New to Regent

tnm6217

11 hours ago, jill5172 said:

@slidebiteI would have said the same thing when I (a committed non-gamer) first met my husband and my best friends almost 20 years ago, but the reality is that not everyone has the same interests as me.  If I can convince my introverted husband and kids to go on a cruise to places I want to go by letting them have their decompression time in the cabin while I hang out on deck with a drink and play trivia with strangers, it’s all good!  As they say, to each his own.

Oh for sure and I agree, I thought it was apparent that was pretty much in jest. In reality it's not much different than reading a book especially during a sea day or not the greatest weather and activities aren't "floating your boat" (sorry about that!)

BUT, seriously, and I say this as a gamer (I personally have the consoles and a nice big gaming PC) that the only thing electronic I'll have with me might be my small Surface PC for emailing and taking photos off my SLR. Other than that, my downtime is doing cruise activities, maybe in the lounge or stuffing my face lol. I am looking forward to meeting a few new people and exploring the handful of ports to the largest I'm able to take advantage.

But yeah, as a note to others, please don't throw a PS5 into the sea!

• Like 1

Regarding hooking a box to the tv, I have read a few posts in the past reporting or guessing, I can’t remember which, that if you bring your own Samsung remote you can access the TV functions and change inputs. 

Looking at our TV and remote on Splendor last July it was configured as a computer display. 

In our "Deluxe Verandah" cabin on Navigator last month, there was an HDMI port along the back of the desk.  We assumed that it would connect to the TV, but we did not have anything to plug into it, so I can't confirm that.  I can't think of what else it might have been used for, unless it was just for maintenance???

I was a pretty avid gamer when I was younger...but I never felt the need to bring a game console on a cruise, especially a port-intensive cruise - too much other stuff going on to play games I can play at home.  Just my (older dude) opinion,  of course.  🙂

• Like 1

22 hours ago, UUNetBill said:

I was a pretty avid gamer when I was younger...but I never felt the need to bring a game console on a cruise, especially a port-intensive cruise - too much other stuff going on to play games I can play at home.  Just my (older dude) opinion,  of course.  🙂

I suspect this would mostly be for the teens that do not want to hang out with the "olds" (aka, their parents) when not on shore.

• Thanks 1

On 1/16/2023 at 8:21 PM, SusieQft said:

In our "Deluxe Verandah" cabin on Navigator last month, there was an HDMI port along the back of the desk.  We assumed that it would connect to the TV, but we did not have anything to plug into it, so I can't confirm that.  I can't think of what else it might have been used for, unless it was just for maintenance???

Yes, most if not all newer TV's have ports in the back.  In order to use the ports you have to change the inputs in the settings so that is what is blocked plus you have to have the exact same remot that allows settings as the remote on cruise ships is special with limited capabilities.

You'd probably still need to change an input port on the TV, assuming that HDMI port on the desk is even hooked up to anything.

Totally throwing this out there (as I personally don't care) I know that some phones/tablets have IR capabilities and remote apps. I wonder if you could use that to change the TV inputs/settings?

5 hours ago, slidebite said:

You'd probably still need to change an input port on the TV, assuming that HDMI port on the desk is even hooked up to anything.

Totally throwing this out there (as I personally don't care) I know that some phones/tablets have IR capabilities and remote apps. I wonder if you could use that to change the TV inputs/settings?

At least on the Explorer and the Splendor, the menu on the TV has a section that enables you to change the input. I’m not sure about the other ships.

Dave

Edited by DaveFr

21 hours ago, DaveFr said:

At least on the Explorer and the Splendor, the menu on the TV has a section that enables you to change the input. I’m not sure about the other ships.

Dave

Interesting, I looked for and didn’t find that on Splendor last year. I guess I didn’t look hard enough.