Cut backs on P&O

sandancer

We will be taking our 3rd P&O cruise in March. I have read with interest the posts mentioning cut backs on P&O. Not having much experience of the cruise line I don’t know what the cut backs are. However, we have taken many Celebrity cruises and so after watching a YouTube video tonight on the same subject I am interested to compare.
The cutbacks on Celebrity include a charge of almost $12 for room service which used to be free, premium drinks package now costs $109 + 20% pp per day. Wow. Speciality restaurant upcharge increased (amount not specified) and finally dinner service drastically cut back in the buffet. So it seems P&O are not the only cruise line penny pinching. 

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, sandancer said:

We will be taking our 3rd P&O cruise in March. I have read with interest the posts mentioning cut backs on P&O. Not having much experience of the cruise line I don’t know what the cut backs are. However, we have taken many Celebrity cruises and so after watching a YouTube video tonight on the same subject I am interested to compare.
The cutbacks on Celebrity include a charge of almost $12 for room service which used to be free, premium drinks package now costs $109 + 20% pp per day. Wow. Speciality restaurant upcharge increased (amount not specified) and finally dinner service drastically cut back in the buffet. So it seems P&O are not the only cruise line penny pinching. 

The cutbacks seem to be affecting several of the mainstream lines, I remember our first Cunard cruise in 2019, numerous people we spoke to said it wasn't the same, we will see in June how it measures up. Sometimes it is only trivial things which do not affect or bother us but are important to others. 

• Like 2

For me it’s cutting afternoon tea in the MDR.  It’s something quintessentially British with clotted cream and scones. Maybe it’s nothing if any significant to many in the same way some other aspects wouldn’t bother me..  

• Like 7

32 minutes ago, cheshire said:

For me it’s cutting afternoon tea in the MDR.  It’s something quintessentially British with clotted cream and scones. Maybe it’s nothing if any significant to many in the same way some other aspects wouldn’t bother me..  

I agree with your sentiment, we are all different and there are always little things some of us enjoy and may make enough difference to push us to an alternative cruise line if our needs are not catered for. It is quite clear that some lines are pushing us down the road of paying for things that used to be part of the cruise fare, which again is fine for some.

• Like 3

P&O (and other companies) will be relying on picking up a very large number of new cruisers with their new ships, many of whom will have no knowledge of the situation as it used to be - so they won't 'miss' anything at all.  They'll just see it the new stripped back cruises as perfectly normal.

It's probably a perfectly sound commercial policy, and it's worked in most areas of life.  I remember the time when an iron would be expected to last 30 years - now it's probably 5, but there's no outcry. It's just expected (and environmentally appalling).

• Like 12

Harry,

I think I am noticing these cut backs  more because having been a very frequent cruiser, I have not done so since pre-Covid, so all the cutbacks have hit me in one go.  I think, like you I was used to being pampered.  I think my main ‘beef’ are cut backs in the MDR.  Whilst I enjoy going to the speciality restaurants, I take objection to having to do so because of the poor quality of food in the MDR.  I have read 12 Ventura menus and they all featured Cesar salad as a starter.  Not a prawn cocktail in sight.  

As regards the iron, we are in a throw away society.

• Like 3

When I was on Azura in October, the new cruisers I met thought it was fantastic. I don't mind some of the cuts but it was the MDR menu that was disappointing. My family were on the following week and said there was no chicken on the MDR menu. Certainly the first post covid cruises were far better. I have also done 2 Princess cruises - one in May and one I have just returned from. On both occasions the ships were not full, so this might be an unfair comparison but the food was superior to P& O althought they did run out of papaya on the last morning. I would love to see papaya on P&O! Service was excellent and there was no waiting in the bars. And there was an evening turn down service. P&O entertainment still has the edge but that also needs addressing on P&O.

It does make me wonder if P&O are bearing the brunt of cutbacks in the Carnival group. I have 2 more cruises booked with them this year and I am seriously considering cancelling them. Ths food issues seem to have started when their main supplier in Southampton went bust but that is almost a year ago and they really need to sort this out now. @molecrochip do you know if there will be any improvement soon?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Harry Peterson said:

P&O (and other companies) will be relying on picking up a very large number of new cruisers with their new ships, many of whom will have no knowledge of the situation as it used to be - so they won't 'miss' anything at all.  They'll just see it the new stripped back cruises as perfectly normal.

It's probably a perfectly sound commercial policy, and it's worked in most areas of life.  I remember the time when an iron would be expected to last 30 years - now it's probably 5, but there's no outcry. It's just expected (and environmentally appalling).

Totally agree, cutbacks have been happening as long as we have been cruising, a lot of things have been trivial and had little effect on some, however cruise lines still need "golden oldies" and clearly some of the cutbacks are a step too far for some, and they will likely move on, others will complain but carry on regardless. So far this year we have cruised with four companies and agree that P&O have cut back the most, however that has not put us off cruising with them, but it has made us consider other alternatives. 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, cheshire said:

Is it only the formal MDR afternoon tea that's been cut, or do they still have it in some form in the various buffets?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, showingdiva said:

Is it only the formal MDR afternoon tea that's been cut, or do they still have it in some form in the various buffets?

Cookies, cakes and scones with jam and cream are still available in the buffet restaurants, so yes, it is just the mdr version that has been discontinued. I did like the mdr Afternoon Tea but must admit that the service was pretty dire a lot of the time. I don't think it was popular with the waiting staff.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tablelamp said:

Harry,

I think I am noticing these cut backs  more because having been a very frequent cruiser, I have not done so since pre-Covid, so all the cutbacks have hit me in one go.  I think, like you I was used to being pampered.  I think my main ‘beef’ are cut backs in the MDR.  Whilst I enjoy going to the speciality restaurants, I take objection to having to do so because of the poor quality of food in the MDR.  I have read 12 Ventura menus and they all featured Cesar salad as a starter.  Not a prawn cocktail in sight.  

As regards the iron, we are in a throw away society.

This obsession with Prawn Cocktail is worrying. Have you thought about getting therapy for it?....😉😊

• Haha 12

9 minutes ago, Britboys said:

This obsession with Prawn Cocktail is worrying. Have you thought about getting therapy for it?....😉😊

You can get cream for it Andrew, Rose Marie I think they call it. But joking apart it does show how some little things rate highly on some peoples priority list. I only have prawn cocktail when cruising and do think it is something P&O do well and nearly always have one at dinner. I prefer a prawn cocktail and a starter than a sweet, which apart from ice cream P&O don't do very well, in my opinion of course.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Britboys said:

Cookies, cakes and scones with jam and cream are still available in the buffet restaurants, so yes, it is just the mdr version that has been discontinued. I did like the mdr Afternoon Tea but must admit that the service was pretty dire a lot of the time. I don't think it was popular with the waiting staff.

It was extremely perfunctory, wasn’t it. Understandable though, given the work pressures on those guys. I’m sure you’re right about its popularity!  The best bit was the psychological test on politeness to see who grabbed the best cakes first. That was illuminating on occasion!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, yorkshirephil said:

You can get cream for it Andrew, Rose Marie I think they call it. But joking apart it does show how some little things rate highly on some peoples priority list. I only have prawn cocktail when cruising and do think it is something P&O do well and nearly always have one at dinner. I prefer a prawn cocktail and a starter than a sweet, which apart from ice cream P&O don't do very well, in my opinion of course.

Prawn Cocktail...🤢🤮😄

• Haha 2

It’s not only Prawn Cocktail that I have an obsession with, it is the lack of shellfish, and I’m not talking about lobster which I think is overrated. A good dish of moules is wonderful.  That and a baguette would keep me going all day.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Tablelamp said:

It’s not only Prawn Cocktail that I have an obsession with, it is the lack of shellfish, and I’m not talking about lobster which I think is overrated. A good dish of moules is wonderful.  That and a baguette would keep me going all day.

Maybe you should cancel your cruise and have a fortnight in Belgium...😉

• Haha 2

Oh that MDR Afternoon tea was poor, but I loved the sense of occasion of it. But P&O excelled with it in making a free meal taste cheap. A synthetic carb-fest, marginally saved by decent scones and tea selection. And not even clotted cream: just barely whipped. Now it might have been a joyless affair food-wise but we did enjoy it for getting to meet so many new people around the tables we sat at.

Edited by Camberley
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Tablelamp said:

Totally agree with you.  The food is now very basic and samey in the buffet.  It was also mainly calorie laden!  As someone directed by my doctor to eat shellfish regularly I missed the mussels and prawns very much as my lunch choices became quite limited.  Sadly I personally found the salad selection drastically reduced as well.

• Like 1

They seem to be doing away with everything I liked about food on their ships.     As a pescatarian, I was always happy with the go-to prawn cocktail and salmon.   P&O ignited my love of lobster thermidor, which was reliably on the gala night MDR menu.

I keep hoping something may inspire me to book a post-pandemic P&O cruise.   Not doing it for me at the moment.   If Cunard attempted to do away with afternoon tea, I think there would be a mutiny much worse than the Bounty.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, showingdiva said:

... If Cunard attempted to do away with afternoon tea, I think there would be a mutiny much worse than the Bounty.

Indeed - but it is much more of an institution on Cunard. Whilst the food quality has been eroded to some degree over the years, it is still a much more elegant affair, being held in the Queen's Room, served silver service by waiters in white gloves and usually accompanied by some lovely gentle live music.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Tablelamp said:

I forgot to mention that now on Celebrity lobster night you are allowed one lobster tail pp. Extras cost $16.95 each.  

Edited by sandancer

9 minutes ago, sandancer said:

I forgot to mention that now on Celebrity lobster night you are allowed one lobster tail pp. Extras cost $16.95 each.  

At least you're getting one! Judging by Bobstheboy's post over on the Iona food thread after his meeting about menus we will not see such a thing for a very long time on a P&O ship!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, sandancer said:

Yes, and they've introduced a $9.95 charge for room service.  I sense that this is the way all mass market lines will go and that the economics are unavoidable.  The base cost of a 2-week cruise is pretty much the same now as it was when my wife and I started cruising over 20 years ago.  But, all the costs have gone up and Covid led to billions in debt.  After alcohol, charging for food must be one of the simplest ways for the cruise lines to increase spend per pax.  Hence, the upcharges for 'special items', the limitations on choice and availability in MDRs and buffets and the increasing push towards speciality restaurants.  I don't think the trend will reverse - pretty much everything will remain available, at a cost.  Those who remember how it used to be will have to decide whether that prawn cocktail / lobster / caviar is worth paying extra for, either item by item or by spending more at the outset to cruise on the luxury lines where these items are still included.  Those who are new to cruising will regard it as the norm.

1 hour ago, Tablelamp said:

I seem to remember having moules, something or other as a starter on P&O many years ago, I think  I had 3 mussels and a desert spoonful of sauce, which would have left me still holding most of the baguette.

• Haha 3