Suggestions for a Christmas & New Year Cruise please?

Hobson1754

After years of wanting a Christmas & New Year cruise, but unable to do so because of family commitments, we are finally planning to go away Christmas 2024🤪

We don’t want to travel long haul anymore for a few reasons and my first choice is Viking but, being unable to see any Viking cruises for that period in the Mediterranean, I contacted Viking by phone and was advised that it looks as if they aren’t going to have any ‘Quiet Mediterranean’ season anymore due to people being able to travel more freely after COVID.  Viking currently have a couple of Christmas cruises in Med in 2023!
I’ve also checked out Oceania and Azamara but again no luck.  We really don’t want a mainstream huge cruise ship with lot of kids - any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

We just had a lovely Christmas onboard Viking in the Caribbean.  We have become fans of Christmas cruises since kids are grown and have plans of their own and parents are gone.  We have enjoyed them on World Cruises and HAL cruises out of San Diego to Mexico.  Most ships will be at sea on Christmas day and the decorations and food are usually kicked up a notch or two.  A bonus is no shopping, cooking, washing up.....🍸

7 minutes ago, bookbabe said:

West Indies Explorer maybe?

My suggestion as well! We took that cruise in December 2021, after 2 postponements (one when they oversold our original cruise, the second due to Covid).

The temperature at that time of year is perfect; we were in shorts and shirtsleeves the entire time, and had a great trip. 

• Like 1

Yes, many thanks for this everyone the only problem is we didn’t really want to fly long haul from UK again for a variety of reasons really and also think we’ve done the Caribbean to death over the years, however it looks as though we don’t have too many options.  Have started to think I’ll have a look a river cruises although I’m not sure I’m completely sold. Back to the drawing board 😂

9 minutes ago, Hobson1754 said:

Yes, many thanks for this everyone the only problem is we didn’t really want to fly long haul from UK again for a variety of reasons really and also think we’ve done the Caribbean to death over the years, however it looks as though we don’t have too many options.  Have started to think I’ll have a look a river cruises although I’m not sure I’m completely sold. Back to the drawing board 😂

That's one of our limiting factors too.  Minimize flying.  Especially since we got caught up in that mess over Christmas and were stranded in Puerto Rico.  Most Med based ships seem to transit to the Caribbean due to not so good weather possibilities in the Med.  We also have done many trips to the Caribbean and have a few favorite stops but declare "sea days" for a number of others.  For us being on the ship is the draw more than some of the ports.  

On the Viking Oceans website, you can filter on Month/Year.  Doing so for Dec 2023 shows 15 cruises.  You'd have to look at each one to see if they span Dec 25.  I checked them all.

I did find Mediterranean Antiquities :

Athens-Barcelona 2 weeks   Dec 20  Viking Saturn

Athens-Barcelona 2 weeks   Dec 22  Viking Venus

These appear to be the only cruises that span Dec 25 and are in the Med.  You'd have to do a transatlantic, Caribbean, or Panama Canal (or South America or Australia) for the other 14 itineraries.

We just finished a FLL-FLL Christmas Cruise Dec 21-Jan 4 to Panama Canal and back.  Loved the holiday spirits and atmosphere. But I understand not wanting to fly much during the holidays.

23 minutes ago, Jim Avery said:

That's one of our limiting factors too.  Minimize flying.  Especially since we got caught up in that mess over Christmas and were stranded in Puerto Rico.  Most Med based ships seem to transit to the Caribbean due to not so good weather possibilities in the Med.  We also have done many trips to the Caribbean and have a few favorite stops but declare "sea days" for a number of others.  For us being on the ship is the draw more than some of the ports.  

I agree with you completely regards sea days on Viking - I love them.  Ultimately it’s the hassle of flying long haul, coupled with the extra budget needed as the days of flying economy on a long flight for me are long gone 😂 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, CCWineLover said:

On the Viking Oceans website, you can filter on Month/Year.  Doing so for Dec 2023 shows 15 cruises.  You'd have to look at each one to see if they span Dec 25.  I checked them all.

I did find Mediterranean Antiquities :

Athens-Barcelona 2 weeks   Dec 20  Viking Saturn

Athens-Barcelona 2 weeks   Dec 22  Viking Venus

These appear to be the only cruises that span Dec 25 and are in the Med.  You'd have to do a transatlantic, Caribbean, or Panama Canal (or South America or Australia) for the other 14 itineraries.

We just finished a FLL-FLL Christmas Cruise Dec 21-Jan 4 to Panama Canal and back.  Loved the holiday spirits and atmosphere. But I understand not wanting to fly much during the holidays.

Yes, done that, the Med cruises for 2023 aren’t going to be there for 2024 otherwise I was ready to book 😤  Was hoping the community may have some knowledge of another (quality) Cruise line I hadn’t thought of which did the Med at Christmas.

2 minutes ago, Hobson1754 said:

Yes, done that, the Med cruises for 2023 aren’t going to be there for 2024 otherwise I was ready to book 😤  Was hoping the community may have some knowledge of another (quality) Cruise line I hadn’t thought of which did the Med at Christmas.

One other line which could minimize flights might be Cunard.  Have not sailed QM2 since her Maiden Voyage but she is a beautiful ship.  I believe there is a Transatlantic leaving Southampton, traveling to NYC then on to the Caribbean ending back up in NYC.  One NYC/LHR Biz class flight.  🍸

13 minutes ago, Jim Avery said:

One other line which could minimize flights might be Cunard.  Have not sailed QM2 since her Maiden Voyage but she is a beautiful ship.  I believe there is a Transatlantic leaving Southampton, traveling to NYC then on to the Caribbean ending back up in NYC.  One NYC/LHR Biz class flight.  🍸

Thanks I’ll have a look Jim.