Bringing Medications and Vitamins on a Cruise

pappy1022

I know that different countries have different rules so for our cruise we are flying from the US to Copenhagen via London Heathrow and then getting on a Regent cruise to the British Isles. I have a combination of common vitamins and a few medications that I take daily. All of the vitamins and medications that I take are solids with the exception of fish oil, vitamin D and a weekly prescription shot injection. The shot needs to be chilled so I have a small container that has ice packs in it. Logistically, what have you found to be the best way to bring vitamins and prescription drugs on a cruise so that nothing gets confiscated or triggers an extensive security check? I was planning on bringing the prescription drugs in their original bottle that has the label as to what they are and how much is prescribed and bringing just enough to cover the trip and a couple of extra days. Do I need to take vitamins in their original container as well? I also thought that I would bring the prescription drugs in my carry on and the vitamins in our checked luggage given that the vitamins aren’t as critical. 

For prescription meds - yes, do bring the bottle with the prescription label. It will help in case there are any questions.  Also, in an emergency or hospitalization it is good that a doctor can see the prescription. I've travelled all over, even in Singapore where drug laws are so strict, and have always thrown my loose vitamins into a baggie which is placed in my carry-on.  I've never been stopped or questioned - perhaps I've been lucky.  I think screeners are pretty savvy about seeing a bag of vitamins and old person.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Has anyone had issues getting through airport security/customs and if so what were the circumstances and the outcome? I had a friend who was pulled over at Heathrow for a detailed secondary security check for a liquid med in their carry on. In the end they were able to keep the med but because of the delay they were almost late for their connecting flight. Is it wiser to just tell security upfront what meds you are carrying or let them do their routine check and find them by themselves?

I take several medications and supplements, put each day’s dose in small plastic bags. Our hospital system prints out a list of my medications and supplements with prescribing information and diagnosis, which I take with me. We travel extensively and have not had any issues. 

Some places are very strict  about meds like Singapore is. We have traveled all over the world since DH retired for months at a time with many flights…22 on one trip . One carry one is set aside for meds for us and we nearly fill it up when we are traveling for 4 or 5 months. All pills,  gels and liquids go in together since meds don’t count against the 3oz rule. I keep all meds in original container and have the Drs prescription with the meds. Keep vitamins in original container also. There is usually no problem and the suitcase goes right through…especially in GB, Europe, SA and even Africa. In Asian airport they have looked but once they see the Drs note no problem.

We carry it all together because we don’t want them to have s reason to open the checked luggage which happened a time or two when we placed containers in the checked luggage.

• Like 1

I have our meds/vitamins in daily pockets in carryon.  The one liquid med I have I keep with other liquids, it may not count toward the amount you can have but still a liquid so I pull it out.  Have never had a problem.  I have copy of scripts for all the meds.

• Like 1

We keep ours in the original containers.  We don’t have any liquids, but as long as you have the prescription with that one liquid injection, I think it would be fine.  I am guessing it is B12, which you would be ok skipping a week or two if you have been on it awhile (I am a doctor)

On 1/13/2023 at 1:21 PM, cwn said:

Some places are very strict  about meds like Singapore is. We have traveled all over the world since DH retired for months at a time with many flights…22 on one trip . One carry one is set aside for meds for us and we nearly fill it up when we are traveling for 4 or 5 months. All pills,  gels and liquids go in together since meds don’t count against the 3oz rule. I keep all meds in original container and have the Drs prescription with the meds. Keep vitamins in original container also. There is usually no problem and the suitcase goes right through…especially in GB, Europe, SA and even Africa. In Asian airport they have looked but once they see the Drs note no problem.

We carry it all together because we don’t want them to have s reason to open the checked luggage which happened a time or two when we placed containers in the checked luggage.

Middle East and Indonesia are even worse....