Current promotion question

ropomo

Booked a cruise last night using the current Viking promotion of $25 deposit  pp and final due 6 months out. The invoice arrived via email and when reviewing it, the standard cancellation schedule was shown with a $100 pp cancellation cost at 120 days or greater out from departure. Would Viking actually expect me to pay another $75 pp if I were to cancel in this timeframe? The text preceding the schedule states "For any cruise/land booking, whether under deposit, partially paid, or paid in full..."

19 minutes ago, ropomo said:

Booked a cruise last night using the current Viking promotion of $25 deposit  pp and final due 6 months out. The invoice arrived via email and when reviewing it, the standard cancellation schedule was shown with a $100 pp cancellation cost at 120 days or greater out from departure. Would Viking actually expect me to pay another $75 pp if I were to cancel in this timeframe? The text preceding the schedule states "For any cruise/land booking, whether under deposit, partially paid, or paid in full..."

Yes, you have to pay an additional $75 to cover the penalty for cancellation.  It has happened to me the first go round last year with the $25 deposit.  Others have also commented that buyer beware.

The way around that is NOT to cancel but instead do a "transfer" to another future cruise, thus keeping the same booking #.   No charge to do that if greater than 120 days.

Edited by CCWineLover
  • Like 3

Thanks for the feedback. Based on the actual wording in their invoice, it might be better to just ignore the booking  and eat the $25 pp if you change your mind rather than cancelling since they don't cover that aspect. 

"For any cruise/land booking, whether under deposit, partially paid, or paid in full and air-inclusive packages paid in full, the following travel agent- or guest-requested situations are considered cancellations and penalties will apply as noted below: changes to departure date; substitutions of itinerary; substitution of another person for original booked guest(s); or changing to a promotional fare. All cancellations must be in writing. For all air-inclusive packages cancelled after issuance of an airline ticket, the airline flights and tickets will be cancelled and have no value. The following cancellation charges will be assessed for all written cancellations received prior to departure up to the scheduled time of departure."

19 hours ago, ropomo said:

Thanks for the feedback. Based on the actual wording in their invoice, it might be better to just ignore the booking  and eat the $25 pp if you change your mind rather than cancelling since they don't cover that aspect. 

Rather than following the Terms & Conditions that you agreed to, when paying the deposit, I assume your suggestion is to be a "No Show" at time of embarkation. Saving a whole $75 pp or $150, which is a tiny percentage of the cruise fare.

If it's fair for you to break the terms of the contract, is it also acceptable for Viking to advise you at the embarkation port that they cancelled the contract, without compensation. If 1 party can break the contract, surely the other party can also break the contract.

Surely, if you have to cancel, as an upstanding citizen, you adhere to the terms of the contract you agreed to by paying the additional $75 pp cancellation fee, or using one of the options listed in the previous post.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, ropomo said:

Yes, I would pay the additional $75 pp fee if the situation occurred. Just pointing out from my non-lawyer perspective that you could avoid it if you just ignore it.

I suspect they would request you paid the full balance of your invoice Since you are under contract and didn’t cancel if you just failed to show.

I do agree it’s wrong to promote that deposit figure without spelling out your liability. Did you book direct with Viking? If they didn’t explain fully  that is naughty.