Cruiseline formal wear for women

The reasons I would not rent would be price, fit & selection. In other words--all the things that other people have mentioned:p However, if YOU have found items to rent that appeal to you and are within your budget, there's no reason not to do it. I'm sort of a control freak, too, so I want to have everything squared away before I get on the ship.

In these halcyon days of internet shopping, though, living in the boonies shouldn't hold you back. Trust me, I know about living in the boonies without shopping! That's why the UPS driver knows my name & address as well as my husband's office and in-laws house--if he needs a signature, he'll drive around until he finds one of us to make his delivery:p See, sometimes living in a small town is nice for shopping!

We have been considering land to build on and my husband found an area out in the middle of the desert; he asked me what I thought and I replied with "Does UPS know where this is?" As long as UPS gets there I wouldn't mind where I lived. :D

Well, while the UPS driver knows me/us, I try to avoid FedEx at all costs! They only deliver twice a week and once delivered something on the other side of the STATE and swore it was my house. Zip code WASN'T EVEN CLOSE. So Sony had no choice but to ship me the object again, at no charge:D Ah, the joys......Anyway, we built our house about 5 years ago, on 7 acres of an old tobacco farm in NC. Lovely piece of land, actually not too bad for my commute (I have to work in a bigger city) and really really great on the weekends--I can garden nekkid;)

We have been considering land to build on and my husband found an area out in the middle of the desert; he asked me what I thought and I replied with "Does UPS know where this is?" As long as UPS gets there I wouldn't mind where I lived. :D

I am in the middle of the desert. 100 miles West of Phoenix and 40 miles to the CA/AZ line. Don't even speak to me about UPS. We own a business and some of our customers INSIST on sending paperwork UPS overnight air. Well, overnight to UPS in this area is when the driver feels like driving out here. I deal with this all the time. UPS does NOT make their "substation drivers" deliver all their packages if it will put them into overtime. Guess what-the driver out here cops the overtime thing until he has a lot of packages/letters and feels "it's worth his time to drive out here".

I spent half of last night and since 5 this morning trying to track down an overnight letter, sent from Dallas Friday morning, with a couple of large checks and a large $$$ contract in it. "It is out for delivery"-it has been showing this since Saturday. The truly sad thing-our business is logistics/trucking and we know how the transportation system works. UPS is just so big, they truly do not care about "outlying areas".

Sorry for the rant, but when I saw your post, I just wanted you to know one of the really bad things about "living in the middle of the desert".

I have rented tuxes for my sons from Cruiseline formals & they have always been very nice & fit well. My question, has anyone ever tried the women's offerings? We have a longer cruise coming up & I am wondering about renting one of the ladies tops to go with my long black skirt. Any thoughts?

I just found this on Ebay. Would go great with your black skirt. Probably would not last too long, but for the price, it sure would do for one formal night.

http://cgi.ebay.com/NWT-AFTER-DARK-SHIMMERING-PULLOVER-SIZE-18_W0QQitemZ5473562016QQcategoryZ63868QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

If QVC doesn't sell it, I don't wear it - you can get almost anything at very reasonable prices, including nice, dressy tops. The beaded tops that I've seen on the ships for sale (which I would imagine would be the same type they are also renting) are usually made in India and run very, very small - not sure I would trust my usual size to fit me. That would be my main hesitation about renting. I've been wearing the same pair of black crepe wide-leg pants for more years than I care to think about to various formal affairs with assorted beaded/lace/chiffon tops. No one knows they are the same pants!

I am in the middle of the desert. 100 miles West of Phoenix and 40 miles to the CA/AZ line. Don't even speak to me about UPS. We own a business and some of our customers INSIST on sending paperwork UPS overnight air. Well, overnight to UPS in this area is when the driver feels like driving out here. I deal with this all the time. UPS does NOT make their "substation drivers" deliver all their packages if it will put them into overtime. Guess what-the driver out here cops the overtime thing until he has a lot of packages/letters and feels "it's worth his time to drive out here".

I spent half of last night and since 5 this morning trying to track down an overnight letter, sent from Dallas Friday morning, with a couple of large checks and a large $$$ contract in it. "It is out for delivery"-it has been showing this since Saturday. The truly sad thing-our business is logistics/trucking and we know how the transportation system works. UPS is just so big, they truly do not care about "outlying areas".

Sorry for the rant, but when I saw your post, I just wanted you to know one of the really bad things about "living in the middle of the desert".

But... other than that do you like living in the desert?

You should ship yourself something really stinky (opened inside the box) when it sits around because they are too lazy to deliver it they'll wish they had.

Well, nobody has accused me of being a lady in a looooong time, so I say go ahead and rent the top if it suits you. I would have a look at Ross, Loehmann's, Marshall's or TJ Maxx first, though. You can get some wonderful stuff for not too much money.

My formal wardrobe has grown over the past few years, but I've spent a lot of cruises in the same two outfits.

To the Rosie person: I don't think the OP was concerned about shopping, price or much else, it was the packing part she was trying to figure out.

From time to time there will be people writing horrid things on these boards, as it is so easy to hide behind annonymity. I'll bet they would not dream of saying something like that to a persons face. I actually feel a little bad for them, they must be so unhappy in their own lives as to write terribly rude comments such as that. Pathetic.

Please don't bring up my comments regarding Crocs or Gaucho pants :p .

If QVC doesn't sell it, I don't wear it - you can get almost anything at very reasonable prices, including nice, dressy tops. The beaded tops that I've seen on the ships for sale (which I would imagine would be the same type they are also renting) are usually made in India and run very, very small - not sure I would trust my usual size to fit me. That would be my main hesitation about renting. I've been wearing the same pair of black crepe wide-leg pants for more years than I care to think about to various formal affairs with assorted beaded/lace/chiffon tops. No one knows they are the same pants!

Gerif,

I'm the same way about my black Susan Graver peachskin pants for formal nights. Although I preferred the lighter weight S.G. Sport fabric before she stopped making it. They pack like a dream, minimal wrinkling & goes w/ everything.

I just found this on Ebay. Would go great with your black skirt. Probably would not last too long, but for the price, it sure would do for one formal night.

http://cgi.ebay.com/NWT-AFTER-DARK-SHIMMERING-PULLOVER-SIZE-18_W0QQitemZ5473562016QQcategoryZ63868QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I just bought this top on ebay! I am a little worried that it might not be "formal" enough for the cruise, but I figure for that price, I can wear it with something! It seems like there are a ton of dresses & pants outfits out here, but very few offerings for just the dressier tops. Of course if I was a size 4 I could wear all those cute spaghetti strap tops, but I haven't been that little since I was 5 years old :)

I just bought this top on ebay! I am a little worried that it might not be "formal" enough for the cruise, but I figure for that price, I can wear it with something! It seems like there are a ton of dresses & pants outfits out here, but very few offerings for just the dressier tops. Of course if I was a size 4 I could wear all those cute spaghetti strap tops, but I haven't been that little since I was 5 years old :)

Very pretty top. And a nice price too!

But... other than that do you like living in the desert?

You should ship yourself something really stinky (opened inside the box) when it sits around because they are too lazy to deliver it they'll wish they had.

I absolutely detest it. 47 miles to the crappy grocery store, 67 miles to the great grocery store. 33 miles for gas, 38 miles to the post office. Brown crappy landscaping all around (I find NO beauty in the desert, other than the spring time). But I am away from here almost as much as I am here, so it is tolerable. I am in Missouri and NYC every month and I go to South America four times a year for business.

Out here is very good for my business-I was paying $5000.00 per month in California for rent on a warehouse. I now pay less than $2000.00 mortgage payment for a house with a HUGE (24x48) pool, 10 acres of land and new warehouse I built 5 years ago. And you can't beat the weather in the winter time. DH loves it. My neighbors all love it too-guess it's just me.

Greatam, I can feel for you on the grocery store...how does anything stay cold to get it home.:eek: It isn't like you can grow much in the desert either for fresh vegetables. You've sold me on not buying desert land too far out from civilization. My husband loves the desert too. I'm more of a city girl...like NYC my fav- or Chicago. Although as I get older I'm not too much into the bitter cold so Miami suits me as well.

Well at least you get to get out and be other places.

Great top! I wish I had seen it. I love the color! I'm wearing a similar top only back/silver with a black skirt, for one of my formal nights on my upcoming Brilliance cruise. Have a great time!

Judy

If you wish to rent then why not? It's not about who you are or what you make or if renting makes you a "lady" (and honestly a lady is someone who can speak in a manner that puts others at ease, and not defined by her clothing). If it will work for you then I think it's a good idea.

Do what makes you comfortable. It's not like you will be walking around with a sandwich board advertising that your top is rented.

Gerif,

I'm the same way about my black Susan Graver peachskin pants for formal nights. Although I preferred the lighter weight S.G. Sport fabric before she stopped making it. They pack like a dream, minimal wrinkling & goes w/ everything.

Liv, you gotta try the citinits pants (and other items) - slinky, and absolutely will not wrinkle. I got a four-piece set they had on special last year (pants, tank, long jacket and burn-out poncho) - the pants/tank/poncho looked great for formal night, while the pants/tank/jacket were worn to Portofinos, then wore the pants with a sparkly leopard print top for another dressy night. The pieces can be washed out in the sink and dry very quickly - they also fold down to nothing.

I have a Citiknit tunic but wear it w/ S.G. pants. I found that a C.K. pant & C.K. top tend to hug/stick (for a lack of a better word) my rear end. Since the S.G. pants are "slick", the C.K. tunic doesn't "hang" on the top of my (more than) ample butt. :D

I believe gerif is referring to burn-out velvet. This is the fabric you may be seeing in stores these days that looks like velvet appliqués on a sheer background.

Regarding rudeness by Rosie1, I find the best way to handle these types of people is to ignore them. I think they're doing it for the attention and if nobody replies, they don't get what they wanted.

Archived