What is life like on Virtuosa currently?

sidekick180

Hi everyone,

My wife and I are booked on Virtuosa 14th April 2023, along with two of our friends. This will be the very first cruise for our friends, but my OH and myself have previously had 3 cruises with another cruise line. This will be our fist with MSC.

We have no idea what to expect, or what it will be like, but we will go with an open mind, and do our very best to make it a cruise to remember.

I was just wondering if anyone on here has been on Virtuosa recently, and could possibly give us some feedback.

I have been reading a lot of negative posts on a social media site, and to be honest, some of those comments make me wonder if I have made a huge mistake by booking this for the four of us.

Honest and constructive feedback would be very much appreciated. TIA

We had a great time in November and are going on again in May. Negative reviews that I saw seemed to focus mainly on service (which we thought was great - everyone was so nice and friendly and even went above and beyond on my birthday to make it extra special), and food (which we thought was fine - the pizza was great! The main dining room didn't blow my mind but it was perfectly fine and there was nothing I ate that I felt was bad. We didnt try speciality dining this time round but might try Hola tacos next time).

Late night entertainment was a lot of fun, we very much enjoyed the spa most days, I managed to win a prize at one of the music quizzes, and I highly recommend the Carousel at Sea shows! Didnt feel too crowded but we were outside of school holidays. The buffet only felt crowded on the final morning when everyone disembarking in Southampton was trying to get breakfast at the same time. The indoor jaccuzis did get a little busy at times on sea days but wasnt too bad. Plenty of fun things to do (ropes course, water slides, 4d cinema, VR etc).

Our cabin (balcony on deck 12) was very comfortable. Ship was spotlessly clean at all times.

If I had a complaint it would be around excursions. We booked these before the cruise but didn't know what time in the day they would be happening until the night before the excursion took place. Makes it a bit harder if you like to plan ahead but not a massive problem overall.

Different strokes for different folks and all that, but we had a great week, especially considering the price we paid (£510pp which also included premium drinks)

Like you say, go with an open mind. Not every single person is going to enjoy every single cruise line, but I personally can't wait to sail with MSC again.

Edited by nikoo.s
  • Like 2

Have been on Virtuosa twice, the last time being early summer 2022.   I have to put my hand up and say that I would never have considered a cruise ship of such a size, despite working on board them in my home port.   Or MSC for that matter.

Virtuosa is a stunning ship.  Very clean, and with an easily negotiated layout.   MDR food is good - it's not Michelin star, but is certainly on a par with a good restaurant.   The buffet is vast - seating, including outside, towards the back, is often much quieter.  As one would imagine with an Italian ship, pizza, pasta, gelato and freshly made mozzarella is great.   Drinks packages are good value - my highlight cocktail (mocktail in my case) is the strawberry daiquiri.

Theatre shows, like the ship in general, are dazzly and bright.   Enthusiastic, talented entertainers.   The theme of the shows sometimes go off on a bit of a tangent, but I've just accepted to like them at face value.   The planetarium light show in the galleria is mesmerising.

Hola! tacos and cantina is fantastic.   Book as soon as you can after embarkation, as it gets filled quickly (it's not that big).  The £17.99 all you can eat is outstanding value.

Guest services can be difficult to hear or understand as there's frequently a musician playing only a few feet away.  MSC UK land customer services are flaky and inconsistent.   Try not to amend anything before you go - stick to the original plan.  

I'll be back on her in May.

IMG_0110.JPG

• Like 4

8 hours ago, nikoo.s said:

We had a great time in November and are going on again in May. Negative reviews that I saw seemed to focus mainly on service (which we thought was great - everyone was so nice and friendly and even went above and beyond on my birthday to make it extra special), and food (which we thought was fine - the pizza was great! The main dining room didn't blow my mind but it was perfectly fine and there was nothing I ate that I felt was bad. We didnt try speciality dining this time round but might try Hola tacos next time).

Late night entertainment was a lot of fun, we very much enjoyed the spa most days, I managed to win a prize at one of the music quizzes, and I highly recommend the Carousel at Sea shows! Didnt feel too crowded but we were outside of school holidays. The buffet only felt crowded on the final morning when everyone disembarking in Southampton was trying to get breakfast at the same time. The indoor jaccuzis did get a little busy at times on sea days but wasnt too bad. Plenty of fun things to do (ropes course, water slides, 4d cinema, VR etc).

Our cabin (balcony on deck 12) was very comfortable. Ship was spotlessly clean at all times.

If I had a complaint it would be around excursions. We booked these before the cruise but didn't know what time in the day they would be happening until the night before the excursion took place. Makes it a bit harder if you like to plan ahead but not a massive problem overall.

Different strokes for different folks and all that, but we had a great week, especially considering the price we paid (£510pp which also included premium drinks)

Like you say, go with an open mind. Not every single person is going to enjoy every single cruise line, but I personally can't wait to sail with MSC again.

Thank you very much for your indepth feedback. This has definitely put my mind at rest, and will help us to enjoy the cruise more than we would have. I have already booked both of the carousel shows with cocktails, but the cocktail isn't really too much of a bonus because we also booked with the free premium drinks package anyway. It did cost quite a bit more than your cruise, but I still think it was good value for money. thanks again.

• Like 2

Thank you for taking the time to reply, and giving such balanced feedback. We are by no means posh people, so we would be more than happy with most meals served on board, as long as they are cooked properly, and hot.

My wife is wheat intolerant, so hopefully there will be plenty of options for her.

Some of the main things we look forward to on a cruise is a clean comfortable ship, nice swimming pools, and jacuzzi's, but mainly, plenty of entertainment.

Having not been with MSC before, we don't know how much entertainment is provided.

On the previous cruises we have done, we would go and watch a theatre show at the front of the ship, then go to the middle of the ship for a live band or tribute act, then the back of the ship for a comedian or something else. Often ending up back at the middle of the ship for a late night disco, or more music from the resident band. This was pretty much every night, and quite often different types of entertainment. If this cruise is anything like that, we will have a fantastic time. Thank you again.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, showingdiva said:

Have been on Virtuosa twice, the last time being early summer 2022.   I have to put my hand up and say that I would never have considered a cruise ship of such a size, despite working on board them in my home port.   Or MSC for that matter.

Virtuosa is a stunning ship.  Very clean, and with an easily negotiated layout.   MDR food is good - it's not Michelin star, but is certainly on a par with a good restaurant.   The buffet is vast - seating, including outside, towards the back, is often much quieter.  As one would imagine with an Italian ship, pizza, pasta, gelato and freshly made mozzarella is great.   Drinks packages are good value - my highlight cocktail (mocktail in my case) is the strawberry daiquiri.

Theatre shows, like the ship in general, are dazzly and bright.   Enthusiastic, talented entertainers.   The theme of the shows sometimes go off on a bit of a tangent, but I've just accepted to like them at face value.   The planetarium light show in the galleria is mesmerising.

Hola! tacos and cantina is fantastic.   Book as soon as you can after embarkation, as it gets filled quickly (it's not that big).  The £17.99 all you can eat is outstanding value.

Guest services can be difficult to hear or understand as there's frequently a musician playing only a few feet away.  MSC UK land customer services are flaky and inconsistent.   Try not to amend anything before you go - stick to the original plan.  

I'll be back on her in May.

IMG_0110.JPG

Thank you for taking the time to reply, and giving such balanced feedback. We are by no means posh people, so we would be more than happy with most meals served on board, as long as they are cooked properly, and hot.

My wife is wheat intolerant, so hopefully there will be plenty of options for her.

Some of the main things we look forward to on a cruise is a clean comfortable ship, nice swimming pools, and jacuzzi's, but mainly, plenty of entertainment.

Having not been with MSC before, we don't know how much entertainment is provided.

On the previous cruises we have done, we would go and watch a theatre show at the front of the ship, then go to the middle of the ship for a live band or tribute act, then the back of the ship for a comedian or something else. Often ending up back at the middle of the ship for a late night disco, or more music from the resident band. This was pretty much every night, and quite often different types of entertainment. If this cruise is anything like that, we will have a fantastic time. Thank you again.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sidekick180 said:

Thank you very much for your indepth feedback. This has definitely put my mind at rest, and will help us to enjoy the cruise more than we would have. I have already booked both of the carousel shows with cocktails, but the cocktail isn't really too much of a bonus because we also booked with the free premium drinks package anyway. It did cost quite a bit more than your cruise, but I still think it was good value for money. thanks again.

No problem, glad to help! And regarding cost we just got very lucky last time with the deal and a free balcony upgrade, our next trip on Virtuosa in May is also costing quite a bit more too but I still think good value. You'll love the Carousel shows! 🙂

• Like 1

Hi I've been on this ship 6 times and going on her again end of April. I have stayed in the main part of the ship and the last couple of times in Yacht club.

My last visit on the Virtuosa was in December and I have to say it was my 2nd favourite cruise on her. The ship as others have said is beautiful clean, the cabins I've stayed in have been absolutely fine.

Yes the buffet can get crowded at peak times but head towards the back of the buffet towards the back of the ship and it's quieter and there is outside seating if the weather is nice. 

The Pizza on board is the best pizza you will find at sea. Made fresh to Italian standards or as near as possible.

The Butchers cut is a must if you like your steak and Hola! (Mexican) etc Is really good too. My advice is to book these on board as soon as you can as the butchers cut does get booked up in the evenings. Lunch times not so bad.

The shows in the theatre seem to have got better and better each time i've been on board and the evening entertainment is great too. 

The staff I've never had any issues with them. They are all work very hard and are very friendly. 

If you want to go somewhere quiet then head towards the Sky Lounge on deck 18 it's Adults only but it can get busy in there especially if the weather is rubbish outside.

Everything everyone else has said is pretty much what I would say. 

Msc are different i'm not saying they are perfect, but no cruise line is perfect but msc is not like your p&os royals etc so go with an open mind.

They have done and still try to cater for us brits in the food department and also with the tea, coffee and kettles in your cabin which they never used to do.

It should be GBP on board in April as they switch from Euros as Southampton becomes the main embarkation/starting point.

I hope you have a great cruise 😊

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, showingdiva said:

I should probably also have mentioned that you will need to take a plug adaptor with you - Virtuosa wasn't originally built to serve the UK market.  She has US and EU plugs in the cabins.  USB ports are under the bedside lamps.

Yes good point, I forgot to mention this. Also we didn't notice until our 3rd day that the bedside lamps actually have USB slots in them so you can use your phone / tablet in bed while it's charging 🙂

• Like 1

Reading this with interest as we go early March. We got a great deal on a balcony cabin on Deck 12, and have booked the Speciality dining package of 4 different venues (thought we'd try lots!) and have also booked the Alcohol Free drinks package so I'll try the Strawberry Daquiri.

My huband is lactose-intolerant so I've completed the form on the website and been assured there will be lactose free milk available. I'll report back of course. 

Edited by elmsliebev

55 minutes ago, elmsliebev said:

Reading this with interest as we go early March. We got a great deal on a balcony cabin on Deck 12, and have booked the Speciality dining package of 4 different venues (thought we'd try lots!) and have also booked the Alcohol Free drinks package so I'll try the Strawberry Daquiri.

My huband is lactose-intolerant so I've completed the form on the website and been assured there will be lactose free milk available. I'll report back of course. 

The non-alcohol version is called a Daiquiri Zero.   It's addictive.    As part of the alcohol free package, you also get soft serve ice cream from the bar at the rear of the pool deck.   My favourite combination of that so far is vanilla ice cream, lemon sherbet and passion fruit sauce.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, elmsliebev said:

Could you please let me know where you found the forms on the website for your husbands lactose intolerance. I also am lactose intolerant and my wife is wheat intolerant, but I've not seen anywhere on the website to indicate this for our cruise. Many thanks

4 hours ago, showingdiva said:

The non-alcohol version is called a Daiquiri Zero.   It's addictive.    As part of the alcohol free package, you also get soft serve ice cream from the bar at the rear of the pool deck.   My favourite combination of that so far is vanilla ice cream, lemon sherbet and passion fruit sauce.

oh boy, sounds right up my street! I do love my ice cream. I love a Mojito Zero too. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sidekick180 said:

Could you please let me know where you found the forms on the website for your husbands lactose intolerance. I also am lactose intolerant and my wife is wheat intolerant, but I've not seen anywhere on the website to indicate this for our cruise. Many thanks

I found it here   https://www.msccruises.com/en-gl/Manage-Your-Booking/Special-Needs.aspx

if you click on Informing us of special needs, the form is there. It was a pain to complete and I ended up scannng it and emailing it that way, but we got there in the end!

Edited by elmsliebev

6 minutes ago, Stockjock said:

We got off a few days ago and had a very nice time (NYE cruise).  I'll be writing a comprehensive review soon, but until then, let me/us know if you have any specific questions.

Did you eat in the main dining room? Last time we were on Virtuosa I think that and the bar service were our only criticisms, The MDR food was rather bland and unambiguous. 

Thank you!

2 minutes ago, TheJester said:

Did you eat in the main dining room? Last time we were on Virtuosa I think that and the bar service were our only criticisms, The MDR food was rather bland and unambiguous. 

Thank you!

Yes we ate in the MDR all but one night.  The food was as expected.  Average to "pretty good".  Never bad and never great.  But acceptable at the price paid.

We ate at Indochine for my free Diamond tier benefit and we liked that quite a lot.

Edited by Stockjock

Just now, Stockjock said:

Yes we ate in the MDR all but one night.  The food was as expected.  Average to "pretty good".  Never bad and never great.  But acceptable at the price paid.

Thank you. We have Butcher’s cut and Indochine booked for a couple of nights but will be in the MDR for the rest. 

7 minutes ago, TheJester said:

Thank you. We have Butcher’s cut and Indochine booked for a couple of nights but will be in the MDR for the rest. 

We did Butcher's Cut on Grandiosa in September.  I thought the food was excellent but the presentation lacking and the service unpolished.  The service was far more polished on Virtuosa's Indochine.  Seemed like they had their better waiters in that restaurant, whereas on Grandiosa, the waiters were seemingly newer.

Edited by Stockjock

1 minute ago, Stockjock said:

We did Butcher's Cut on Grandiosa in September.  I thought the food was excellent but the presentation lacking and the service unpolished.  The service was far more polished on Virtuoso's Indochine.  Seemed like they had their better waiters in that restaurant, whereas on Grandiosa, the waiters were seemingly newer.

I concur with your assessment. On our last cruise we found the food in both was of good quality (although who could eat all that bread in Butcher’s Cut?) but the service was notably better in Indochine. 

We tried the Hola Mexican place but it was quite underwhelming. 

17 minutes ago, TheJester said:

I concur with your assessment. On our last cruise we found the food in both was of good quality (although who could eat all that bread in Butcher’s Cut?) but the service was notably better in Indochine. 

We tried the Hola Mexican place but it was quite underwhelming. 

On Grandiosa, we did Hola Tapas (as opposed to Hola Tacos) and it too was underwhelming.

On 1/11/2023 at 2:30 AM, nikoo.s said:

Plenty of fun things to do (ropes course, water slides, 4d cinema, VR etc).

I am surprised the water slides were open in November.  I guess for the brave or careless for the cold. 

5 hours ago, TrustyJ said:

I am surprised the water slides were open in November.  I guess for the brave or careless for the cold. 

I was one of those brave / careless people ha ha. The water was slightly heated and the day we were in le havre the weather was actually relatively nice (for the time of year) so I gave the slides a go! Glad I did! 

18 hours ago, sidekick180 said:

Be aware that only in the MDR will they specifically cater for a gluten-free diet, with a separate menu prepared in a separate kitchen. That menu sometimes doesn't include gluten-free items from the main menu - it took some negotiation for my wife to get some sorbet!
The buffet and other restaurants don't have any labelling of allergens and were not willing to discuss options, even for an intolerance rather than an allergy.