Boarding in Auckland

Colin_Cameron

We're boarding Cunard's Queen Victoria in Auckland in Feb '24. I'd assumed this would be at Prince's Wharf as that's where we docked in 2020 but I note that all Cunard's calls this year are at Queens Wharf, so next year, who knows.

My question is really about luggage drop off. If our accommodation is very close (possibly at Prince's Wharf) I'm guessing taxis won't be interested so we'll be walking. The distance isn't a problem but manhandling everything at one time might be. Has anyone dropped off some cases then gone back for the rest? It's easy at other ports but I don't know the setup at Shed 10.

TIA Colin.

17 hours ago, Colin_Cameron said:

We're boarding Cunard's Queen Victoria in Auckland in Feb '24. I'd assumed this would be at Prince's Wharf as that's where we docked in 2020 but I note that all Cunard's calls this year are at Queens Wharf, so next year, who knows.

My question is really about luggage drop off. If our accommodation is very close (possibly at Prince's Wharf) I'm guessing taxis won't be interested so we'll be walking. The distance isn't a problem but manhandling everything at one time might be. Has anyone dropped off some cases then gone back for the rest? It's easy at other ports but I don't know the setup at Shed 10.

TIA Colin.

yes you will be fine and if you are at the Hilton I would be surprised if the concierge won't help you with one of the spare bell boys. Its a great hotel and they are very helpful.\

Failing that that it would be easy to drop them off yourself and walk back for the second dlelivery.

Hopefully boarding then as well but it will be a walk down the hill for me.

• Like 1

Hi Roscoe,

The Hilton was our first thought but I see there's lots of apartments available on Prince's Wharf. 

I was hoping I might pick your brains about the first part of this trip (3+ weeks around North and South Islands, followed by 4+ weeks in the West Island)? Could you drop me a note to colin (dot) inv (dot) cameron (at) btinternet (dot) com

Looking forward to finally meeting up. Colin.

18 hours ago, Colin_Cameron said:

Hi Roscoe,

The Hilton was our first thought but I see there's lots of apartments available on Prince's Wharf. 

I was hoping I might pick your brains about the first part of this trip (3+ weeks around North and South Islands, followed by 4+ weeks in the West Island)? Could you drop me a note to colin (dot) inv (dot) cameron (at) btinternet (dot) com

done!

and to anyone else interested, there are two ships in Auckland that day, the Regatta and the QV which means the Regatta being the smaller ship will be at Princess and the Best Queen on the Seas (QV) will be at Queens wharf which is only few minutes walk away

Edited by roscoe39

Hi Colin. Ill give you a brief summary of how we organised 4 weeks in NZ (south followed by north island) then boarded P and O Arcadia for half RWC return to the UK.  One of the best things we did was to send our suitcase of cruise clothes and formal wear  unaccompanied on Arcadia when she left Southampton. so there were all our fresh smart clothes waiting for us in our cabin when we boarded in Auckland. 

We rented a motorhome for the South Island (we have a motorhome in UK so best option for us). Dropping it in Christchurch, we did a repositioning hire with a car hire firm, you only pay for the fuel and insurance, the hire is free, to get to Picton.  So our fares on the ferry were as foot passengers. Picked up another hire car  in Wellington for our week in the North Island, one way hire dropped off in downtown Auckland. We did 3 nights pre cruise in Auckland and rented an apartment with a washing machine so that all travel stained clothes were clean before boarding. apartment was only 5 mins walk from the dock, but we did get a taxi to take us. Hope these practical tips help your planning. If you d like more info on intinerary/best bits/ bits not to bother with, let me know .

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/17/2023 at 9:02 PM, Colin_Cameron said:

Hi Roscoe,

The apartments on Princes Wharf operated by Auckland Waterfront Serviced Apartments are great but I think they require a three night stay minimum. We've stayed there a couple of times. Perfect for if the ship is leaving from Princes Wharf - those apartments are opposite the Hilton so you have a very short walk. It's a longer walk to Queens Wharf though.

Some of the other apartments on Princes Wharf are effectively AirBNBs with extra cleaning charges etc. 

• 11 months later...
On 1/29/2024 at 6:38 AM, worldtraveller said:

We plan to stay at the JW Marriott. Is that too close to get a taxi to the port?

We just had some friends staying there prior to a Windstar cruise.  I think their plan was to roll their suitcases the few blocks down Queen Street.  If you are not up to that, you could always try an Uber.  I don't think they get quite so grumpy about short trips.