Fruit Shipments?

Daniel A

I am planning to have some time in Hawaii next month.  I would like to send some fruit baskets home to the mainland if possible.  Does anybody know if there are vendors in Hawaii that will send fruit packages to the States?

9 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

I would like to send some fruit baskets home to the mainland if possible.  Does anybody know if there are vendors in Hawaii that will send fruit packages to the States?

Things are fairly limited in what you can send back to the mainland-- most fresh fruit and flowers are restricted or banned from being sent back to the mainland. I know you can send fresh pineapples but most of the other things have to be dried etc. Below is the USDA site that overviews everything. 

You will have to go through an additional agricultural screening on the way home where they will scan your bags for prohibited fruit so also not worth trying to put it in your suitcase. 

https://www.aphis.usda.gov/aphis/resources/traveler/hawaii/hawaiian_products

• Like 1

1 hour ago, princeton123211 said:

Things are fairly limited in what you can send back to the mainland-- most fresh fruit and flowers are restricted or banned from being sent back to the mainland. I know you can send fresh pineapples but most of the other things have to be dried etc. Below is the USDA site that overviews everything. 

You will have to go through an additional agricultural screening on the way home where they will scan your bags for prohibited fruit so also not worth trying to put it in your suitcase. 

https://www.aphis.usda.gov/aphis/resources/traveler/hawaii/hawaiian_products

Not a worry, I would just want to ship them from Hawaii to New York at the start of a South Pacific cruise.  Thank you.

11 hours ago, Silver Sweethearts said:

Rather than sending fruit, consider sending coffee- such as 100% Kona Coffee.  As you probably know, it is some of the finest coffee in the world.  It should be easier to send than fruit and should literally warm up your family and friends in New York.  

I think I just got my answer.  I'm booked on a Kona coffee plantation excursion, so maybe they'll have a gift shop where I could send some Kona Coffee.  Thanks for all the advice, especially regarding the USDA rules - I had no idea that the USDA bans shipments of produce across state lines.  🙄

49 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

I think I just got my answer.  I'm booked on a Kona coffee plantation excursion, so maybe they'll have a gift shop where I could send some Kona Coffee.  Thanks for all the advice, especially regarding the USDA rules - I had no idea that the USDA bans shipments of produce across state lines.  🙄

The "across state lines" issue is much more complex in this case, as opposed to shipping fruit or vegetables from New York to an adjoining state. Hawaii, being an island 2500 miles from the rest of the US, is an entirely different ecosystem, with much different problems. Nobody wants pests and problems from Hawaii arriving on the mainland, or vice versa.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Daniel A said:

I had no idea that the USDA bans shipments of produce across state lines.  🙄

Bruce beat me to it but this is a specific to Hawaii issue-- they want to keep critters and disease that only exist on the mainland or Hawaii in their respective corners. 

You can however ship fresh pineapple from Hawaii to the Mainland and there are many places that do it and the packaging is all quite nice from a gift perspective-- so not all is lost. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, princeton123211 said:

Bruce beat me to it but this is a specific to Hawaii issue-- they want to keep critters and disease that only exist on the mainland or Hawaii in their respective corners. 

You can however ship fresh pineapple from Hawaii to the Mainland and there are many places that do it and the packaging is all quite nice from a gift perspective-- so not all is lost. 

Where would I find a gift package shipper?

17 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

Where would I find a gift package shipper?

The Pineapples are fairly easy to find-- you can go to the farms like Maui Gold on Maui or the Dole Plantation on Oahu but they are also available in most nicer hotel gift shops and the like. Not hard to find. 

You can also just order them from online from 

Dole Fruit Hawaii: https://www.dolefruithawaii.com/collections/fresh-fruit/products/dole®-royal-hawaiian®-tropical-gold-pineapples

or Maui Gold: https://mauipineapplestore.com/one-time-pineapple-shipment-includes-shipping/

• Thanks 1