What Currencies are Needed on a British Isle Cruise

pappy1022

We are looking forward to our rescheduled British Isle cruise in September and I am working through the details. Next on the list is to determine what currencies and how much of each currency we will need for this cruise. Here are our ports Edinburgh, Invergordon, Kirkwall, Ullapool, Killybegs, Belfast, Glasgow, Liverpool, Waterford and St Peter Port. What currencies are required so that we have some cash on hand in each port and how much do you think we might need? I would hope that we could use our credit card for most restaurants, pubs and shopping. We are mostly doing Regent tours but for the one’s where we arranged a private guide, we will be prepaying those online and we can leave a tip online. I would assume that we need to tip the Regent arranged guides with cash directly to them. What is the best (cheapest) method to convert US dollars to X,Y & Z currencies? Can we just get local currencies from ATM’s in those towns? Thank you in advance for your responses. This discussion forum has been so valuable to our planing and ultimately to our experiences and enjoyment on Regent cruises.

Make sure you use a credit card with no international fees.

My debit card, which I only use for ATMs when I travel, reimburses me for all ATM fees anywhere.  That is the best exchange rate if you're using a very large financial institution since they get the best conversion rates.  I open a secondary account with limited funds for the debit card and consolidate it back into my regular account once I'm home.

• Like 1

Credit cards are widely accepted. Make sure you have one that doesn't charge foreign currency fees, but you knew that. You can definitely use your debit/credit card in an ATM if you have a PIN, but the fees can be high. You will still get a better rate than at the airport change booths. Don't let shops charge your card in $USD (a "convenience" that's better for them than for you). Have them charge in the local currency and let the bank do the math.

I always get some currency from my bank before I leave. I request small bills. I keep Euros from one trip to the next, because they can be used in many places (guides who take tips in $USD will often take tips in Euros, too).  Also, the dollar is pretty strong right now, so if you want to sell your GBP and Euros back to your bank later, you might make a small profit 🙂

One thing to be careful of in your Scottish ports is that whilst Scotland uses the British pound they actually produce their own bank notes which are different to those in Wales, England and N Ireland. They are legal currency in the other 3 countries but a lot of shops are reluctant to accept them so if you get any, change them in a bank in the UK as I would think the US banks might not change them for you. Also, all bank notes in the UK should be polymer not paper so make sure you get the 'plasticky' ones 😁 they are also different colours and sizes so it makes it easier to differentiate between them.

image.png.1afa01316d08bbcac3e8fab2bf865ac6.png

BA56F03E-CF15-46E5-867F-A311CD6C378D.jpeg

Guernsey will accept GBP but will provide change in local pounds..  I think you are overthinking this.  In first EU port go to ATM and get Euros.  In first British port stop at ATM and get pounds.  If you run out guides will accept USD for tips.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Techno123 said:

One thing to be careful of in your Scottish ports is that whilst Scotland uses the British pound they actually produce their own bank notes which are different to those in Wales, England and N Ireland. They are legal currency in the other 3 countries but a lot of shops are reluctant to accept them so if you get any, change them in a bank in the UK as I would think the US banks might not change them for you. Also, all bank notes in the UK should be polymer not paper so make sure you get the 'plasticky' ones 😁 they are also different colours and sizes so it makes it easier to differentiate between them.

image.png.1afa01316d08bbcac3e8fab2bf865ac6.png

BA56F03E-CF15-46E5-867F-A311CD6C378D.jpeg

Hi Be aware that Northern Ireland(Belfast) also issue it’s own bank notes. Like Scottish notes you may have difficulty using them in the rest of the UK although they are legal Tender. That aside you will find atms in NI that will dispense Euros.

As mrlevin has said, we accept GBP but change is likely to be given in Guernsey notes and coins. It is perfectly acceptable to ask for your change to be given in GBP but that depends on the establishment that you are at having any. The odd Guernsey pound note can obviously be taken home as a souvenir. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Guerncruising said:

As mrlevin has said, we accept GBP but change is likely to be given in Guernsey notes and coins. It is perfectly acceptable to ask for your change to be given in GBP but that depends on the establishment that you are at having any. The odd Guernsey pound note can obviously be taken home as a souvenir. 

I've got some Isle of Man coins from our British Isles cruise. A pretty cheap souvenir to be sure.