Food: Current vs pre-covid

mamapirk

3 hours ago, Colorado Klutch said:

Pardon me for using a Navy reference again, but when I was stationed aboard an aircraft carrier, I used to see the Logistics Requests. Whenever the ship pulled into a port, we would purchase supplies from the local economy. (One of the reasons foreign countries were willing to put up with thousands of sailors invading was the huge sums of money the Navy brought in with them.) One number that stood out was "11,000 Dozen Eggs". I expect cruise ships order similar numbers. 

I'm a retired Navy Supply Officer, and the numbers of provisions we would buy on the local economy of wherever in the world our ship happened to be were staggering.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

???? 

You seem to be completely misreading the previous post by Stateroom_Sailor. S/he isn't claiming HAL is a luxury line at all. In fact, says the opposite.

And it makes perfect sense to suggest that if HAL can't maintain an edge over other mass-market lines (NOT luxury lines) with regard to food or entertainment, then focusing on their strength in longer voyages and interesting itineraries makes good sense.

I book HAL only for certain specific itineraries for 7 days where they seem competitive.  Otherwise they are out-classed by 8-10 other lines often at similar prices, but even if others are pricier they deliver more and I'm willing to slap leather for that.  Not a "budget cruiser."

4 hours ago, Colorado Klutch said:

Pardon me for using a Navy reference again, but when I was stationed aboard an aircraft carrier, I used to see the Logistics Requests. Whenever the ship pulled into a port, we would purchase supplies from the local economy. (One of the reasons foreign countries were willing to put up with thousands of sailors invading was the huge sums of money the Navy brought in with them.) One number that stood out was "11,000 Dozen Eggs". I expect cruise ships order similar numbers. 

Here is the problem. The Navy can do this, but almost all cruise lines can not. There is a thing called Liability.
Food suppliers such as Airamark, Sysco Foods and  GFS Foods to name a few give a guarantee on the food quality. This allows the cruise line to go after the food supplier if something happens. If a passenger gets sick who pays the bills etc.? They will likely sue the cruise line.

The Navy has someone get sick on a ship they report to the Hospital and get taken care of and not have any bills to pay.

One of the few places outside US/Canada home port I see ships take on local stores is in Alaska. This would be for seafood. Only makes sense.

If you are cruising out of Australia lets say the ships will source some items from local suppliers that offer similar guarantees. Things like Kangaroo, Lamb, beef and vegemite to name a few are sourced local because the makeup of the passenger list is from that part of the world.
The problem lies in say cruise lines who offer things like USDA Steak on their menu's for their steak houses. This has to be shipped from the USA, hence the containers.

Does this help you understand?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Colorado Klutch said:

The prices I've seen for Seabourn and Viking were much higher than HAL. Maybe I wasn't pricing things correctly?

We looked at the Viking option for our upcoming New England/East Coast Canada adventure and we could be in a Neptune suite on Zaandam for less than the cost of a standard veranda on Viking. Fortunately for us we had already tried a Viking Ocean cruise and for us it did not live up to the hype or the price. We chose a Vista Suite (basically a regular veranda on any other line) on Zaandam and we hope that it will be a good choice. If it is we may choose HAL for our twice cancelled down under adventure. That was originally on Celebrity Eclipse and we would have stuck with that but of course Celebrity has put the "Edge" on that itinerary for 2024, we are not interested in sailing on that class of ship.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Colorado Klutch said:

The prices I've seen for Seabourn and Viking were much higher than HAL. Maybe I wasn't pricing things correctly?

When comparing HAL to Seabourn you need to make it Apples to Apples.  A Signature Suite (HAL) would be comparable to a normal cabin/suite on SB except that on SB the bathroom would have both a full size tub, separate shower, and double sink.  You would also need to price HAL as an all-inclusive product so would need to add a premium drink package (not the normal HAL drink package) and unlimited meals in the Pinnacle/Taramind.  Seabourn has no add-ons for alternate dining and there are no add-ons for any dining item.  At that point you would need to consider that SB ships have about twice the space ratio of a HAL ship so you do not have queues on SB.  

I have often posted that the big problem with SB, for many HAL cruisers, is that on SB the MDR does not even open for dinner until 7pm, a time when some HAL cruisers have already returned to their cabins for the night.  And SB only has a single production show on most nights which is generally at 9:30.   HAL is more suitable for the "dinner at 5, bed at 8:30 crowd."   We have never cruised on Viking Ocean, although a close relative loves that line and would not even consider moving back down to a mass market line like Princess or HAL.

Hank

• Like 1

Sailed in November on NS and the food was excellent. The only food change that we noted was that we felt that the desert selection in the desserts themselves were not as good as they were pre-pandemic. When we sailed before there was a different kind of cheesecake offered every day and this time there was not. The cheesecake however that they had was very good. We just felt that the desserts had gone down since the pandemic. But that is a very small thing to complain about. The salmon with the ginger rice in the main dining room was excellent. 

11 hours ago, Seacruise said:

Here is the problem. The Navy can do this, but almost all cruise lines can not. There is a thing called Liability.
Food suppliers such as Airamark, Sysco Foods and  GFS Foods to name a few give a guarantee on the food quality. This allows the cruise line to go after the food supplier if something happens. If a passenger gets sick who pays the bills etc.? They will likely sue the cruise line.

The Navy has someone get sick on a ship they report to the Hospital and get taken care of and not have any bills to pay.

One of the few places outside US/Canada home port I see ships take on local stores is in Alaska. This would be for seafood. Only makes sense.

If you are cruising out of Australia lets say the ships will source some items from local suppliers that offer similar guarantees. Things like Kangaroo, Lamb, beef and vegemite to name a few are sourced local because the makeup of the passenger list is from that part of the world.
The problem lies in say cruise lines who offer things like USDA Steak on their menu's for their steak houses. This has to be shipped from the USA, hence the containers.

My only point was that big ships go through a lot of food. Cruise ships get food supplies from wherever they are operating. But sure, it must be from a guaranteed supplier. 

Edited by Colorado Klutch

Just got off a 7 day Nieuw Statendam cruise on the 14th and based on what was served in the MDR, we will not go on another HA cruise anytime soon.  Food quality was terrible, portions were very small, laughable almost.  Went with another couple, who absolutely felt the same way.  Had dinner in Rudi's one night and Pinnacle another night and those meals were superb.  Rudi's was actually an amazing dining experience, while Pinnacle is what you've come to expect from a steak house and what I felt MDR service used to be like, or at least close.  Went on the Konigsdam in Jan 2019 and the food was phenomenal and the reason we booked this cruise on HA again.

I don't think it's just RC that's having sub-par food issues.  

I think so much of it comes down to what food style people want. We were very happy with the food quality and selection in the Koningsdam MDR. I did not save the menus so cannot remember everything we ate, but on the last night we had beef carpaccio, tuna and salmon tartar and port braised lamb shank ... all  were wonderful.

We would not be impressed by shrimp cocktail and steak, although DH had the hanger steak (I think?) with chimichurri one night and reported it to be excellent. I usually lean towards fish and vegetarian selections and I think they could up their vegetarian options on the main menu.

4 hours ago, Hlitner said:

When comparing HAL to Seabourn you need to make it Apples to Apples. 

I actually think part of the problem is assuming that everyone wants Apples. Some of us are just "Oranges" cruisers, for better or worse. I don't give a fig for a premium drinks package and while I might enjoy an occasional meal in Specialty Dining (not Pinnacle Grill, however!), it's just that -- occasional. I don't cruise in a Signature -- or any other -- suite.  

So there is really no way to say that pricing on an all-inclusive Luxury line would ever be cheaper for me, comparing what I actually want and would use....

Now the single loophole to that is solo pricing. However, luxury lines are not as generous with the low solo supplements as they were being for a while. In the past it wasn't too hard to find some luxury lines offering a zero supplement, or perhaps 125% as opposed to 200%, making the experience somewhat more comparable, price-wise.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

I actually think part of the problem is assuming that everyone wants Apples. Some of us are just "Oranges" cruisers, for better or worse. I don't give a fig for a premium drinks package and while I might enjoy an occasional meal in Specialty Dining (not Pinnacle Grill, however!), it's just that -- occasional. I don't cruise in a Signature -- or any other -- suite.  

So there is really no way to say that pricing on an all-inclusive Luxury line would ever be cheaper for me, comparing what I actually want and would use....

Now the single loophole to that is solo pricing. However, luxury lines are not as generous with the low solo supplements as they were being for a while. In the past it wasn't too hard to find some luxury lines offering a zero supplement, or perhaps 125% as opposed to 200%, making the experience somewhat more comparable, price-wise.

No question you are right.  It is the same reason why some folks are happy as clams to book a Days Inn instead of a Four Seasons.  

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

No question you are right.  It is the same reason why some folks are happy as clams to book a Days Inn instead of a Four Seasons.  

It's all subjective. Years ago my brother gave me grief because I wasn't interested in booking a cruise on a Carnival ship. He accused me of thinking I was too good for Carnival. I had to explain I didn't think I was too good for anything. I had simply researched multiple cruise lines and got a very strong impression Carnival wasn't for me. I know lots of people who had a great time aboard Carnival ships. Cool. 

After more research I came to the conclusion Holland America seemed right for me and Mrs. Klutch. I hope I'm right. If not, there are many other cruise lines to choose from.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, richrhon1 said:

Just got off a 7 day Nieuw Statendam cruise on the 14th and based on what was served in the MDR, we will not go on another HA cruise anytime soon.  Food quality was terrible, portions were very small, laughable almost.  Went with another couple, who absolutely felt the same way... 

Looks like I have a lot to look forward to in May, another cruise spent racing for decent food in port.  I will be uploading photos if the cruise line remains the course.

6 hours ago, MereBooty said:

I think so much of it comes down to what food style people want. We were very happy with the food quality and selection in the Koningsdam MDR. I did not save the menus so cannot remember everything we ate, but on the last night we had beef carpaccio, tuna and salmon tartar and port braised lamb shank ... all  were wonderful.

We would not be impressed by shrimp cocktail and steak, although DH had the hanger steak (I think?) with chimichurri one night and reported it to be excellent. I usually lean towards fish and vegetarian selections and I think they could up their vegetarian options on the main menu.

there's a secret Indian vegetarian menu, you could likely search this forum for the topic.  I think you may need to give them a day or so heads up (or at least they prefer a heads up). Like you, we were overall really pleased with our dining on Rotterdam last month.

• Like 1

Just now, jimbob22 said:

there's a secret Indian vegetarian menu, you could likely search this forum for the topic.  I think you may need to give them a day or so heads up (or at least they prefer a heads up). Like you, we were overall really pleased with our dining on Rotterdam last month.

I knew about that but did not request it. I did put on my post-cruise survey that they should consider rolling it into the regular menu though. I did have the aloo masala and eggs bhurji for breakfast in the MDR and enjoyed it.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Hlitner said:

When comparing HAL to Seabourn you need to make it Apples to Apples.  A Signature Suite (HAL) would be comparable to a normal cabin/suite on SB except that on SB the bathroom would have both a full size tub, separate shower, and double sink. 

1E2F6BA6-0D26-4B72-ACFA-4A7C0B0C341D.thumb.jpeg.cca7b7920c49d8d92d8b24014d49d05b.jpeg

23 hours ago, Seacruise said:

11 hours ago, Colorado Klutch said:

My only point was that big ships go through a lot of food. Cruise ships get food supplies from wherever they are operating. But sure, it must be from a guaranteed supplier. 

On my October HAL cruise we didn’t receive a couple of shipments at one of the ports and we were short by 16,000 eggs.  The Hotel GM sent staff out to all the shops in Santorini to buy everything they could.  This wasn’t the first time something like this has happened.  They even have similar instances on Mighty Cruise Ships.  

12 hours ago, Hlitner said:

When comparing HAL to Seabourn you need to make it Apples to Apples. 

I hadn't considered Seabourn before.  $2,700 for 7 nights in a balcony suite, Reykjavik to Copenhagen.  A similar itinerary on HAL, 7 nights in a Vista Suite, with a base fare of $2,100.  Seaborne includes specialty dining, drinks, in-room mini bar, and gratuities.

🙂💡

6 minutes ago, Stateroom_Sailor said:

I hadn't considered Seabourn before.  $2,700 for 7 nights in a balcony suite, Reykjavik to Copenhagen.  A similar itinerary on HAL, 7 nights in a Vista Suite, with a base fare of $2,100.  Seaborne includes specialty dining, drinks, in-room mini bar, and gratuities.

🙂💡

That's on the Ovation which is a ship we have cruised twice in the last 18 months (Greek Islands and a TA cruise).  It is one of the larger vessels and carries about 600 passengers.  When they built those larger ships they added a small Sushi restaurant which is a nice addition for sushi lovers.  That is a terrific price for SB.  We actually looked at that cruise plus the following Norway voyage which has an amazing 21 day itinerary.   It is the best Norwegian itinerary we have ever seen, except for some Hurtigruten voyages.

Hank

• Like 1