What would you choose: Light or Location?

tonit964

22 hours ago, tonit964 said:

I'm trying to choose between a 1A with two portholes, cabin 1202 at the very front of the ship or an Interior, deck 8 on the Panorama. I would like the natural light and the sofa in the 1A but it's kinda far from everything. The difference in cost is not an issue. Wish I cold do a balcony but it's not possible this time.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

TIA!

If you're a person that's in your cabin a lot go with the portholes. If you are out and about the ship all the time do deck 8. If you want light in the morning just turn the tv on one of the deck cams before bed and it will lighten the room as the sun comes up.

• Thanks 1

I personally don't understand the desire for porthole rooms. While I like a view of the ocean, a closeup window of it doesn't do justice. Also, being at the bottom of the ship is not an ideal location, and eliminates the practicality of stairs.

Normally, I would choose an interior. The price, darkness, and location is great. However, my last two cruises, I did a balcony because I received a good upgrade offer. Still never used it enough. I can easily think of 10 things off of the top of my head that are more enjoyable about cruising than the cabin type. I don't want to spend my cruise in there.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'd pick the porthole, but I really enjoy having some light in the room from the outdoors.

Not sure if you know about the Panorama elevators, but they are different from other ships.  You select the floor you want to go to and then you'll be told which elevator to go to.  There are no buttons to push in the elevator because it's already been programmed to go to where you selected.  It's supposed to make things quicker.  This might help when thinking about your concern with location.

• Thanks 1

On 1/21/2023 at 4:33 AM, justafem said:

I would have to do the light with the couch.  Seems like such a small thing, but that couch makes all the difference in the comfort of the room to me. Walking an extra 50 feet, not so much.  AND you are close to the elevators, the nonbusy elevators.  That's a HUGE factor. 

And the truth is, ships really are small, you can get from one end to another in 4 minutes and that's if the elevators are running slow.  

I like the natural light in the room, no to try and look out the port holes for a view but when I’m getting ready to go out for the day and for dinner.

16 hours ago, jerseygirlinAZ said:

I'd pick the porthole, but I really enjoy having some light in the room from the outdoors.

Not sure if you know about the Panorama elevators, but they are different from other ships.  You select the floor you want to go to and then you'll be told which elevator to go to.  There are no buttons to push in the elevator because it's already been programmed to go to where you selected.  It's supposed to make things quicker.  This might help when thinking about your concern with location.

Thank you for the info on the elevators. I’ve never been on a ship with these but I’ve been watching videos about the ship. 

On 1/21/2023 at 7:22 AM, Joebucks said:

I personally don't understand the desire for porthole rooms. While I like a view of the ocean, a closeup window of it doesn't do justice. Also, being at the bottom of the ship is not an ideal location, and eliminates the practicality of stairs.

Normally, I would choose an interior. The price, darkness, and location is great. However, my last two cruises, I did a balcony because I received a good upgrade offer. Still never used it enough. I can easily think of 10 things off of the top of my head that are more enjoyable about cruising than the cabin type. I don't want to spend my cruise in there.

for me its the claustrophobia thing..tried an interior once and always felt like I had to escape outa there. Trying a porthole interior on Radiance ( free..so..) and hoping a little bit of natural light will help.That being said, LIGHT for sure. Also have stayed on deck one on panorama a couple of times in ocean view and liked the location 

• Thanks 1

On 1/20/2023 at 8:53 PM, tonit964 said:

I normally book balconies because I spend so much time on them but I’m sailing solo and wanting to go more than once a year so, it’s cost prohibitive for me.

I would rather cruise more in insides than less in balconies. 
I did do a 15 day Hawaii cruise in an inside a few years ago and because of the cabin location, it wasn’t bad. I just won’t be spending much time in the cabin. 
I really want to sail on the Panorama and Carnival in general, I miss it.

This was the reason I booked my recent balcony. With the price of cruising now, I am looking at probably just one or two a year and I wanted to cruise more often, but the interior room just hampered the experience too much for me. 

• Like 1

Thank you to everyone for your input, I appreciate it.

I booked the porthole cabin on Deck 1. Luckily, I don’t have mobility issues so walking isn’t a problem. I really like the natural light and the extra space with the sofa. 
I’m super excited to be on Carnival again!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, tonit964 said:

Thank you to everyone for your input, I appreciate it.

I booked the porthole cabin on Deck 1. Luckily, I don’t have mobility issues so walking isn’t a problem. I really like the natural light and the extra space with the sofa. 
I’m super excited to be on Carnival again!

Good luck on deck 1 forward.  Maybe you'll see Leo since you're basically in steerage. 😁

• Haha 1

I just got off the Panorama on Saturday, two cruises B2B.  On the second leg I was in cabin 1205, which is starboard but in the same area you’re talking about booking.  I loved the porthole cabin.  It was quiet most of the time but when the waves were particularly high I could hear them hitting the side of the ship.  It didn’t bother me at all.  I did hear the anchor when we got to Cabo, but it didn’t surprise me and I considered it my alarm clock for the early arrival in Cabo.  I have a porthole cabin booked for B2B next January on the Panorama.  I highly recommend them.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'm enjoying this thread. Reading it in my porthole as I type. It's true that you do get thruster noise in the morning during docking. No problem; time to get up anyway. And you can get wave breaking at night. Minor relatively infrequent issue. Never any hallway noise is a plus.

The best part? A full fledged OV (yes, except for the type of windows) for an inside price. NO comparison.

• Like 2

Location.  I’m in a 4F interior which is a floor 7 cabin  with a window in the front, underneath the bridge.  It’s Next week.  These are supposedly sought after cabins, although I don’t know why because they don’t have a couch.  

I’m wondering if I will be sorry now.  

I booked last minute and I’d have rather booked midship because I am now afraid that I’m going to be  seasick.  😞

On 1/20/2023 at 7:00 AM, tonit964 said:

I'm trying to choose between a 1A with two portholes, cabin 1202 at the very front of the ship or an Interior, deck 8 on the Panorama. I would like the natural light and the sofa in the 1A but it's kinda far from everything. The difference in cost is not an issue. Wish I cold do a balcony but it's not possible this time.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

TIA!

I was assigned to this cabin just last week. Heading north out of Cabo there was more banging noise than usual when the bow would come back down on the water. It didn't last too long though and people all over the ship from fore to aft and top to bottom reported the sea conditions were unusually strong. TBH the cabin was dusty so I used many wet wipes to deep clean the cabin before settling in and the carpet was extracted with the wet vac at my request.

There were two maintenance situations that I had corrected during the cruise. The switch was out on the bedside night stand and the sink drain stopper wouldn't pop up enough to allow the water to drain quickly. Both reports were attended to in a jiffy and fixed and the lamp switch was replaced with new. Based on this information I think you would be happy in 1202, the deep cleaning has been done for you.

I haven't read the whole thread so I may find out you decided to skip this cabin but someone may find this helpful.

I took this photo through the left porthole just after arriving in Cabo. At the top you can see a knob of steel pointing at the glass. This is an auto-wash system for the portholes that sprays sudsy water and then rinses the suds for a clearer view. When returning to the ship on the tender look forward to where your cabin is located and you will see the steel pipes that are attached to the hull which carry the water to clean your portholes. 🙂 

1202.jpg

Edited by sanmarcosman
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, nwcruiselover said:

I just got off the Panorama on Saturday, two cruises B2B.  On the second leg I was in cabin 1205, which is starboard but in the same area you’re talking about booking.  I loved the porthole cabin.  It was quiet most of the time but when the waves were particularly high I could hear them hitting the side of the ship.  It didn’t bother me at all.  I did hear the anchor when we got to Cabo, but it didn’t surprise me and I considered it my alarm clock for the early arrival in Cabo.  I have a porthole cabin booked for B2B next January on the Panorama.  I highly recommend them.

Thanks, that is reassuring. Luckily, I’m an early riser so it shouldn’t be a problem. 

58 minutes ago, jsglow said:

I'm enjoying this thread. Reading it in my porthole as I type. It's true that you do get thruster noise in the morning during docking. No problem; time to get up anyway. And you can get wave breaking at night. Minor relatively infrequent issue. Never any hallway noise is a plus.

The best part? A full fledged OV (yes, except for the type of windows) for an inside price. NO comparison.

Thanks! Yes, the porthole cabins are a good value. I’d rather cruise more often and be in steerage as some put it, than less often in balconies.

33 minutes ago, sanmarcosman said:

I was assigned to this cabin just last week. Heading north out of Cabo there was more banging noise than usual when the bow would come back down on the water. It didn't last too long though and people all over the ship from fore to aft and top to bottom reported the sea conditions were unusually strong. TBH the cabin was dusty so I used many wet wipes to deep clean the cabin before settling in and the carpet was extracted with the wet vac at my request.

There were two maintenance situations that I had corrected during the cruise. The switch was out on the bedside night stand and the sink drain stopper wouldn't pop up enough to allow the water to drain quickly. Both reports were attended to in a jiffy and fixed and the lamp switch was replaced with new. Based on this information I think you would be happy in 1202, the deep cleaning has been done for you.

I haven't read the whole thread so I may find out you decided to skip this cabin but someone may find this helpful.

I took this photo through the left porthole just after arriving in Cabo. At the top you can see a knob of steel pointing at the glass. This is an auto-wash system for the portholes that sprays sudsy water and then rinses the suds for a clearer view. When returning to the ship on the tender look forward to where your cabin is located and you will see the steel pipes that are attached to the hull which carry the water to clean your portholes. 🙂 

1202.jpg

Oh wow, thank you for all of the detailed information. That picture is awesome.

I always wipe down my cabins with those Lysol wipes but it sounds like you did a much more thorough job. 😁
My cruise isn’t until October and I did end up booking this cabin.. I don’t think I’ll be able to change it if I change my mind because it was a $500 non refundable Cheers offer. 

Im looking forward to it for sure.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, tonit964 said:

Oh wow, thank you for all of the detailed information. That picture is awesome.

You're welcome, my pleasure. I've enjoyed many of your posts here on CC so I was happy to see it was you asking 🙂 We're sailing Radiance this Monday in a 1A so we can then say we've sailed in a 1A cabin on Holiday Class, Destiny Class, Spirit Class, Fantasy Class, Dream Class and Vista Class all in 1A cabins. I see a pattern. Have fun in October.

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, sanmarcosman said:

You're welcome, my pleasure. I've enjoyed many of your posts here on CC so I was happy to see it was you asking 🙂 We're sailing Radiance this Monday in a 1A so we can then say we've sailed in a 1A cabin on Holiday Class, Destiny Class, Spirit Class, Fantasy Class, Dream Class and Vista Class all in 1A cabins. I see a pattern. Have fun in October.

Aww, thank you! I really appreciate all of your knowledgeable posts.

Have a great time on the Radiance!!

• Like 1

On 1/20/2023 at 8:13 AM, tonit964 said:

Does anyone know what the empty space is on the end of the cabin? I’m concerned about noise and don’t know if it’s a crew area or something else. 
Thanks!

Yes, that is a hallway with crew cabins. The door does not slam when opened or closed and I never saw crew in the hallway. There is a round window on the door that reads "Crew Only" so of course I had to look through the glass in case you asked about the empty space 😉 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, sanmarcosman said:

Yes, that is a hallway with crew cabins. The door does not slam when opened or closed and I never saw crew in the hallway. There is a round window on the door that reads "Crew Only" so of course I had to look through the glass in case you asked about the empty space 😉 

Thank you and yes, that was very forward thinking of you to do that for me. 😃

• Haha 1