Mont Saint Michel vs. Normandy Tour

Jamietravelstheworld

Will have a cruise stop in Le Havre in July and trying to decide between Mont Saint Michel and Normandy tours. Both tours involve a lot of bus time and a lot of walking, so can't use either of those as deciding factor. If you've done both or have a strong opinion, which would you recommend? Mont Saint Michel appears to be stunning, but I am concerned about the physical stamina required to really see it. I like WW II history but don't have a strong personal connection to it so am not sure how interesting I'll find it. Or is there something else you'd recommend? (Don't want to go to Paris, too far for a day.)

From Le Havre, popular tours are to Honfleur, Rouen and others such as the Alabaster Coast.  We have visited all 3 on different visits and used public buses, (Alabaster Coast) trains(Rouen) and shared taxi one way to Honfleur, public bus back. 

You don't say if this will be your first visit or not, but for a first visit, most popular is probably Honfleur.  It is also the easiest.  Using the CC SEARCH option will bring up many many previous threads about Le Havre and Honfleur for you to read, but also check online sites for images etc and your Roll Call to see if others have arranged private tours to any of the above mentioned or to any other destinations which would not involve as much time in either a bus or walking.

MSM is 2hrs 30 mins from Le Havre whereas the nearest US D-Day sights are well under 2 hrs. Yes, add short hops between D-Day sights - but that's not the same as a long drive with bum-on-seat.

If there's a stop en-route to MSM it'll only be a comfort stop,  the route is pretty boring. 

But the drive to Omaha takes you past the UK and Canadian sectors and hopefully parts of the coastline, so you can see the extent of most of the operation - hopefully your guide can give you the background as you pass, it might also include a brief stop at one.

There's no walking of any distance on the D-Day tours and it's all on level ground,

But as you're aware the long climb up thro the mazy street to the top of MSM is quite arduous, even with watering holes on the way.  We've visited twice in our younger days and never made it to the abbey at the top.

And whereas cars & tour buses used to drive along the isthmus to MSM and park in its shadow, they now have to park on the mainland and visitors are ferried by shuttle-buses. 

I'd rate the D-Day excursion significantly easier, more varied, more interesting, and rather humbling.

And the America cemetery is bound to at least bring a lump to your throat, mebbe a tear to your eye.

Edinburgher mentioned Honfleur - this is a quaint fishing / tourist village at the estuary of the Seine, almost opposite Le Havre and only a 20 - 25 minute drive from your ship. Some cruisers are content to spend a lazy and inexpensive day there.

It's at the end of the itineraries of some of both the D-Day and MSM tours - wisely included so that if the tour is delayed  the time there can be trimmed, or that stop can even be skipped.

JB 🙂

• Like 1

We spent 10 days in Normandy on a land trip and traveled to all the places mentioned. We loved visiting the WWII landing beaches and related sites, but if that has no special appeal for you, it can be a long day. MSM is magnificent but, as mentioned, it’s an even longer drive from Le Havre and a very strenuous climb. Rouen is an interesting city and a visit there can probably be combined with a stop in Honfleur.

3 hours ago, NYAS said:

We spent 10 days in Normandy on a land trip and traveled to all the places mentioned. We loved visiting the WWII landing beaches and related sites, but if that has no special appeal for you, it can be a long day. MSM is magnificent but, as mentioned, it’s an even longer drive from Le Havre and a very strenuous climb. Rouen is an interesting city and a visit there can probably be combined with a stop in Honfleur.

Rouen is a very easy DIY trip since there are good rail connections between Le Harve and Rouen.  The train ride is less than an hour and used to cost no more than 5 Euros.  I agree that Rouen is a decent option from Le Havre...especially for folks that enjoy exploring a relatively large city.

all good advice above. another reason to give Mont St M a miss is that it gets really overbusy and crowded. our last visit was in shoulder time ie mid May and we walked over from the campsite early and got there for coffee.  by lunchtime the place was too busy for comfort.  maybe you can go another time from Cherbourg cruise call which is a shorter journey. 

We think Honfleur is lovely, though also busy. the tourist office provided a good self guided walking tour leaflet. and the seafood is to die for. 

• 1 month later...

Same, was in Northern France this past May.  MSM is beautiful, but we got there before even all the shops were open, went straight up to the Abbey, then left.  By the time we got back to the car, there were 100's of people in line for the bus.  Way too many people for my taste, and this was not full tourist season. The single road up to the Abbey is narrow and steep, so no way to avoid people.

I'm not a big WW2 buff, but I did really like our D-Day tour.  I hadn't really known the full scope of D-Day and the Normandy invasion in terms of actual mileage and time frame, plans and contingency plans, or the massive loss of life.  Reading about it in high school is not at all the same thing as seeing it in front of you.  I definitely think it was worth the time, and as mentioned, it's a much less physically demanding tour.

We have been to both on a land tour and visiting Juno Beach as a Canadian was humbling and so glad we went (used Overlord Tours) to understand the magnitude of the invasion and bravery from all involved countries.  Mont St. Michel is stunning though agree more physically taxing but felt it was one of our not to be missed sights. Have been to Rouen and Honfleur which are both nice. Difficult decision.

Having been to both, I agree with @CoralNormandy is incredibly important part of history and even without a personal connection to WW2, it is a powerful and humbling testament to the bravery of thousand of allied soldiers.  I highly encourage it.   MSM, while beautiful, would not be my choice if I only had one day. 

• Like 1

I was recently talking about this subject elsewhere on the blog.  Having driven to both MSM and Paris (a few times) I decided to check on Via Michelin for their estimated driving times.  From Le Havre to MSM comes in at 3:08 each way (this is because much of the route is on slow 2 lane roads).  The drive from Le Havre to the 1st Arrondisement in Paris is only a little over 2 hours (although traffic can turn this into a 2 1/2 hour drive.

We have been to MSM (twice) and once stayed within site of the town.  I would be hard pressed to recommend folks spent over 6 hours in a bus just to see MSM.

Hank

• Like 1

I did MSM (with an overnight) and Normandy shortly after the 70th anniversary of D-Day. 

MSM is during the day always packed with visitors and not really a nice experience.

I would recommend the Normandy Beaches and Sights, which I did within 4 days and I have not seen everything, but they will pick out the most amazing sights, probably Omaha Beach, the American Cemetery, and some more places

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/17/2023 at 10:35 PM, Jamietravelstheworld said:

I like WW II history but don't have a strong personal connection to it so am not sure how interesting I'll find it.

Perhaps you'll allow me to tell you what your personal connection to Normandy is. It's the reason we're typing these messages in English rather than German.

I'd stop by and say "Thank You." MSM involves walking up 10 stories just to get to the base of the church.

• Thanks 1