question about the Regent's helmet dive excursion

My partner does not care to go in the water anymore.  He use to go in a pool for a short time.   I am a scuba diver and he has no interest.  I am thinking about signing up for the helmet dive in St Martin.  I would love for him to see what my life is like below the surface.     Anyone have experience doing this excursion or ever taking an unwilling friend along.   I read you climb down a ladder to a depth of 20 feet and then walk around for about 20 minutes.    It says they have divers keeping an eye on everyone.    If he says he would try it, I would make sure we are the last to go down so he can abort if he is afraid and won't be in the way for others.

I have not mentioned this to him.  Not sure if I should sign up and break it to him the day before.  I have a feeling he will say "NO WAY IN HELL".  But I am hoping he might try it.

I would love to hear from anyone who has tried it.        Thanks.

I’m also a scuba diver and if I ever suggested this to my husband,  he won’t do it.   Mind you the main reason is he has heart issues and once panicked while snorkeling with me.  Does he have any medical issues?  However,  you first line says it all to me,  he doesn’t like the water.  Take on a sub boat to see what is down there.  

We were both divers as long as we could go with out risk. I suggest you do one of the submarines especially if your partner is not a water fan. We loved diving but still like to see what’s down there even though we.no longer dive. They are fun Our non diving adult family members enjoy the subs and it gives us something to talk about.. 

Often we have seen divers especially the subs that go to a wreck. The dive usually goes down to about 100 ft so you get the color change, it’s air conditioned  with a porthole for everyone for good viewing. But you are not on the actual sub too long about 30 or so mins. Cozumel is a.great one, you glide along the ocean shelf. We have also done the Hawaii ones.

• Like 1

We are doing this type of excursion in Aruba in about a month. I’m one to be hesitant to try new things and I’m apprehensive just because it’s so different. My husband is always ready to try something new and is very excited! We are avid snorkelers with no scuba diving experience. Will report back. How soon is your excursion?

We did the semi submersible in St Bart's which is a boat with a deep ish hull with windows. Not as scary as a submarine as the vessel stays on top of the water whilst you are underneath but can escape to the deck at any time

8BBF56FF-AA9B-4B56-A2F7-6B919F9CA96C.jpeg

Edited by Techno123

5 hours ago, papaflamingo said:

Here is a good video (a bit long) of the Helmet Dive,  Show him this and let him decide.  

This was great, thank you!! I was very happy to see that you can wear eyeglasses. When we snorkel, I have a prescription mask so this is good to know.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not a big underwater person, never did scuba and not big into snorkeling, but I did the helmet dive a few years ago and after about 15-20 uncomfortable seconds while getting the feel of it I really ended up enjoying it.  You just need to be sure to keep you head and shoulders level, and it's no problem.  I loved seeing all of the aquatic life up close and personal and when our time was up I was actually disappointed.

Of course, some people just don't like the feeling of being underwater, but I think unless he has a serious water phobia he'll be fine.  

• Like 1