Dancing on Holland America

ddpe

Hi Everyone,  

Husband and I enjoy dancing in the evening - anything from salsa, foxtrot, hustle, swing, cha-cha, etc.  Are there any opportunities for this in the evening - not 10 pm on when it is always basically, yes, a good time for those having quite a few, but impossible to really dance time.  What kind of music?  For instance, many places have one or two entertainers or a small dance band and floor from 6:30 on.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, ddpe said:

Hi Everyone,  

Husband and I enjoy dancing in the evening - anything from salsa, foxtrot, hustle, swing, cha-cha, etc.  Are there any opportunities for this in the evening - not 10 pm on when it is always basically, yes, a good time for those having quite a few, but impossible to really dance time.  What kind of music?  For instance, many places have one or two entertainers or a small dance band and floor from 6:30 on.

Check the daily schedules. 

Remember the ocean bar at happy hour? Some pretty fancy dancers in there with the trio band. 

Of course, gone now, but it was fun when some people got all jazzed up and danced up a storm.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, albingirl said:

Remember the ocean bar at happy hour? Some pretty fancy dancers in there with the trio band. 

Of course, gone now, but it was fun when some people got all jazzed up and danced up a storm.

We really enjoyed sitting there, dancing some, listening to music and watching, before dinner.

2 hours ago, albingirl said:

We fondly remember those days when HAL had some decent bands.  In those days HAL also had "dance hosts" who got free cruises in return for dancing with the ladies.

Hank

• Thanks 1

There was a very good band in the Ocean Bar for most nights on the Nieuw Amsterdam Panama Canal cruise in October 2022.  They played 2-3 sets from late afternoon until 10-ish.  Quite a few dancers and listeners enjoyed it.

~Nancy

43 minutes ago, oakridger said:

There was a very good band in the Ocean Bar for most nights on the Nieuw Amsterdam Panama Canal cruise in October 2022.  They played 2-3 sets from late afternoon until 10-ish.  Quite a few dancers and listeners enjoyed it.

~Nancy

Same on Zaandam August 2022. Some of them also performed on World Stage with Step One. 

• Thanks 1

Since the subject was Dancing on Holland America I know that the Rotterdam and Nieuw Statendam have ballroom dancing in the evenings around 7pm in the BB Kings Lounge, for an hour, just before BB Kings start playing.

Quite a few couples enjoy dancing there.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, 2LoveBikes said:

Since the subject was Dancing on Holland America I know that the Rotterdam and Nieuw Statendam have ballroom dancing in the evenings around 7pm in the BB Kings Lounge, for an hour, just before BB Kings start playing.

Quite a few couples enjoy dancing there.

Good to know

I love to dance, too, and I had a blast on the Eurodam in Dec-Jan! I'm 39F, admittedly much younger than the average demographic on the ship. But that didn't bother me one bit! While I frequented Billboard on Board the most to sing along with Eli and Krista (they were fantastic), I also enjoyed grooving on the dance floor to B.B. Kings in the evenings. They had excellent performers and kept the energy high. They did have earlier sets (8 or 9pm), but a lot of times the dance hits were playing past 10pm. I am an early to bed girl normally, but I did stay up later than usual during the cruise to enjoy some dancing. And if a 90 year old woman could do it every night (she was amazing!) then so could I! 😅

Annie had some line dancing lessons which were really fun. Check your daily program for meeting times and locations. Like you, I also love Latin dancing but did not find anything onboard. 

Don't forget to bring orange for the orange party!! Fun dancing and Dutch treats! I may have gone a bit "overboard" (thankfully not in the send-a-search-party kind of way), but it's so much fun to get into a theme!! 

Have loads of fun!!!

image.png.1474300f98f9640da2ec2362793a7bfc.png

• Like 4

On 1/17/2023 at 9:04 PM, Melly4Tea said:

I love to dance, too, and I had a blast on the Eurodam in Dec-Jan! I'm 39F, admittedly much younger than the average demographic on the ship. But that didn't bother me one bit! While I frequented Billboard on Board the most to sing along with Eli and Krista (they were fantastic), I also enjoyed grooving on the dance floor to B.B. Kings in the evenings. They had excellent performers and kept the energy high. They did have earlier sets (8 or 9pm), but a lot of times the dance hits were playing past 10pm. I am an early to bed girl normally, but I did stay up later than usual during the cruise to enjoy some dancing. And if a 90 year old woman could do it every night (she was amazing!) then so could I! 😅

Annie had some line dancing lessons which were really fun. Check your daily program for meeting times and locations. Like you, I also love Latin dancing but did not find anything onboard. 

Don't forget to bring orange for the orange party!! Fun dancing and Dutch treats! I may have gone a bit "overboard" (thankfully not in the send-a-search-party kind of way), but it's so much fun to get into a theme!! 

Have loads of fun!!!

image.png.1474300f98f9640da2ec2362793a7bfc.png

My husband & I are big dancers --- albeit we've finally arrived at the HAL "normal 70-80" passenger.

But we still dance.

I believe when a person REALLY loves to dance - they'll find a way.

We are BIG TIME Country Western Dancers.

We could always improvise our Country Western Dance to fit Ballroom music, Salsa, Blues, Rock - you name it.

Once we were on a HAL cruise while still in our late 40s.  There was music at the pool & we were dance starved.  So we kicked up heels and danced to the Piped music at the pool.

I think the "Ole Geezers" got a kick out of it.  

So don't be afraid to DANCE!!

To me -HAL is currently undergoing some changes in their Music Venues.

Seems if you are on a Grand Voyage or longer there are many more additional choices of Live bands on these longer cruises with live bands playing in the various Bars - not just on their BillBoard Walk.

BUT you will always have a dance band playing in their Rollingstone Lounge (HAL is in process of converting their BB King Lounge to Rollingstone.  But don't let the change in name fool you - they still play a good variety of music - not just hard rock.  To me the name change is merely a marketing tool to Update the Name to attract some of the younger crowd who grew up with the Rollingstones.)

Happy Dancing!

Oops --- I meant Happy Cruising!

Edited by CruisingGrandmaW
correct grammar
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, CruisingGrandmaW said:

To me the name change is merely a marketing tool to Update the Name to attract some of the younger crowd who grew up with the Rollingstones.)

Actually, it's 'Rolling Stone' (no 's') as it is affiliated with Rolling Stone Magazine.