Food and dining on P&O ships

Tablelamp

27 minutes ago, tring said:

Just to add that on Aurora you had 15 minutes to go to the restaurant after being called on the app, so do not need to keep looking at it all the time or rush off the minute you are called.  We usually joined the queue, left the phone on the bed and went out onto the balcony with drinks, popping in to check every so often. The app gave you the number of people ahead of you in the queue, so it was easy to track what was happening and estimate how long until you will be called.  You may have to refresh the page, but not a problem.  

Just a case of getting used to it and you soon learn how long you will be in the queue at various times and queue lengths, so can join it at the best time.

Thanks for this, can you request a specific table when it becomes available I wonder

24 minutes ago, Port out said:

Thanks for this, can you request a specific table when it becomes available I wonder

You can select the size of table when you join the queue on the app,.  We chose a table for two all the time as we were concerned sharing could leave us more likely to catch covid and be, "jailed".  On arrival we would be taken to a table, but sometimes we did make specific requests about table location at the desk or asked if we could sit somewhere else if we were not too happy where we were taken and staff were very happy to.pleae.  Once the first lot of pax had eaten, they were using all sizes of tables as tables for two, so no probs with that, we were seated at the end of the table if it was a bigger one. 

There were 1566 pax on our cruise, so not full, but a fair number of people.  TBH we suspected more of Aurora pax may had asked for set sittings, which may possibly have left the freedom dining restaurant less busy than sometimes, but not sure about that as people on first sitting (the most popular of course), did say there were some empty tables near them.  We were on the 28 night Caribbean from Southampton.

In over 30 cruises we've always asked for a table of 8 second sitting and apart from one occasion always got what we wanted.  On one occasion we were given a table of 2, on Arcadia, and we were able to swap with a couple who had been put on a table for 8 and had requested a table for 2, so in the end it worked well.  We've made some good friends over the years and are still in touch with a number.  I would be very sorry if Club Dining were to end.  We enjoyed the fact that we got to know the other people and we weren't having to introduce ourselves each evening. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, annieuk said:

In over 30 cruises we've always asked for a table of 8 second sitting and apart from one occasion always got what we wanted.  On one occasion we were given a table of 2, on Arcadia, and we were able to swap with a couple who had been put on a table for 8 and had requested a table for 2, so in the end it worked well.  We've made some good friends over the years and are still in touch with a number.  I would be very sorry if Club Dining were to end.  We enjoyed the fact that we got to know the other people and we weren't having to introduce ourselves each evening. 

Agree absolutely.

• Like 2

On 1/23/2023 at 3:40 PM, annieuk said:

I agree completely with what you say. Most of our cruises have been for 19 nights each time and we always opt for table for 8 second sitting. We have met a lot of lovely people over the years  and have really enjoyed getting to know them.
We are booked for 7 nights on Ventura in May and have opted for Freedom dining as an experiment. We also have a high OBS so are thinking we will make use of the speciality restaurants. I must admit the problems that some seem to have with the “app” are making me wonder if we would have been better to stick with what we know! 

1 hour ago, SeaJane said:

I agree completely with what you say. Most of our cruises have been for 19 nights each time and we always opt for table for 8 second sitting. We have met a lot of lovely people over the years  and have really enjoyed getting to know them.
We are booked for 7 nights on Ventura in May and have opted for Freedom dining as an experiment. We also have a high OBS so are thinking we will make use of the speciality restaurants. I must admit the problems that some seem to have with the “app” are making me wonder if we would have been better to stick with what we know! 

App not so necessary on Ventura as she is small compared to the two giants!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Fionboard said:

App not so necessary on Ventura as she is small compared to the two giants!

On our first cruise (Oriana 1996) people were commenting on how big she was compared to Canberra. I wonder how many years before people are talking about things being different on the new ships compared to the smaller ships like Iona and Arvia? 😂 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

My first P&O cruise was aboard Victoria which, at 28,000 tons was less than half the size of Aurora! Our one previous cruise had been aboard QE2 which was 70,000. We were a bit worried that Victoria was going to be tiny but she still looked huge then when we arrived at the old Mayflower terminal...

• Like 2

I too am going on Ventura in March for the first time, previously on Adonia and Aurora and a couple of times on Arcadia.  Those were the days of getting on the ship and not having to do anything.  Any bookings for restaurants, we used the old fashioned telephone or turned up at the door and made arrangements.  Of course, there were a lot more crew.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Tablelamp said:

I too am going on Ventura in March for the first time, previously on Adonia and Aurora and a couple of times on Arcadia.  Those were the days of getting on the ship and not having to do anything.  Any bookings for restaurants, we used the old fashioned telephone or turned up at the door and made arrangements.  Of course, there were a lot more crew.

To me picking the phone up, dialling the number, waiting for an answer, explaining what I want, waiting for the reply etc is 'not doing anything' certainly a lot more effort than clicking a few buttons whilst brushing my teeth. And as for making a special journey, wait in a queue to speak to someone to make a reservation, that's a lot more effort than I want on holiday. And, no, I didn't grow up with technology!

• Like 1

The good old days when technology never existed, reminds of the conversation we had onboard Britannia with this older couple who was complaining about modern day technology, she than pulls out a newer iPhone than my beloved as and proceeded to show us pictures of there grand kids.

Twelve days to go before my Iona cruise and since Saturday when they became available I have booked twice for the Olive Grove but had no luck with the Beach House, you just get a message saying 'unavailable, coming soon'. I tried again this morning and the Olive Grove is now 'coming soon' as well. Is this P&O speak for fully booked?

I can see why the Olive Grove is popular as it is free unless you want one of the charged items and the Beach House has a cover charge.

44 minutes ago, davecttr said:

Twelve days to go before my Iona cruise and since Saturday when they became available I have booked twice for the Olive Grove but had no luck with the Beach House, you just get a message saying 'unavailable, coming soon'. I tried again this morning and the Olive Grove is now 'coming soon' as well. Is this P&O speak for fully booked?

I can see why the Olive Grove is popular as it is free unless you want one of the charged items and the Beach House has a cover charge.

Same here,,,booked lunch in the Olive Grove plenty of availability.

Not able to book the Beach House,,plenty of slots in Epicurean except Valentines night.

17 minutes ago, JeanieC,Aston said:

Same here,,,booked lunch in the Olive Grove plenty of availability.

Not able to book the Beach House,,plenty of slots in Epicurean except Valentines night.

Not an Epicurian fan so I will use the Olive Grove on Celebration night with the advantage for me of evening casual dress. I downloaded the sample menus and as a solo cruiser the 'grazing' starter for two, I fancy the Mediterranean Trio, would be too much for one if I followed with a main and no dessert.

5 minutes ago, Tablelamp said:

Normally in the MDR got an evening meal, I would request a starter, a soup course and a main dish.  I’m wondering, by today’s standard if this is going to look PIGGISH.  Any thoughts?

No, you are on holiday, and anyway they save on the dessert. People do this all the time

6 minutes ago, Tablelamp said:

Normally in the MDR got an evening meal, I would request a starter, a soup course and a main dish.  I’m wondering, by today’s standard if this is going to look PIGGISH.  Any thoughts?

Based on recent comments about portion sizes in the MDRs, if you add a desert and cheese to that you may not need to do a raid of the buffet later in the evening 😂 

• Haha 1

Yes, that’s my scene, but cheese and biscuits instead of dessert.  Also, it’s no good if my order of red wine comes late as I could not drink it if it didn’t arrive until the dessert came.   If this was the case, I hope they wouldn’t charge me for the wine.

20 minutes ago, Tablelamp said:

Yes, that’s my scene, but cheese and biscuits instead of dessert.  Also, it’s no good if my order of red wine comes late as I could not drink it if it didn’t arrive until the dessert came.   If this was the case, I hope they wouldn’t charge me for the wine.

Hi Tablelamp. You may remember the post I put on earlier this month as follows:

"Don't let the views of a few people (out of the thousands that cruise) prevent you from looking forward to and enjoying your cruise. We all have different views and there are thousands who have enjoyed their cruises. We were on Ventura in November, yes some things have changed, yes there have been some cut backs but this is no different to land based holidays. Did we still enjoy our cruise, yes absolutely, we went with an open mind and didn't allow ourselves to be influenced by any reviews we read. We are looking forward to our next cruise in March and the other cruises we have booked, all with P&O."

I would also add that we had no problem with our wine arriving on time.

Please relax and start looking forward to your holiday. It may also help if you stop reading reviews, on this and other review sites, as this will not help you and are only a small representative of those who cruise. Like I said, go with an open mind, many thousands of people have enjoyed their cruise and had a positive experience.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2