Holiday Inn Melbourne Airport

Thrak

Anybody have input on Holiday Inn Melbourne Airport? I believe it's close enough to the airport to walk although there may well be a shuttle. We're flying in one day before we sail and will arrive early that morning. I'm sure one can't just check in that early but I'm hoping they will let us drop our luggage and then go to breakfast or something. Looking for any input on the hotel itself or input regarding where we should stay instead. This hotel makes just one long taxi ride rather than one to a hotel elsewhere and another to the port. If there is a reasonably priced hotel right near the port that might be a better option but we have zero idea what we should do.

The only problem would be what will you do for the day / day and a half between when you arrive and when you board the cruise?

The airport is about 15 miles out of the city centre and there is very little to do nearby.

If you went for a CBD based hotel (there are many at a similar price to the airport hotel) at least you can explore the city.

To get from the city to Station Pier can be done by taxi (as you mentioned) but also can be done by tram, and there may even be a bus running to the pier.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Thrak said:

Anybody have input on Holiday Inn Melbourne Airport? I believe it's close enough to the airport to walk although there may well be a shuttle. We're flying in one day before we sail and will arrive early that morning. I'm sure one can't just check in that early but I'm hoping they will let us drop our luggage and then go to breakfast or something. Looking for any input on the hotel itself or input regarding where we should stay instead. This hotel makes just one long taxi ride rather than one to a hotel elsewhere and another to the port. If there is a reasonably priced hotel right near the port that might be a better option but we have zero idea what we should do.

We stayed at the Holiday Inn some years ago. It was fine for a night. Other than spending time in your room, there is nothing else to do really. We walked to the terminal, but wouldn't do it again.

14 hours ago, Wookie01 said:

The only problem would be what will you do for the day / day and a half between when you arrive and when you board the cruise?

The airport is about 15 miles out of the city centre and there is very little to do nearby.

If you went for a CBD based hotel (there are many at a similar price to the airport hotel) at least you can explore the city.

To get from the city to Station Pier can be done by taxi (as you mentioned) but also can be done by tram, and there may even be a bus running to the pier.

I agree with you, much beter to spend some time in the city. Go for a walk, there are plenty of parks and gardens. 

Good points about nothing to do at that hotel. I like to book IHG properties as we get points. Just checked my credit card site (Capital One) and it had an offer for IHG properties. I booked using that link and should get 8% back as a credit on my statement.

Ended up booking Holiday Inn Express Melbourne Southbank (35-47 City Road, Melbourne ) which appears to be a couple of miles from the cruise terminal. We will almost certainly just take a taxi from MEL to the hotel. It will be a bit more expensive than Uber or the SkyBus but it will be easy. I'd rather just toss the luggage in the trunk of a taxi that is right there waiting than trying to schlep it on and off a bus.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Thrak said:

Good points about nothing to do at that hotel. I like to book IHG properties as we get points. Just checked my credit card site (Capital One) and it had an offer for IHG properties. I booked using that link and should get 8% back as a credit on my statement.

Ended up booking Holiday Inn Express Melbourne Southbank (35-47 City Road, Melbourne ) which appears to be a couple of miles from the cruise terminal. We will almost certainly just take a taxi from MEL to the hotel. It will be a bit more expensive than Uber or the SkyBus but it will be easy. I'd rather just toss the luggage in the trunk of a taxi that is right there waiting than trying to schlep it on and off a bus.

Your hotel is in a great spot, minutes walk to a great range of restaurants at Southbank and from there a short walk to the gardens Melbourne is well renowned for.  A short walk from Southbank across either a pedestrian bridge or Princess Bridge takes you into the CBD (central business district) proper. You are close to the National Gallery of Victoria, the Melbourne Aquarium and Federation Square from which there is a nice walk along the Yarra River to the Melbourne Cricket Ground and Melbourne Park where the Australian Tennis Open  is held.

8 hours ago, Thrak said:

Your hotel is in a great spot, minutes walk to a great range of restaurants at Southbank and from there a short walk to the gardens Melbourne is well renowned for.  A short walk from Southbank across either a pedestrian bridge or Princess Bridge takes you into the CBD (central business district) proper. You are close to the National Gallery of Victoria, the Melbourne Aquarium and Federation Square from which there is a nice walk along the Yarra River to the Melbourne Cricket Ground and Melbourne Park where the Australian Tennis Open  is held.