No more prime rib?

kevin1551

11 hours ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

Makes sense.  We make steaks pretty regularly, Costco sells prime ribeyes for about $20/lb and American wagyu for about $28/lb.  We put on a thick coat of one our favorite spice rubs, vacuum seal it for three days, sous vide it, then put it in a pan to butter baste it.  We call it a “99%er” or a steak that’s better than 99% of the steaks we’ve had

Great tip!!  Thanks

53 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

I have high expectations and I am looking at Azamara as well.

I looked into Azamara too but I do not like their itineraries for South America and New England/Canada compared to Oceania. Viking Ocean just released their 2024 and 25 South America and New England/Canada itineraries and they also are not as good as Oceania. I also have a huge problem with pre-paying for a $15K plus cruise 12 months in advance like VO requires. So, it looks like we keep our booking on Oceania Marina for Jan 2025 and we will book our New England cruise soon with them too. Our formula for now is #1 the Itinerary and then #2 the cruise line and product and then #3 the price of comparable cabins.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cruzinforpeace*** said:

The issue is being sold something different than you originally bought; it’s deceptive advertising and frankly unethical. They are literally stealing from their guests.  How would you feel if a car dealership told you you were getting the top of the line, loaded model of your car and then when they delivered it to you it was the bare bones model but still the high price?  Celebrity should allow an “out” for those close to cruising at this moment.  No penalty cancellation.

I guarantee you if this keeps up the vast majority of mass market cruise lines will be“done”.  Only luxury liners for the very wealthy will continue to float.   Enjoy these last days of “modern luxury”.

Oh come off it. Of course its not 'stealing' and unethical. 

Cancel your cruise with zero penalty and a days notice because they're serving tilapia and a different cut of beef?! Oh and your car purchase comparison is way off. If you can find in your cruise contract (or actually any marketing put out by Celebrity) which promises prime rib in the mdr or promises not to serve tilapia then maybe you'd have a point. But obviously the cruise contract does not state that. 

The vast majority of people won't care about or even notice the minor changes being introduced or won't be affected by them. 

Any realistic suggestions for Celebrity to try or is your only solution to have an even more generous cancellation policy than they had for covid?! Because of a steak. 

Finally, I can guarantee you if all the cruise lines do not make cuts then they will be "done" and I also guarantee that the vast majority of passengers (less than 1% of cruisers probably post on here, I take a lot of complaints with a pinch of salt) won't take into account what cuts of beef are served in one of the restaurants (or how one type of fish is farmed) when deciding whether to book a cruise or not. I absolutely guarantee that. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, OysterD said:

Cancel your cruise with zero penalty and a days notice because they're serving tilapia and a different cut of beef?! Oh and your car purchase comparison is way off. If you can find in your cruise contract (or actually any marketing put out by Celebrity) which promises prime rib in the mdr or promises not to serve tilapia then maybe you'd have a point. But obviously the cruise contract does not state that. 

The vast majority of people won't care about or even notice the minor changes being introduced or won't be affected by them. 

Any realistic suggestions for Celebrity to try or is your only solution to have an even more generous cancellation policy than they had for covid?! Because of a steak. 

Finally, I can guarantee you if all the cruise lines do not make cuts then they will be "done" and I also guarantee that the vast majority of passengers (less than 1% of cruisers probably post on here, I take a lot of complaints with a pinch of salt) won't take into account what cuts of beef are served in one of the restaurants (or how one type of fish is farmed) when deciding whether to book a cruise or not. I absolutely guarantee that. 

Are you working for the Celebrity head office?

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Ipeeinthepools said:

Where are you going on Azamara?

Not decided yet.  We are looking at either a 9 night all Spain itin or a 9 night Med.  We are doing our first Oceania in May 7 nights Med and the Azamara includes a few of the ports on the O cruise but also has several places we really like that we have not yet been to.  I remember you advising me oh many many Covid months ago to consider and seriously look at Azamara.  Like O, when compare to current Celebrity prices, makes it a no brainer.  

13 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

Not decided yet.  We are looking at either a 9 night all Spain itin or a 9 night Med.  We are doing our first Oceania in May 7 nights Med and the Azamara includes a few of the ports on the O cruise but also has several places we really like that we have not yet been to.  I remember you advising me oh many many Covid months ago to consider and seriously look at Azamara.  Like O, when compare to current Celebrity prices, makes it a no brainer.  

I know from several years of our posting on CC that your taste for a cruise is very similar to mine so I can't wait to hear how you like or dislike the Oceania cruise in May.

Edited by terrydtx
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, OysterD said:

"less than 1% of cruisers probably post on here"

More like 0.001%.  Be that as it may, over the years cutbacks to the experience have happened to keep fares low.  In fact, I think it fair to say I pay less for a cruise today than I did 20 years ago.   It is certainly less in 2020 dollars.   I think what I am beginning to feel is that the current cutbacks are starting to take things too far.  I would rather see passenger fares raised to keep the experience at least as it was pre-COVID.   I just don't know that the cruise lines are able to realistically do that or that we would realistically be able to afford the needed price increases.

I like Celebrity a lot.  Have not been on one of their cruises since pre-covid.  Reading about all of the negatives on this forum is depressing.  

Edited by ldubs

3 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

I know from several years of our posting on CC that your taste for a cruise is very similar to mine so I can't wait to hear how you like or dislike the Oceania cruise in May.

We are really looking forward to it.  I will say though, it is called the Founders Cruise, and I did not know when I booked it, that meant the Oceania founder, Frank del Rio will be on board for the entire cruise.  I'm sure that will have a big impact on the level of the cruise.  But as I said, had no idea of that at the time of booking so was obviously excited to try Oceania and really look forward to it.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, terrydtx said:

This is why I do not ever eat Tilapia, and why I will not eat farm raised shrimp, especially if they are from Indonesia. Most farm raised shrimp comes from Indonesia and there have been reports many of the shrimp farms feed them with human and animal excrement. China supplies most of the frozen Tilapia sold in the world but here in the US much of the fresh Tilapia sold in markets comes from Costa Rica and is farmed safer, but I still won't eat it.

You must hate farm products after all the cow manure and liquid pig manure that gets sprayed on our fields

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, retird said:

You must hate farm products after all the cow manure and liquid pig manure that gets sprayed on our fields

and lobsters, they crawl at the bottom of the ocean for a reason...though perhaps that is why they are so dang tasty!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

My concern isn't that Celebrity seems to be cheapening it's product in an apparent attempt to save money, adding on charges for things that were previously free, etc.  My concern is that they doing it in a way that impacts cruises taking place after final payment was due.  That is bait and switch.  It is a bad look for Celebrity.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, ldubs said:

"less than 1% of cruisers probably post on here"

More like 0.001%.  Be that as it may, over the years cutbacks to the experience have happened to keep fares low.  In fact, I think it fair to say I pay less for a cruise today than I did 20 years ago.   It is certainly less in 2020 dollars.   I think what I am beginning to feel is that the current cutbacks are starting to take things too far.  I would rather see passenger fares raised to keep the experience at least as it was pre-COVID.   I just don't know that the cruise lines are able to realistically do that or that we would realistically be able to afford the needed price increases.

I like Celebrity a lot.  Have not been on one of their cruises since pre-covid.  Reading about all of the negatives on this forum is depressing.  

I meant 2002 dollars <sigh>

45 minutes ago, Salt Lifer said:

My concern isn't that Celebrity seems to be cheapening it's product in an apparent attempt to save money, adding on charges for things that were previously free, etc.  My concern is that they doing it in a way that impacts cruises taking place after final payment was due.  That is bait and switch.  It is a bad look for Celebrity.

Exactly!!!

55 minutes ago, Salt Lifer said:

Fees are one thing as new/increased fees were inevitably going happen but the cheapening of things, mainly the food, is extremely disappointing

• Like 1

I got off Solstice this morning, I didn't even realize prime rib was gone. But then I stopped eating in the MDR after the first evening, when the waiter begged me for a 10 rating on my survey. Instead, I went to the sushi restaurant and had a different roll or ramen every evening with the charming ladies there, and grazed at the buffet--their fresh pasta station is better than the cold, stale pasta in the MDR, and their salad station offers more variety. At least it wasn't as shocking as HAL last month not serving lobster at all, nor the creme brûlée that I used to love. I tried to get creme brûlée delivered on Solstice from the MDR, but got the 'that will be $10', since evidently with 1100 crew and 940 pax, they just couldn't find anyone to deliver (next time I'll go to the MDR every night and sit down to order creme brûlée). Fortunately, there is still choice, so on my Princess cruise next week I know I can get food delivered anywhere on the ship for free, I'll get prime rib presumably, a full evening buffet, and really fine desserts. I just can't wait for the outcry when all the lines start rationing eggs. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Cruzinforpeace*** said:

deceptive advertising and frankly unethical. They are literally stealing from their guests.  How would you feel if a car dealership told you you were getting the top of the line, loaded model of your car and then when they delivered it to you it was the bare bones model but still the high price?  Celebrity should allow an “out” for those close to cruising at this moment.  No penalty cancellation.

This! Do not force the changes on cruisers after their payment. Either announce the changes and install them 4 or so months later, or given cruisers who have paid their final payments in good faith of the product advertised the option to cancel for full refund if cancelling. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TravelingCircusof5 said:

This! Do not force the changes on cruisers after their payment. Either announce the changes and install them 4 or so months later, or given cruisers who have paid their final payments in good faith of the product advertised the option to cancel for full refund if cancelling. 

Can you provide a link to the specific sections of Celebrity’s cruise contract showing where they are legally bound to provide prime rib? Also I’d love to see the  Celebrity advertisements saying “cruise with us, we have prime rib” that they have have gone against.  

That being said, I too will be missing some of the “better” cuts. I hope they don’t take the 4oz filet from Luminae as it’s my go to backup.  

Edited by dcbiker97
  • Like 2