Iceland rent a car

lucas34

Hi,

I am planning a cruise to Iceland in the summer. Has anyone rented a car in Akureyri and Reykjavik and what possible tips could you give? I'm not looking for tourist destinations like the Blue Lagoon, but something else entirely.

Driving in Iceland is easy.  Very few roads, they are well signed, and roads are numbered nearly in consecutive order so not hard to figure out where you are going.

On the other hand, roads can be rough and winds are strong and it is easy to damage a car.  It is unlikely your rental will be "pretty".  It is strongly advised to THOROUGHLY document the condition of your car when you pick it up.  Videoing the outside, including roof and windshield is not a waste of time, and do the same when you drop it off so you don't get any nasty surprises down the line.

There are good rental agencies and there are bad ones in Iceland.  Skim this board for the names of those companies, there is also tons of advice on the Iceland board at TripAdvisor

On 1/20/2023 at 3:57 AM, lucas34 said:

Hi,

I am planning a cruise to Iceland in the summer. Has anyone rented a car in Akureyri and Reykjavik and what possible tips could you give? I'm not looking for tourist destinations like the Blue Lagoon, but something else entirely.

Not sure how many days you have, but we did the Ring Road in 10 days several years back and here was our itinerary:

1.  Golden Circle - Thingellir, Geyser, Gullfoss

2.  South Coast day 1- Seljalandsfoss waterfall, Skogar & Skogafoss, Vik & Dyrholaey, Kirkubaejarklaustur, Fjaorargljufurm

3. South Coast day 2 - Skaftafell (do a glacier walk), Svartifoss, Jokulsarlon (lagoon boat), Vatnajokull

4.  Do anything you weren't able to get in the previous two days.  We did a puffin watch on Ingolfshofoi.  Lobster dinner in Hofn.

5.  Eastern fjords- Egilsstadir, Petra's Stones, end day at Myvatin Nature baths.

6.  North Iceland - Dettifoss, Jokulsargljufur, lunar landscapes, Husavik (whale watching)

7.  North Iceland = Akureyri, Godafoss, Skagafjordur, Siglufjordur

8.  Snaelfellsnes Peninsula - Vatnsdalsholar, Stykkisholmur, Kirkjufell

9.  Snaelfellsnes Peninsula - Londrangar, Dritvik Cove, Helena, Vatnshellir cave, end in Reykjavik

10.  Reykjavik

• Like 1

I have no experience with renting a car in Akureyri

- just that it is generally expensive to rent a car in Iceland and it is important to have good damage cover as cars are often damaged by loose stones.

In the north of Iceland, many roads are difficult to pass, so it can take significantly longer to drive a shorter distance than expected.

There are also roads where standard rental cars are not allowed to drive.

We rented a car in Iceland for 10 days to drive the Ring Road and it was great.  That being said, I wouldn't rent a car for a single day at a port of call.  The process of renting the car from Reykjavik took over an hour (and ours was pre-booked).  And as the prior poster says, you are required to chose among a number of insurance coverages such as volcanic ash, gravel, etc. and it can get expensive.  We were sharing costs with another couple and went through a travel agency so ours wasn't so bad.  Iceland is no doubt best experienced by land, but for a port of call I would search the web for good shared or private tours from each port of call.

THOROUGHLY DOCUMENT the condition of the car when you pick it up and when you drop it off to make sure you don't get charged for existing dings and dents that are very easy to get in Iceland.

Renting at the airport is a slow process.  Less onerous in cities/towns.  Blue is the preferred provider on TripAdvisor.  Lagoon and Lotus are also good.  AVOID SIXT and SADCARS.  And definitely consider the insurances.  Do some research on what may already be covered and what you do and do not need.  It depends somewhat on time of year and part of country you are visiting (sand and rock coverage)

• 4 weeks later...

We have rented a car for Reykjavik this September.  We are in port for about 24 hours on the NCL Prima and want to do the Golden Circle etc on our own pace.

Since we have the car for 24 hours, we want to go out late at night to hopefully see the Northern Lights.  My question is if anyone knows where would be better destinations (away from the Reykjavik lights, but not too far) to get that complete darkness needed to see the Aurora Bourealis? 

Or an online resource we could research?

Thanks!

On 23.1.2023 at 20.57, SueMo said:

En ole varma kuinka monta päivää sinulla on, mutta teimme kehätien 10 päivässä useita vuosia sitten ja tässä oli matkasuunnitelmamme:

1. Kultainen ympyrä - Thingellir, Geysir, Gullfoss

2. Etelärannikon päivä 1 - Seljalandsfoss-vesiputous, Skogar & Skogafoss, Vik & Dyrholaey, Kirkubaejarklaustur, Fjaorargljufurm

3. Etelärannikon päivä 2 - Skaftafell (kävely jäätikkölle), Svartifoss, Jokulsarlon (laguunivene), Vatnajokull

4. Tee jotain, mitä et voinut saada kahden edellisen päivän aikana. Teimme lunnikellon Ingolfshofoissa. Hummeri-illallinen Hofnissa.

5. Itävuonot - Egilsstadir, Petra's Stones, lopetuspäivä Myvatinin luontokylpylöissä.

6. Pohjois-Islanti - Dettifoss, Jokulsargljufur, kuun maisemat, Husavik (valaiden katselu)

7. Pohjois-Islanti = Akureyri, Godafoss, Skagafjordur, Siglufjordur

8. Snaelfellsnesin niemimaa - Vatnsdalsholar, Stykkisholmur, Kirkjufell

9. Snaelfellsnesin niemimaa - Londrangar, Dritvik Cove, Helena, Vatnshellirin luola, pääty Reykjavikiin

10. Reykjavik

Hi and thank you so much for your help. There will be 4 ports of call; Akureyri/Isafjordur/Grundafjordur/Reykjavik. We already have car for Akureyri and Reykjavik. We will be only one day per port usually 7/8am - 7/8pm. Isafjordur will be just walking and see the place, I just got some ideas from their tourist office by email. The only place that is still open is Grundafjordur (but no any plan to have car that day).

In Akureyri our plan is to visit Godafoss/Husavik/Namaskard/Myvarn and in Reyjavik our plan is Skogafoss/Sandvik/Hverageroi.

What you think about these places? All information etc. will be more than welcome!

1 hour ago, lucas34 said:

Hi and thank you so much for your help. There will be 4 ports of call; Akureyri/Isafjordur/Grundafjordur/Reykjavik. We already have car for Akureyri and Reykjavik. We will be only one day per port usually 7/8am - 7/8pm. Isafjordur will be just walking and see the place, I just got some ideas from their tourist office by email. The only place that is still open is Grundafjordur (but no any plan to have car that day).

In Akureyri our plan is to visit Godafoss/Husavik/Namaskard/Myvarn and in Reyjavik our plan is Skogafoss/Sandvik/Hverageroi.

What you think about these places? All information etc. will be more than welcome!

I can't help you with Isafjordur or Grundafjordur, as I've never been there.  But the places you plan to go to from Akureyri look good.  Husavik might be a little far away--we were there to take a whale watching excursion--but the other places are good.  Close to Myvatn is Hverfell, with its bubbling mud pits and steaming earth which is a good place to visit.  On your Reykjavik trip, check out Seljalandsfoss with the hidden waterfall beyond it, Gljufrabui, on your way to Skogafoss.  

Have a great trip!

20 hours ago, McGarrett5oh said:

Since we have the car for 24 hours, we want to go out late at night to hopefully see the Northern Lights.  My question is if anyone knows where would be better destinations (away from the Reykjavik lights, but not too far) to get that complete darkness needed to see the Aurora Bourealis?

It doesn't have to complete darkness to see auroras, although minimal light pollution makes it easier to see these. For example one reasonably popular place to see northern lights is around Garður lighthouse in NW tip of Reykjanes peninsula (north of Keflavik airport). Also apart from the city center of Reykjavík, I think Iceland might have fairly light amounts of light pollution.

• Thanks 1

On 2/27/2023 at 10:45 AM, McGarrett5oh said:

We have rented a car for Reykjavik this September.  We are in port for about 24 hours on the NCL Prima and want to do the Golden Circle etc on our own pace.

Or an online resource we could research?

Thanks!

Looking for northern lights in the pitch dark on unfamiliar roads without assistance is a very difficult way to see the lights.  Much as I hate tours for something like this, the drivers are all in contact with each other so if one group sees the lights, everyone sees the lights.  

Trying to do this alone on dark and narrow roads where you better park WAAAY off the road and not in someone's driveway to look from random spots is a good way to lose sleep and get a stiff neck.

We are huge fans of self driving in Iceland.  Just not for Auroras

Sorry to piggy back on your thread Lucas34. However, the info we are seeking is pretty much similar to what you are looking for. We (2 couples, 4 in total) are going on an Icelandic cruise in June this year for the first time. Our ports of call are Akureyri, Isafjordur and Reykjavik. We are docked overnight in Reykjavik, but the other 2 ports we dock at 8AM in the morning and leave around 6PM. We too are looking at guidance on car rentals in each of the 3 ports. There is great and helpful info on this thread, however there are two additional questions that we have:

1.  Many of the car rental sites have several pick-up locations in each of the 3 ports. Could someone please guide us as to the best pick-up location in each of the 3 ports. It'd be best if there was a location fairly close to (walking distance) from each of the 3 ports that we will be visiting.

2.  Suggestions as to where we should try and head to in our hired car in each of the 3 ports that we will be visiting.

Any guidance provided is much appreciated.

13 hours ago, cruise101 said:

Sorry to piggy back on your thread Lucas34. However, the info we are seeking is pretty much similar to what you are looking for. We (2 couples, 4 in total) are going on an Icelandic cruise in June this year for the first time. Our ports of call are Akureyri, Isafjordur and Reykjavik. We are docked overnight in Reykjavik, but the other 2 ports we dock at 8AM in the morning and leave around 6PM. We too are looking at guidance on car rentals in each of the 3 ports. There is great and helpful info on this thread, however there are two additional questions that we have:

1.  Many of the car rental sites have several pick-up locations in each of the 3 ports. Could someone please guide us as to the best pick-up location in each of the 3 ports. It'd be best if there was a location fairly close to (walking distance) from each of the 3 ports that we will be visiting.

2.  Suggestions as to where we should try and head to in our hired car in each of the 3 ports that we will be visiting.

Any guidance provided is much appreciated.

1) If you can tell us where these locations are we who know the cities can opine as to the convenience of each

2)  All depends on what you want to do and who you are (2 couples in their 20s? 50s? 80s?).  Active tours (kayaking, etc), hiking, leisure activities (spas, etc).  Or we can give generic advice. 

Suggest you do a little research before replying to see what your options are and what YOU want to do, not what WE think you should do.

Have rented a car for 10 days and it was spectacular. We rented from the international airport which is Keflavik, it is too far to p.u a rental for your time period. Be advised there is another airport in actual Reykjavik. To my understanding another rental is downtown at the bus terminal.

We have been guaranteed there will be taxi's at port (we also will download the popular company's app for pick up if needed), and have them take us to the car rental location about 10 min from port and absorb the taxis costs into the whole venture (also overnight in Sept).

I contacted Hertz and they said there are no pop up/kiosks at the port for renting or drop off.

Rentals are expensive, tire repairs more!!! Load up the insurance and find out about parking overnight (we arent'). Pack lots of snacks to save $$ and time. The hwy gas stations have the best hotdogs, and you're not experiancing Iceland until you have one!

Driving is easy. Wind is not. And the other guy....wow.... many tourist accidents weekly. Best advice I can give, is insurance, don't push the long distances, and ENJOY!!

• Like 1

I'm not looking for tourist destinations like the Blue Lagoon, but something else entirely.

You don't say what that "something else" might be so difficult/impossible for others  to guess your thoughts. Are you hoping to hike, or ride horses, or whale watch, or do some climbing or kayaking?

I will say that, should you decide against a car rental in Akureyri there are local companies offering shorex which highlight the natural wonders of this area of Iceland. A much easier day with none of the hassles of picking up a car, returning etc. and the rental cost may be higher than you expect it to be.

There have been many past threads about Akureyri, simply use the SEARCH box under your name to find them, but this very recent thread might be of interest to you, although you need to read it through as it doesn't begin that way:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2910739-akureyri-activities/#comment-64715461

And have you checked your Roll Call to see if any others have already set up tours and looking for fellow pax to share?

Alternatively, if you set one up, you could ask on your Roll Call if others want to join you to share the cost.

A fabulous  well recommended by cruise pax in the link above with sights you would not find anywhere else in the world.

As for Reykjavik, if you only have one day there, the Golden Circle is the "must do" #1 tour and offered by multiple companies and as shorex. There is no need to go to the Blue Lagoon should you have no interest. as that is not normally included in a Golden Circle tour due to its location near the airport and the additional time needed.

Edited by edinburgher

• 2 weeks later...

What has not been mentioned regarding your inspection and video documentation of your rental car upon pickup is photographing the windshield from the INSIDE!

We were dinged by Sixt for a starburst found when the agent took a FLASHLIGHT while sitting in the driver's seat and Voila! saw a nearly invisible ding on the windsheild upon our returning the car. 750 euro demanded immediately before we could leave for our flight out of KEF. Luckily our Chase Visa reimbursed us for the entire amount, but the stress at the time was no fun!

On 3/19/2023 at 4:03 PM, TMLAalum said:

What has not been mentioned regarding your inspection and video documentation of your rental car upon pickup is photographing the windshield from the INSIDE!

We were dinged by Sixt for a starburst found when the agent took a FLASHLIGHT while sitting in the driver's seat and Voila! saw a nearly invisible ding on the windsheild upon our returning the car. 750 euro demanded immediately before we could leave for our flight out of KEF. Luckily our Chase Visa reimbursed us for the entire amount, but the stress at the time was no fun!

Sixt is one of the agencies that are strongly recommended AGAINST on the TripAdvisor forum for Iceland and I try to warn folks against here.  There are some very good agencies there and some very bad ones and a bunch in the middle