New to O - What's Your Experience With Wait List?

mnocket

I'm looking at an Artic cruise 18 months from now.  Since it's a cold weather cruise I really don't think I'll need a veranda, so I'm looking at ocean view cabins.  Unfortunately, the ocean view cabins are show as Wait List.  So two questions.....

1) How does Wait List work?

2) With 18 months to go Is there a realistic chance that a wait listed booking will come through?

Thanks

My experience is to regularly check availability on Oceania’s website.   The one time I was waitlisted, I located the availability and made the call to my TA to get it.

LHT28’s advice is also valid, you can always cancel before final payment if what you want doesn’t become available.

Good luck!

Joe

We went on waitlist for a OC.We didn’t want anything else for our special,occasion.We were advised  on here (thank you everyone) to put down a deposit, which we did.We were informed where we were on the waitlist.We didn’t wait long and got what we wanted but the price was higher when we got through.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, mnocket said:

Since it's a cold weather cruise I really don't think I'll need a veranda

I would assume the majority of Alaksa/Arctic sailors would want a veranda - despite the cold, it's often the best seat in the house for all the amazing scenery/wildlife you'll be passing by!  Just dress warm and pack a blanket, and you're never more than 3 steps away from your stateroom if you need to warm up for a bit.

Either way, good luck!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, mnocket said:

Thank you all for the replies.  It never occurred to me to make two bookings and cancel the veranda if the ocean view came through.  Duh

Just ask your TA or O to book a specific  cabin then waitlist for the OV

You pay  the going rate when you clear the waitlist  & if you do not clear it  then at least you have a cabin with a balcony of you want to use it

1 hour ago, spryder said:

I would assume the majority of Alaksa/Arctic sailors would want a veranda - despite the cold, it's often the best seat in the house for all the amazing scenery/wildlife you'll be passing by!  Just dress warm and pack a blanket, and you're never more than 3 steps away from your stateroom if you need to warm up for a bit.

Either way, good luck!

This is so true. 

I contacted our Oceania Rep and gave her two dates in 2023....as I was beginning to panic in not having any additional cruises booked.  But nothing was available.  Within 24 hours, I had CLEARED the Wait List for a September cruise in Europe.  I had specified Vista Suite or above.....and I DID put down a $500 per passenger deposit.  

Not sure if I just got lucky?  But I am a happy camper!

• Like 1

On 1/12/2023 at 3:02 AM, JoePDX said:

My experience is to regularly check availability on Oceania’s website.   The one time I was waitlisted, I located the availability and made the call to my TA to get it.

LHT28’s advice is also valid, you can always cancel before final payment if what you want doesn’t become available.

Good luck!

Joe

Oh no now everyone knows the trick... 🙂

• Haha 1

I wanted to comment on room choice. My late husband And I went to the Antarctic, as well as the Arctic, and we had a room with a balcony. That was the greatest choice we could’ve made. Standing on the veranda isn’t as cold as you might think it is. We did stand up against the windows on some days but it makes such a difference to feel it live as opposed to looking through a window.

30 minutes ago, spindrift said:

I wanted to comment on room choice. My late husband And I went to the Antarctic, as well as the Arctic, and we had a room with a balcony. That was the greatest choice we could’ve made. Standing on the veranda isn’t as cold as you might think it is. We did stand up against the windows on some days but it makes such a difference to feel it live as opposed to looking through a window.

I so agree!!  Totally different, depending on what side of the glass you are on!!

5 hours ago, spindrift said:

Thanks for the input.  I'll have to reconsider the ocean view cabin.