Price discrepancy on Royal's website

We just tried to make a booking online (6 nt cruise in a Junior Suite for 3 adults and 1 child) as we have done  with all our cruises. We are diamond members so cruising is not new to us. Our daughter works for Celebrity so we have a friends and family discount (20% off) to add to it. It was also giving us the flash sale instant savings and 30% off special. Here is the math and it most definitely does not add up.

Cruise Fare $12,832.00

Employee F&F discount $- 2,422.00

Flash Sale Instant Savings $-850.00

30% off ever cruise $-7,206.00

Subtotal $2,354.00

Taxes & Fees $525.88

The total price that it then shows at the bottom of the screen is $5,167.88

We spent a total of 2 hours on the phone with Royal and escalated up to the resolution department and yet we are still being told that yes, there is a glitch in their system, and NO they will not honor it. I know I have read on here where people have had great deals on drink packages and even cruise fares because of glitches in the system so obviously they do honor it and maybe it just depends on who you talk to??? Someone please tell me how we go about getting them to honor it. Celebrity would honor it (verified this with my daughter who works for them). Does anyone know of anyone in particular they suggest that we speak with on this? The guy in resolution that we spoke with put it on a 4 day courtesy hold for us and said we should expect a call back from some one higher up then him in the next 48 hours. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Just now, 1interpreter said:

We just tried to make a booking online (6 nt cruise in a Junior Suite for 3 adults and 1 child) as we have done  with all our cruises. We are diamond members so cruising is not new to us. Our daughter works for Celebrity so we have a friends and family discount (20% off) to add to it. It was also giving us the flash sale instant savings and 30% off special. Here is the math and it most definitely does not add up.

Cruise Fare $12,832.00

Subtotal $2,354.00

Taxes & Fees $525.88

We spent a total of 2 hours on the phone with Royal and escalated up to the resolution department and yet we are still being told that yes, there is a glitch in their system, and NO they will not honor it. I know I have read on here where people have had great deals on drink packages and even cruise fares because of glitches in the system so obviously they do honor it and maybe it just depends on who you talk to??? Someone please tell me how we go about getting them to honor it. Celebrity would honor it (verified this with my daughter who works for them). Does anyone know of anyone in particular they suggest that we speak with on this? The guy in resolution that we spoke with put it on a 4 day courtesy hold for us and said we should expect a call back from some one higher up then him in the next 48 hours. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

They won't honor it its sn obvious error as 30% of 12k is not over $7000

• Like 6

The math is wrong all over the place. 

This Drink Package Glitch was Site wide for 6 hours... Which when first announced they were NOT going to honor it.
I have never heard of any cruise fare glitch, but doesn't mean there hasn't been any. 
Your best bet is wait for them to call you back... 

No consideration ($$) changed hands. RCI and the customer agree that something is amiss in the calculations.

Whatever price becomes the real price will require a deposit or purchase. Until then, RCI is not obligated to sell the room for that advertised price.

As another poster stated, be careful of throwing names and connections that are promising you additional discounts. Obviously, after this first phone call, that tactic did not work out.

You have control of the decision to purchase. RCI controls the price.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

They won't honor it its sn obvious error as 30% of 12k is not over $7000

It only starts to make sense if one uses the true 30% number of the $12,832 which is $3,849.60 

Plugging that number in the 30% slot brings the Total price including tax to $6236.28.

Someone put in a wrong formula into the spreadsheet that subtracted 30% from the original price as the presented view instead of multiplying the original price by 30% as the presented view.

This happens all the time when programing EXCEL spreadsheets and SQL databases.🤔

Edited by Engineroom Snipe
clarification
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Engineroom Snipe said:

It only starts to make sense if one uses the true 30% number of the $12,832 which is $3,849.60 

Plugging that number in the 30% slot brings the Total price including tax to $6236.28.

Someone put in a wrong formula into the spreadsheet that subtracted 30% from the original price as the presented view instead of multiplying the original price by 30% as the presented view.

This happens all the time when programing EXCEL spreadsheets and SQL databases.🤔

@OurusualbeachFollow up. It IS weird the 30% discount number shown is actually 56% of the price.  WOW, the whole thing makes no sense to me now. That is one messed up file or spreadsheet.

2 hours ago, Sianli said:

I would be careful with Friends and Family discount complaints since the employee who gives the discount can lose that benefit.

It's not a complaint specifically on the F&F discount. It's a complaint about the math in general not adding up right. The 30% off every cruise isn't correct, and the amount for the flash sale isn't either. There obviously was a glitch or something last night because the something happened when we checked another sailing as well. This does not effect my daughter at all.

2 hours ago, Sianli said:

I would be careful with Friends and Family discount complaints since the employee who gives the discount can lose that benefit.

Let me see if I understand…everyone (including you) agrees there are obvious math errors resulting in an erroneous subtotal line.  The total price in bold at the bottom of the screen is is higher, and that is the price you would have had to agree to pay to actually reserve the cabin.  The online system did not allow you to reserve the cabin at the  erroneous subtotal price; it wanted the correct price.  You are now escalating the situation (not to help the company fix their math, like “friends and family” might) but trying to knowingly obtain an erroneous low price which will hurt the company.  Is that about right????

Note this is not the same as mis-priced beverage package being placed in cart at wrong price and sold at wrong price.  If I understand correctly, the bottom line price of your cruise is correct and you are trying to change the price to the incorrect one before your purchase it.   Be careful…companies do not need “friends and family” that do things like that.

Edited by Starry Eyes
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, 1interpreter said:

Cruise Fare $12,832.00

Subtotal $2,354.00

Taxes & Fees $525.88

Celebrity would not honor this. There is a current situation where guests booked certain cruises and the price was incorrect (underpriced). Celebrity has now contacted those guests and gave them the option of repricing the cruise at the higher price or cancel and receive a refund. If this is a known error and you’re trying to take advantage of it then that’s wrong. Do the right thing.

Guest phd1003

Question - Did you have multiple windows opened for the same cruise with different staterooms and categories? I was doing a mock booking on in one window I had a 2br ATS and the other a Jr. Suite. Got side tracked for about 10 minutes before going back to it and discuss with my wife and when we advanced to screen it actually had the 2br ATS for $5500 (obviously a typo) what happened was even though we were looking at the 2br ATS it priced the Jr. Suite. It corrected itself when we tried to book at that incredible price.

16 minutes ago, ChC said:

OP could you double check the quoted $12,000 cruise fare is PER PERSON or PER CABIN?

Because if the fare is per person based on double occupancy then the 30% off cruise fare discount and the final total makes almost-perfect sense.

I was thinking the same thing but there would be 3 adults even if on a "children sale free" cruise.

The taxes seem right for four people (all passengers subject to taxes).

I have not sailed in suites. What would the normal pricing structure be for three adults versus two in one cabin? I know they charge less per adult but the total room cost can be 35% more compared to two adults.

1 hour ago, Engineroom Snipe said:

I was thinking the same thing but there would be 3 adults even if on a "children sale free" cruise.

The taxes seem right for four people (all passengers subject to taxes).

I have not sailed in suites. What would the normal pricing structure be for three adults versus two in one cabin? I know they charge less per adult but the total room cost can be 35% more compared to two adults.

Remember it's a junior suite and the gross numbers seems in the range.  Assuming we assign the $800+ cost to the child then the average per adult is $4K per.  Also, we don't know the child's age or ship.

To your other question the 30%. I've never seen it be exactly 30% off but usually it's somewhere in the mid 30% off and a few times close to 40%

Then there's the 60% off the 2nd Pax promo which I haven't seen in some time.  Therefore, the question (assume 2 adults) what the difference between 30% each Pax vs. 60% off 2nd.  Royal math.😂

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ChC said:

Depends on the cruise itinerary, a typical 3rd person charge for a Junior suite range between $399-1099 (figuratively speaking from my experience, could be higher or lower). Basically, if they want sale, the 3rd person is lower, if they don't feel the pressure, the 3rd person charge would be almost close to the per person charge for the first 2 adults but few hundred dollars lower. However, the 3rd person normally do not participate in any promotional discount, so on rare occasion the third person charge could be almost the same of the first 2 adults per person fare after discount. That being said,  there were very rare occasions 3rd person pays close to nothing. So it matters when you get your full invoice you can find it out when RCL provides a per person charge in the booking confirmation file. 

If the Op broke down the costs by guest, we may be able to provide some further analysis and answers.