New To Princess

ReneeFLL

My mom and stepdad will be sailing on the Ruby Princess in a few days. They have never sailed on them before and the last time was on Royal about 8 years ago. Can you please tell me what a first timer would need to know. I did learn about the medallions, but since they booked late they will have to get them at the port. Thanks.

1 hour ago, ReneeFLL said:

My mom and stepdad will be sailing on the Ruby Princess in a few days. They have never sailed on them before and the last time was on Royal about 8 years ago. Can you please tell me what a first timer would need to know. I did learn about the medallions, but since they booked late they will have to get them at the port. Thanks.

We haven't cruised with Princess since 2010 and reboarding with Princess in 2024. The MDR is open on embarkation day if they want something to eat and don't want to go to the buffet. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, davekathy said:

We haven't cruised with Princess since 2010 and reboarding with Princess in 2024. The MDR is open on embarkation day if they want something to eat and don't want to go to the buffet. 

Thanks for the info. I’ll let them know.

2 hours ago, ReneeFLL said:

Are there any formal nights? Do shows or dinners need to be booked?

Depending on how long the cruise, there will be at least one formal night.  But "Formal Night' doesn't mean what it did 10 years ago.  There are many threads here about formal nights.  they can dress up (tux/suit, long dress or dressy cocktail dress) if they want, but many, many guests don't bother.

Shows can't be booked, first come, first served in the Princess Theatre, shows usually 7:30p and 9:30p.  Dinner can be reserved, but doesn't have to be.

As I said, poke around this site.  There's lots of threads answering your questions in excruciating detail.  Good luck and have fun.🍹

• Like 2

4 hours ago, ReneeFLL said:

There are so many formal night threads on the boards.  I strongly recommend not starting another.  I think there is at least one right now on pages 1 or 2 of the Princess board that is growing rather quickly.  Or maybe it is dining room dress code, those threads are also as common as the formal night threads.  It devolves into 3 or 4 or more pages of lamentations that formal nights aren't adhered to.  Long time cruisers want the non-formal folks to hide in their cabins and be gone during formal nights, and newer cruisers don't understand what the big deal is.  I say most of this in jest, but if you read either the MDR dress code threads or the formal night threads you'll get all the actual info, and more than enough opinion to satisfy all of your questions about how you dress for dinner out at night.

On average, if the cruise is 7 days, you'll have at least 2 formal nights and they are generally on sea days, unless the itinerary is port heavy and has fewer sea days.  We did a 10-day California Coastal a few years back and I can't remember if it was 2 or 3 formal nights.  I think it was 3, and we opted out of the 3rd formal night and just had dinner in the buffet, and it was just fine.  Uh-oh, I'm starting to provide opinion about formal nights, somebody slap me on the wrist.

Dining is also a common thread here.  With Medallion, everything has moved to Dine Your Way, so if you do want reservations, you'll do all of that on the app on your phone (or tablet).  You can schedule MDR reservations while on board, some folks will schedule them prior to boarding.  Specialty restaurants can be very popular, and usually require a reservation, same thing, book through the app, or call the Dine Line when you are on board.

Shows are first come first seated, although with the newest Princess Premier itiration, supposedly those folks have reserved seating for theater shows.  That hasn't actually gone into practice yet, so we'll see how Princess manages that.

7 hours ago, ReneeFLL said:

Royal Caribbean?  That is why you mean by Royal?  Not the Royal Princess?

Assuming that, I think they will find the vibe on board relaxed, tasteful, comfortable.  I hope they don't need flowriders and watersides, because there are none on Princess.  Other than that, on board entertainment is generally excellent and there are lots of options in the evenings.

Lots of food threads here.  You'll want to read those, too.  Just remember, food is subjective.  I've talked to some recent cruisers offline, folks that cruised a lot before the illness I shall not mention by name, and who have returned to cruising, and the general consensus of these good people I've talked with offline is that food remains a weak point compared to prior to any halt of cruising.  This seems to cross through most cruise lines, but varies from ship to ship, and even cruiser to cruiser (back to subjectivity).  Don't let the food threads scare you.  I remember back in 2019 there were threads about cruise food that were negative, you could read those threads, and transport them into today, right now, without missing a beat.

5 hours ago, davekathy said:

I would also like to add that on embarkation day, don't ask the staff what MDR is open for lunch, your parents have to go find it on their own.  The staff that is assisting with embarkation will always direct pax to the buffet.  Sit-down lunch will likely be one of the MDRs adjacent to the Piazza.  Look for an open door, and they will have a nice, sit-down lunch.  Not the controlled pandemonium at the Horizon Court (buffet).  Note, that hours for lunch in the MDR on embarkation day is pretty limited, something like noon to 1:30, so they had better plan on getting to the port in the late morning so they can anticipate getting on board in that noon window to get a sit-down lunch.

Now, if that doesn't work, they can get a solid lunch without visiting the buffet by picking up some selections from the International Cafe.  Again, avoid the buffet.  Or, they can go up on Lido and get pizza or a burger or hot dog at the cafes up near the pool.  What I'm encouraging is to just avoid the buffet and get food served to you rather than having to rub shoulders and handle serving utensils, which is a great way to get some disease at the beginning of the cruise.

I wish them a great cruise, and I hope they enjoy Princess.

Edited by jeromep
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Depending on which ship they are on, most ships have a sit-down restaurant called Alfredos.  It wasn't until my third cruise that I realized there is no charge.  Menus vary but primarily Italian pizzeria type menu.  Pizza, calzones. etc.  Here is a list of other possible restaurants venues that are on many Princess ships.  I'm sure I missed other places on board.   Below is a pdf file which explains all or most of the dining options on all princess ships .  The first column lists which ships have which restaurants.

I enjoy the International cafe where you can get specialty coffee and tea along with deli type food.  If you ask nicely, they will usually have fresh baked cookies in the back.

I also like Swirls Ice Cream on the Lido deck.  

I hope they enjoy their cruise as much as I have enjoyed mine..

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Also something I really appreciate is the EZCheck Luggage Service when disembarking at Fort Lauderdale.  I've used it several times and feel it's well worth the money.  Princess will provide instructions document on the 3rd or 4th day before cruise end.  You fill out a document showing your airline, flight number, times, etc. 

Princess EZ Check Luggage Forward Service is Fast, Efficient and Stress-Free Debarkation

In partnership with Bags Inc Shipboard Airline Check-In Service, Onboard Airline Check-In adds convenience and peace of mind to the life of a cruise traveler. After checking in for a flight while onboard the ship, the passenger’s checked luggage will be transported directly from the pier to the departing airport. Along with allowing passengers to disembark earlier, Onboard Airline Check-In allows passengers to travel without the burden of luggage. You can have your Luggage Expedited from the departure in San Diego SAN, Port Everglades FLL, Port Everglades MIA, Honolulu HNL. following your cruise and you no longer need to check your bags at the airport.   See more detailed info below.

For a nominal fee of $25 pp (plus any baggage fees as imposed by your airline of departure), your boarding passes will be issued onboard during the last evening of the cruise and your luggage will be transported directly to the aircraft.

Requirements to participate in this service:

Participating disembarkation ports are. San Diego SAN, Port Everglades FLL, Port Everglades MIA, Honolulu HNL. Southwest Airlines (WN) currently only participates in Ft. Lauderdale (FLL).

Participating Airlines: Air Canada, Air Tran, Alaska Airlines, American Airlines, Delta Airlines, JetBlue, Southwest Airlines, United Airlines.

*The list of airlines varies from port to port and is frequently subject to change throughout the season. 
  •           Flights must be with a participating Airline. The connection flight can be operated with a different airline as long as the reservation is on the same record locator number.
  •           All flights must depart as follows: For San diego: 11:30 AM-11:59 PM. Port everglades FLL: 11:30 AM-11:59 PM. Port Everglades MIA: 2:00 PM-11:59 PM. Honolulu: 11:30 AM-11:59 PM.
  •           Service fee listed below.  And additional airline baggage fees (as determined by the Airlines), will also be charge to your shipboard account.

** Guests are advised to check the latest offerings when you get on board as we cannot guarantee an airline will operate due to airline operational reasons and local government conditions.

EZ Check Fee is $25 pp.  

Participating Airlines:  American Airlines; Delta Airlines – Domestic Flights, Jet Blue United Airlines, Southwest Airlines, Alaska Airlines, United Airlines, Air Canada, other major airlines.

Benefits of this service:
  •           Your luggage will be checked in direct to your flight
  •           You will not need to check in at the airport as you will already have been issued your airline boarding passes and airline luggage tags on the ship, proceed directly to security.
  •           If your flight departs late and you wish to explore Fort Lauderdale (Port Everglades), SanDiego, and Honolulu , you can do so without the worry of carrying your bags.
If you meet all of the above requirements:
You will need to Complete the registration form onboard at the information desk.Please be aware that this service is provided by the airline listed above and on occasions, they may experience difficulties in processing some passenger’s airline records preventing the ability to print boarding passes and luggage tags on board.  In these cases, it will be necessary for passengers to check-in person at the airport.  Should this situation arise you will be notified as soon as possible.  You should also be aware that upon arrival in our disembarkation port, Customs may choose to examine your luggage, which will be done in your presence.     
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, jeromep said:

Long time cruisers want the non-formal folks to hide in their cabins and be gone during formal nights,

You strongly advised that this thread not devolve into another formal night dress code thread, but then you go ahead and post this. It is neither true nor neutral. So you are inviting the curse that you warn against. An odd choice. 

2 hours ago, jeromep said:

I would also like to add that on embarkation day, don't ask the staff what MDR is open for lunch, your parents have to go find it on their own.  The staff that is assisting with embarkation will always direct pax to the buffet.

I don’t know if this was ever true, but if it once was, it isn’t now. I haven’t heard or seen this old wive’s tale play out in the past 11 years. Every crew member we have witnessed in that time has been honest and open. Now, of course, my experiences pale in comparison to the literally thousands of cruises that I was not on. But honestly, this peccadillo hasn’t really been an issue of concern for quite some time. Especially since Alfredo’s was introduced on the Royal Class ships. And if you think about it, the MDR is open for lunch. They know it and we know it. What possible incentive could there be for the ship to operate a venue and have no one use it, and instead toss everyone into the pandemonium of the buffet only to be angered and disappointed on their first impression of the ship. In a customer service oriented business, creating a negative first impression is the single worst thing you could do. 

• Like 5

5 hours ago, DCThunder said:

Depending on how long the cruise, there will be at least one formal night.  But "Formal Night' doesn't mean what it did 10 years ago.  There are many threads here about formal nights.  they can dress up (tux/suit, long dress or dressy cocktail dress) if they want, but many, many guests don't bother.

Shows can't be booked, first come, first served in the Princess Theatre, shows usually 7:30p and 9:30p.  Dinner can be reserved, but doesn't have to be.

As I said, poke around this site.  There's lots of threads answering your questions in excruciating detail.  Good luck and have fun.🍹

Thanks for the info. It sounds about like Royal. I did do some research, but unfortunately I didn’t have much time and they are sailing in a few days. Your answers are helpful. They are on a 7 night cruise.

Edited by ReneeFLL
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, candy4040 said:

Also something I really appreciate is the EZCheck Luggage Service when disembarking at Fort Lauderdale….

Thanks for the info. I’m in Fort Lauderdale and they are in Texas cruising out of Galveston.

3 hours ago, jeromep said:

There are so many formal night threads on the boards.  I strongly recommend not starting another.  I think there is at least one right now on pages 1 or 2 of the Princess board that is growing rather quickly.  Or maybe it is dining room dress code, those threads are also as common as the formal night threads.  It devolves into 3 or 4 or more pages of lamentations that formal nights aren't adhered to.  Long time cruisers want the non-formal folks to hide in their cabins and be gone during formal nights, and newer cruisers don't understand what the big deal is.  I say most of this in jest, but if you read either the MDR dress code threads or the formal night threads you'll get all the actual info, and more than enough opinion to satisfy all of your questions about how you dress for dinner out at night.

On average, if the cruise is 7 days, you'll have at least 2 formal nights and they are generally on sea days, unless the itinerary is port heavy and has fewer sea days.  We did a 10-day California Coastal a few years back and I can't remember if it was 2 or 3 formal nights.  I think it was 3, and we opted out of the 3rd formal night and just had dinner in the buffet, and it was just fine.  Uh-oh, I'm starting to provide opinion about formal nights, somebody slap me on the wrist.

Dining is also a common thread here.  With Medallion, everything has moved to Dine Your Way, so if you do want reservations, you'll do all of that on the app on your phone (or tablet).  You can schedule MDR reservations while on board, some folks will schedule them prior to boarding.  Specialty restaurants can be very popular, and usually require a reservation, same thing, book through the app, or call the Dine Line when you are on board.

Shows are first come first seated, although with the newest Princess Premier itiration, supposedly those folks have reserved seating for theater shows.  That hasn't actually gone into practice yet, so we'll see how Princess manages that.

Assuming that, I think they will find the vibe on board relaxed, tasteful, comfortable.  I hope they don't need flowriders and watersides, because there are none on Princess.  Other than that, on board entertainment is generally excellent and there are lots of options in the evenings.

Lots of food threads here.  You'll want to read those, too.  Just remember, food is subjective.  I've talked to some recent cruisers offline, folks that cruised a lot before the illness I shall not mention by name, and who have returned to cruising, and the general consensus of these good people I've talked with offline is that food remains a weak point compared to prior to any halt of cruising.  This seems to cross through most cruise lines, but varies from ship to ship, and even cruiser to cruiser (back to subjectivity).  Don't let the food threads scare you.  I remember back in 2019 there were threads about cruise food that were negative, you could read those threads, and transport them into today, right now, without missing a beat.

I would also like to add that on embarkation day, don't ask the staff what MDR is open for lunch, your parents have to go find it on their own.  The staff that is assisting with embarkation will always direct pax to the buffet.  Sit-down lunch will likely be one of the MDRs adjacent to the Piazza.  Look for an open door, and they will have a nice, sit-down lunch.  Not the controlled pandemonium at the Horizon Court (buffet).  Note, that hours for lunch in the MDR on embarkation day is pretty limited, something like noon to 1:30, so they had better plan on getting to the port in the late morning so they can anticipate getting on board in that noon window to get a sit-down lunch.

Now, if that doesn't work, they can get a solid lunch without visiting the buffet by picking up some selections from the International Cafe.  Again, avoid the buffet.  Or, they can go up on Lido and get pizza or a burger or hot dog at the cafes up near the pool.  What I'm encouraging is to just avoid the buffet and get food served to you rather than having to rub shoulders and handle serving utensils, which is a great way to get some disease at the beginning of the cruise.

I’m not starting another formal night thread. I’m simply asking a question. I have been on the boards since 2011 and am well aware of all the formal night, tip, food, chair hogs, etc threads. I’m on a cruise now and this coming week and I unfortunately don’t have the time to read thru all of them. This cruise was recently booked and I’m trying to get them some info.

Yes I was referring to Royal Caribbean. I wasn’t aware there was a Royal Princess. Btw, Princess boards sound like the Royal Caribbean boards. They definitely aren’t interested in all the bells and whistles that Royal has. Flowriders, etc.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, jeromep said:

When do you advise to go the buffet, rediculous advice

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

This is absolutely not true.

That was an attempt at humor.  The dress code threads attract a number of general personalities.  There are the hardliners who, when you read between the lines, insist that everyone should participate in formal nights or not being visible at all.  I suppose the image I had in my head when I made the quip was along the lines of "children should be seen and not heard".  In this instance, casual cruisers who are not interested in being 70's "Love Boat" formal should stay away while the formal frivolities are occurring lest they dampen the vibe with less than formal attire.  Again more attempts at humor.  If only people knew my real personality, or could hear my voice.  It is amazing what body language and voice do to a enrich a conversation.

12 hours ago, antsp said:

When do you advise to go the buffet, rediculous advice

Happy to answer that.  When Noro was a thing on cruises (I'm glad it isn't in the news these days, but it hasn't gone away), a great place for transmission is anyplace where a lot of people are touching the same thing over and over again.  Sure, any surface in any structure can provide this medium of transmission, but the buffet is probably the worst offender.

Noro is a contact transmission disease, hand to mouth, usually related to bad personal hygiene.  You get one person that is suffering some gastric distress and is unsanitary in how they handle themselves, such as not washing properly and thoroughly after using the bathroom, and they can spread the infection to all the surfaces they touch.  What makes Noro so bad is that it has a fairly long lifespan outside the body, so it remains viable on surfaces for a long time, and on top of that mutates incredibly easily.

The first day on board you have a lot of people, most who have flown in from long distances, some who may be carrying the disease and are surviving by loading themselves up on Immodium.  Combine that with somebody that isn't particularly sanitary.  You load them all on a ship and one or two of these people are up in the buffet loading themselves up with food, touching all the serving ware with their dirty hands.  Now, uninfected persons touch the serving ware and they are contaminated.  That contaminated spoon, tongs, or spatula can directly contaminate the food, too, especially if the handle comes into contact with the contents of the dish

Handwashing stations in the buffet can really reduce transmission, however everyone entering the buffet has to wash with soap and water, and for sufficient time, with sufficient agitation for this to be effective.  Does everyone???? No.  It has to be 100% compliance or else spreading Noro through the buffet and its food can still happen (and frankly, it can still happen outside of the buffet line anyplace people are touching a lot of surfaces).

I would not be opposed to eating in the buffet any time if all the food is being served by kitchen staff or stewards.  This prevents mishandling of utensils and reduces the possibility of contamination.  But the whole point of the buffet is to have a place where a lot of people can eat, with a minimum number of staff to manage it.  Cruise lines seem to only move to staff food handling in the buffet as a response to an outbreak, when in reality it is the only reliable way to ensure proper food handling, prevention of cross contamination and reducing the potential to spread viruses through food.

On most cruises, if there doesn't appear to be a Noro situation on the ship after about 3 days, then the self-serve buffet is something I'm willing to partake.  But in general, the food on board that is served to you is just better; better quality, better flavor, nicer presentation.

• Like 1

On 1/19/2023 at 6:48 PM, JimmyVWine said:

I don’t know if this was ever true, but if it once was, it isn’t now. I haven’t heard or seen this old wive’s tale play out in the past 11 years. Every crew member we have witnessed in that time has been honest and open. Now, of course, my experiences pale in comparison to the literally thousands of cruises that I was not on. But honestly, this peccadillo hasn’t really been an issue of concern for quite some time. Especially since Alfredo’s was introduced on the Royal Class ships. And if you think about it, the MDR is open for lunch. They know it and we know it. What possible incentive could there be for the ship to operate a venue and have no one use it, and instead toss everyone into the pandemonium of the buffet only to be angered and disappointed on their first impression of the ship. In a customer service oriented business, creating a negative first impression is the single worst thing you could do. 

Not making any comments about honesty, but on the last two cruises we were on, we were told that the MDR was not open.  On one of the cruises, it was.  Not sure about the other - we were too busy getting situated (3 generation trip) that we weren’t able to check.   Maybe people are unaware, maybe it’s easier to follow a pat answer, maybe people might think the buffet is easier (can seat/service tons of people vs. limited MDR throughput), so guests will be happier if they go to the buffet.  Who knows?

8 hours ago, WAvoyager said:

Not making any comments about honesty, but on the last two cruises we were on, we were told that the MDR was not open.  On one of the cruises, it was.  Not sure about the other - we were too busy getting situated (3 generation trip) that we weren’t able to check.   Maybe people are unaware, maybe it’s easier to follow a pat answer, maybe people might think the buffet is easier (can seat/service tons of people vs. limited MDR throughput), so guests will be happier if they go to the buffet.  Who knows?

It's not an old wives tale.  This has been my experience on all my Princess cruises.  It has become a bit of a gag in my household to get on board fairly early, and as they "guide" you on board to just casually ask one of the "guides" where I can get some lunch, and the response is always buffet.

I don't think this is dishonesty or subterfuge, and the dining room could easily get overwhelmed if more than just an aware few took advantage of dining room lunch, plus the "guides" need to give simple answers to people to keep them moving and prevent any backups of people in passageways.

On 1/19/2023 at 12:35 PM, ReneeFLL said:

Dinners can be booked in the app bu it’s also possible to just turn up at the MDR. Shows cannot be reserved.

Their travel summary will show how many formal nights are on their itinerary. It’s generally as below. They can see which nights will be formal in the Journey View activities timeline in the app by looking at which evenings show formal portraits available.7E0AA991-6B4A-4CF0-937F-A4CCBCBC02F0.thumb.jpeg.1017d9d8f5d8e30475680093cf6b2a88.jpeg

1 hour ago, jeromep said:

It's not an old wives tale.  This has been my experience on all my Princess cruises.  It has become a bit of a gag in my household to get on board fairly early, and as they "guide" you on board to just casually ask one of the "guides" where I can get some lunch, and the response is always buffet.

I don't think this is dishonesty or subterfuge, and the dining room could easily get overwhelmed if more than just an aware few took advantage of dining room lunch, plus the "guides" need to give simple answers to people to keep them moving and prevent any backups of people in passageways.

On the Discovery this week they handed out cards at boarding showing which venues were open for lunch. The MDR was listed. Times may be changing.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/19/2023 at 10:17 PM, candy4040 said:

Also something I really appreciate is the EZCheck Luggage Service when disembarking at Fort Lauderdale.  I've used it several times and feel it's well worth the money.  Princess will provide instructions document on the 3rd or 4th day before cruise end.  You fill out a document showing your airline, flight number, times, etc. 

Princess EZ Check Luggage Forward Service is Fast, Efficient and Stress-Free Debarkation

In partnership with Bags Inc Shipboard Airline Check-In Service, Onboard Airline Check-In adds convenience and peace of mind to the life of a cruise traveler. After checking in for a flight while onboard the ship, the passenger’s checked luggage will be transported directly from the pier to the departing airport. Along with allowing passengers to disembark earlier, Onboard Airline Check-In allows passengers to travel without the burden of luggage. You can have your Luggage Expedited from the departure in San Diego SAN, Port Everglades FLL, Port Everglades MIA, Honolulu HNL. following your cruise and you no longer need to check your bags at the airport.   See more detailed info below.

For a nominal fee of $25 pp (plus any baggage fees as imposed by your airline of departure), your boarding passes will be issued onboard during the last evening of the cruise and your luggage will be transported directly to the aircraft.

Requirements to participate in this service:

Participating disembarkation ports are. San Diego SAN, Port Everglades FLL, Port Everglades MIA, Honolulu HNL. Southwest Airlines (WN) currently only participates in Ft. Lauderdale (FLL).

Participating Airlines: Air Canada, Air Tran, Alaska Airlines, American Airlines, Delta Airlines, JetBlue, Southwest Airlines, United Airlines.

*The list of airlines varies from port to port and is frequently subject to change throughout the season. 
  •           Flights must be with a participating Airline. The connection flight can be operated with a different airline as long as the reservation is on the same record locator number.
  •           All flights must depart as follows: For San diego: 11:30 AM-11:59 PM. Port everglades FLL: 11:30 AM-11:59 PM. Port Everglades MIA: 2:00 PM-11:59 PM. Honolulu: 11:30 AM-11:59 PM.
  •           Service fee listed below.  And additional airline baggage fees (as determined by the Airlines), will also be charge to your shipboard account.

** Guests are advised to check the latest offerings when you get on board as we cannot guarantee an airline will operate due to airline operational reasons and local government conditions.

EZ Check Fee is $25 pp.  

Participating Airlines:  American Airlines; Delta Airlines – Domestic Flights, Jet Blue United Airlines, Southwest Airlines, Alaska Airlines, United Airlines, Air Canada, other major airlines.

Benefits of this service:
  •           Your luggage will be checked in direct to your flight
  •           You will not need to check in at the airport as you will already have been issued your airline boarding passes and airline luggage tags on the ship, proceed directly to security.
  •           If your flight departs late and you wish to explore Fort Lauderdale (Port Everglades), SanDiego, and Honolulu , you can do so without the worry of carrying your bags.
If you meet all of the above requirements:
You will need to Complete the registration form onboard at the information desk.Please be aware that this service is provided by the airline listed above and on occasions, they may experience difficulties in processing some passenger’s airline records preventing the ability to print boarding passes and luggage tags on board.  In these cases, it will be necessary for passengers to check-in person at the airport.  Should this situation arise you will be notified as soon as possible.  You should also be aware that upon arrival in our disembarkation port, Customs may choose to examine your luggage, which will be done in your presence.     

Heads up… Be careful… I am currently (February 2023) on the Caribbean Princess… 4 days until disembarkation in Ft Lauderdale… and was expecting to use EZ Check service.  I asked at Guest Services this evening, and was told it was *too late* to ask for this service.  The signups are “already finished”.  There was no notification in the stateroom about it, and no deadline given… very disappointing.

Bottom line… if you want this service, (and it is wonderful and convenient - I’ve used it twice)…  ask about it and book as soon as possible… or you may get caught without it.

A year ago, we did a Caribbean cruise on the Sky princess… and we got notification 3-4 days ahead of disembarkation and were able to sign up very easily… so the exact process may differ with the ship or with the passenger load… they may have limited capacity that was already reached on our sailing.

As I recall, and I may be remembering it wrong, it was required that you also purchase the princess transfer to the airport.  A year ago we were able to sign up for both from forms left in our stateroom… on the Sky Princess.