sailing with children

delgirl

Have tried to book a 3 nighter on qm2 in september. Wouldn't let me book so I phoned (TA not cunard) and they said they were at capacity for 3-7 yr olds. Is this normal as found it hard to believe that no availability for that age group. Our other grandson would be fine as he is 9.

31 minutes ago, delgirl said:

Have tried to book a 3 nighter on qm2 in september. Wouldn't let me book so I phoned (TA not cunard) and they said they were at capacity for 3-7 yr olds. Is this normal as found it hard to believe that no availability for that age group. Our other grandson would be fine as he is 9.

I was not aware of such capacity limitations, but am encouraged to hear of them.  At some point a ship will not be able to properly accommodate very large numbers of young children.  

• Like 1

Yes, there are capacity controls for various age groups. My understanding is that is based on capacities for the various kids clubs on board. I thought the age groups for the kids clubs were defined as follows.

Baby Zone (6 months to 23 months)

Play Zone (2 years to 7 years)

Kids Zone (8 years to 12 years)

Teen Zone (13 years to 17 years)

I see though when I start a booking for the cruise you are looking at, it will accept a 2 year old but not a 3 through 7 year old so I'm not sure what's up with that. That does correspond to what you have been told about your cruise being at capacity for 3-7 year olds.

16 minutes ago, bluemarble said:

Yes, there are capacity controls for various age groups. My understanding is that is based on capacities for the various kids clubs on board. I thought the age groups for the kids clubs were defined as follows.

Baby Zone (6 months to 23 months)

Play Zone (2 years to 7 years)

Kids Zone (8 years to 12 years)

Teen Zone (13 years to 17 years)

I see though when I start a booking for the cruise you are looking at, it will accept a 2 year old but not a 3 through 7 year old so I'm not sure what's up with that. That does correspond to what you have been told about your cruise being at capacity for 3-7 year olds.

I should imagine that age group is probably the most staff intensive.

thank you for your replies. Have phoned cunard and they say just 2-7 yr olds are at capacity. They have put us on a waitlist. She did say she thinks there is a very good chance of us being able to go. Just have to wait.

I do understand this is frustrating, but honestly you'd rather they limit the number of children on board than be denied access to the kids clubs once the cruise sails (assuming the parents/you/the child wants to be in the kids club).  Its  a pretty miserable experience on other ships, with parents lining up early to secure spots, and waiting on long lines to check everyone in at once.  Disney does this also.  The lines that don't do this can sometimes fill to capacity and really create a lot of stress for families.

Edited by kitkat343
  • Like 2

As a professional educator I see the benefits in that this ensures a reasonable staff to children ratio for supervision purposes.  It also could be an effort to avoid spending additional money on child programs.  

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Did a dummy booking for this cruise this afternoon was letting me book for 5 yr old. Phoned cunard and they said yes so all booked. Was supposed to get an e-mail telling me there was a vacancy but never got it. Thank goodness I was bored this afternoon.🤣

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, delgirl said:

Did a dummy booking for this cruise this afternoon was letting me book for 5 yr old. Phoned cunard and they said yes so all booked. Was supposed to get an e-mail telling me there was a vacancy but never got it. Thank goodness I was bored this afternoon.🤣

Excellent. Thanks for the follow-up. There does appear to be an ongoing issue with Cunard waitlists. We've had reports from other members on waitlists for cabins who happened to notice cabin availability appearing on the website without word from Cunard about their waitlist status. Well done for following through on your own.

• Like 2