Incidents on board and security

Megabear2

6 minutes ago, davecttr said:

Several years ago someone commented that the difference between P&O cruisers and Marella cruisers was P&O were Mail readers and Marella were Mirror readers. Not so sure nowadays thoug

Surely should have been the Sun!   I was cruising on Cunard when Martin Bell described QE as the Daily Mail at sea when he was booed for saying war of any type wasn't nice.  He was apparently reprimanded by the cruise director after who reputedly told him no, not the Mail please - we aim for The Times!

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, cruising.mark.uk said:

Of course, when individuals of what seems to be the primary age demographic that posts on this board were younger, there was never any alcohol-fuelled misbehaviour amongst youngsters at weekends or otherwise.  Neither was there ever any alcohol-related or other hooliganism at football or other sporting events.  And no-one ever misbehaved on 18-30 or other holidays.  It's all the fault of the youth of today (and P&O, apparently)...

Nothing to do with age in fact most of  the younger members of my family and their friends are all teetotal which can’t be said of the middle aged or oldies amongst us.

Bad behaviour is bad behaviour regardless of who is perpetrating it or what age / gender/ class or anything else they are.

There was of course misbehaviour in every decade but it was not tolerated to the same extent. Landlords threw people out and barred them, breach of the peace cases were much higher for public drunkenness than they are now because society is much more tolerant of it and cruise ships certainly would not accept bad behaviour of any kind. 

The more softly softly approach probably defuses some situations but in some they need to take swift action.

• Like 12

On 1/9/2023 at 4:25 AM, JDB78 said:

You hear of trouble in London a lot - gun violence in America. Does that automatically mean you're going to run into issues if you went to either?

Doesn't it depend where you go?  On a cruise ship there aren't really any no go areas where you will be safer if you didn't  go are there?

• Like 3

We too have mainly cruised on P&O and have enjoyed them all, but in 2020 we decided to try a Marella

Caribbean cruise on Discovery and really enjoyed it.

As Kruzseeka said, the service and entertainment were far superior and I must admit it was nice to be on a small ship. (my all time favourite cruise and ship was Caribbean and Amazon on Adonia in 2015🙂)

So when we were looking for this year we again have booked Marella on Discovery 2 as the ports, except 1, are all new for us, whereas P&O ports have not really changed since our first cruise in 2010.

We will still sail with P&O if the price and itinerary are right.

Molly

• Like 6

I was a very regular 76 year old solo cruiser but I’ve not cruised since before Covid.  My nightly ritual after a second sitting dinner was to take a walk on deck, to walk my dinner down before returning to my cabin.   It would appear that this is a practice I need to discontinue.  Any thoughts?

9 minutes ago, Tablelamp said:

I was a very regular 76 year old solo cruiser but I’ve not cruised since before Covid.  My nightly ritual after a second sitting dinner was to take a walk on deck, to walk my dinner down before returning to my cabin.   It would appear that this is a practice I need to discontinue.  Any thoughts?

I would continue with your ritual. These incidents are extremely rare and tend to happen in bars when drink is involved.

• Like 4

As confirmed P&O cruisers but wavering at the moment, we have done 2 cruises on Marella Explorer and they were excellent so much that we have booked a third for later this year. Never seen any bad behaviour so far but we have seen this several times on P&O over the years. What slightly puzzles me is what are the on board accounts like  for these people who go overboard on booze? Drinks on P & O are not cheap.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, pennib said:

What slightly puzzles me is what are the on board accounts like  for these people who go overboard on booze? Drinks on P & O are not cheap.

Drinks on P&O are cheap compared with the RC ships.  Best not to go overboard on any ship.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

23 minutes ago, pennib said:

Drinks on P & O are not cheap.

Only about 50p more for a decent beer than in my local independant, quite nice pub.  Yes there are some nice boozers in Sarfend!   Expensive when compared to my nearest Wetherspoons, but cheaper than a central London or airport Wetherspoons.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Tablelamp said:

Choose a ship with a proper Promenade and I am sure you will be fine. I always take a stroll along the Promenade before going to bed and even though that's generally late at night, I've never seen any trouble...

• Like 5

The issue of alcohol, or the lack of alcohol, in the recent World Cup is interesting. Fans seemed to be better behaved. I read about some of the Wales supporters who said that they would normally have drowned their sorrows after the last defeat and would have been worse for wear the following day. Instead, they had a clear head, were hundreds of pounds better off and decided to spend their money on day passes at a luxury hotel to enjoy the spa facilities. Probably made for a better experience all round. 

• Like 5

28 minutes ago, Son of Anarchy said:

Only about 50p more for a decent beer than in my local independant, quite nice pub.  Yes there are some nice boozers in Sarfend!   Expensive when compared to my nearest Wetherspoons, but cheaper than a central London or airport Wetherspoons.

All depends where you live if they are cheap or not. Compared to prices in Southampton p&O are very competitive but not compared to places up here (outwith the cities).

My last hotel stay in Southampton my husband asked if the glass came with the pint for the price as it was so expensive!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, zap99 said:

So only one of them did it. Not really an issue then.🤔

No it was an issue but I do not know the outcome of the "guilty" man so did not speculate. I was told security was involved with both

23 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

All depends where you live if they are cheap or not. Compared to prices in Southampton p&O are very competitive but not compared to places up here (outwith the cities).

My last hotel stay in Southampton my husband asked if the glass came with the pint for the price as it was so expensive!

When my father-in-law from Glasgow used to visit us in the South in the 90's he was bordering on apoplectic that a tea in a cafe was £1...........

• Haha 3

Just now, Britboys said:

When my father-in-law from Glasgow used to visit us in the South in the 90's he was bordering on apoplectic that a tea in a cafe was £1...........

Sounds like a sensible man. Southern prices come as a bit of a shock sometimes.

My mum literally chocked at the price of a cup of tea in Norway and she couldn’t even drink it as it was Earl Grey and not her usual black tea. She took a picture of the bill as she said no one would believe her.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

38 minutes ago, Ardennais said:

The issue of alcohol, or the lack of alcohol, in the recent World Cup is interesting. Fans seemed to be better behaved. I read about some of the Wales supporters who said that they would normally have drowned their sorrows after the last defeat and would have been worse for wear the following day. Instead, they had a clear head, were hundreds of pounds better off and decided to spend their money on day passes at a luxury hotel to enjoy the spa facilities. Probably made for a better experience all round. 

But on cruise ships don't most people get the all inc drinks package and lets be real here many people are served well beyond their limit onboard aren't they?

10 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

But on cruise ships don't most people get the all inc drinks package and lets be real here many people are served well beyond their limit onboard aren't they?

Not on P&O,  as it is such poor value.

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

On NCL, Royal and even Cunard I have seen people wheeled out of the club in the wheelchairs and literally dumped on the the floor of their cabins.

And you know they had the drinks package because.....?

2 hours ago, Tablelamp said:

I do exactly the same when travelling solo. As Phil said in another post these occurrences are still relatively rare and although I cited three unpleasant situations ( over 25 + cruises), they in no way affected my enjoyment of each cruise. I would carry on exactly as you have done on past cruises and walk that dinner off before retiring. I will be doing exactly that on Britannia in October. Have a great time whatever you book. Jane.x

• Like 7

13 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

because i was hanging out with them in the club?

Crikey, G32 must have changed!.  On all my transatlantic voyages on QM2 there's usually one man and his dog in there after 11.00pm.  Not sure about Cunard drinks package but isn't it often given free to Americans but other nationalities have to pay and its priced high?

Edited by Megabear2