some bacon.   It hit the spot    

While I was eating the Supervisor came up and asked my how I liked Sabatini’s last night.    I was the last one in the dining room so I was able to have a really nice conversation with her.   I explained the areas of concern (length of time, cold food, the cheese/pepper being put on my table, etc).   She told me that the server’s are all new, which was my original thought.   I hate to complain just to complain but I enjoy when I can have a one on one conversation without making a scene.     I love to praise more than criticize but it’s refreshing when they ask me my opinion and then they listen to my comments.   She wanted to refund my meal which was never my intention.   Instead she offered to send me to Kai Sushi again…..that’s an offer I couldn’t pass up.    So, it’s Kai Sushi again tonight.    
I also praised the MDR food.   

Had a great conversation with Brian and Rowena this morning, they are going to Costco today and offered to pick me up some macadamia nuts - They are such nice people, if you are ever on a cruise with them, try and find some time to have a chat with them

Going to put on my tennis shoes and be a Promenade walker.   I need to burn some calories before dinner. 

96BC661D-9224-45B7-B5ED-28192D1CB13E.jpeg

A5051E56-7EC8-42A9-A225-DECBE2C5AEA0.jpeg

C972EFE1-AB60-4BC5-A9F1-4CFB180B7373.jpeg

• Like 5

3 hours ago, cruzin4us said:

ordered a glass (more like a thimble full) of fresh OJ.  Guess next time I need to order a larger size.  Ha

Yes, those juice glasses are pretty small.  I often ask for two (or three).

I was disappointed to read about your Sabatini's experience.  (OK, probably not as disappointed as you were.)  However, it was reassuring to hear that the dining room manager was interested in your opinion and doubly reassuring that she offered you a "make up."

• Like 2

Got a little pink sitting in the sun.  Didn’t take long for me.  Probably look like a lobster on my front and shockingly white on my backside 😎.   

Went back to my room and crashed for a long nap.   Had a tough day after all.  

The septic smell was permeating the hall this afternoon but not as bad as embarkation day.  

Here’s the dinner menu for this evening

876F92B7-948A-4729-B01E-111850805FDB.png

90196D18-9211-4377-B7F4-9FBB12BB42F4.png

0DBAA5E4-C2C5-42AB-8A76-56EBF69B24B2.png

Edited by cruzin4us

It’s funny, I also post the same stuff on another social media page and the reactions range all over the map

Why do I post, take a gazillion food pics and add my stupid commentary??   Well, mostly because I’m traveling solo and I have 16 days to relax and do whatever I want, whenever I want.   My hubby didn’t want all the sea days, so he said “go and have a blast”.  He’s probably playing his guitar all day, watching TV and leaving dirty dishes in the sink.  He’s the quiet one in our relationship.  I will talk to anyone about almost anything.   I have 16 days to be lazy, and not worry about “what are we gonna do today?”   I’m finding myself just mentally relaxing.   There’s no place I have to be, no cats to feed, no worrying about what to make for dinner, no TV to listen to (yes, I have a tv in my room but I haven’t turned it on yet).   I’ve listened to an audio book and just vegged.  May sound boring to most, but I haven’t been this relaxed in I don’t know how long.    Don’t get me wrong, I miss my hubby and will be glad to see him, but this cruise has just been good for my soul.   

Taking food pics is one of those thing people do all the time or they never do.  I probably have more food pics on my phone than I do pics of my grandkids.  Lol.    Again, people either love the pics or wish  I’d Stop already.   LOL. Only 9 more days of pics (if I haven’t lost track of time again)

So, that’s a little about me.   

• Like 12
  • Thanks 3