Kuala Lumpur - Ways to get there from the port

sj-cruiser

I'll be on the Westerdam in a couple of weeks and this is one of the stops.  The port is Port Kelang and I've read in another post here people are saying it takes an hour to an hour and a half to get to Kuala Lumpur from the port.  I'm wondering what the options are.  Is there any public transportation (bus, train, etc...)?  Do taxis go there from the port and if so how much and is it easy to get a taxi back to the ship?  How much should one expect to pay for a private car and are there any ways to make sure you have a reliable car and driver?  I generally dislike taking the ship's excursions but sometimes I know those are the best ways to get places while on a cruise.

When I was in Port Klang I chose an excursion with the ship.  I called the traffic situation 'uncertain' and didn't want to risk getting back on time.  I chose an excursion that only consisted of sf transfer to Bukit Bintang, which is a shopping area in Kuala Lumpur.
We took the monorail and subway around the city. 
Personally, I would not consider local transport - it will take the same time as the ship's transfer by bus.

I think it took us at least an hour.   I had arranged a private tour for 6 that picked us up just outside where the ship was. I had really wanted to go to the Batu caves.  We had a wonderful day. We rain into the cruise ship tour while there. Ours was much better and cheaper.   If I remember correctly,  there were taxis and people offering private tours. However, I would make arrangements BEFORE the cruise.

• 9 months later...

I'll have to find out what app or website my wife used but we had a fantastic time in Kuala Lumpur.  We ended up taking a private tour from a guy who used to be a restaurant and hotel manager in the area.  He was amazing and got us to places we might not have known of otherwise.  We got to see lots of different things and places and he made sure to get us back about an hour before we had to be on the ship.  Kuala Lumpur ended up being our favorite stop on the trip other than Singapore where we started and ended the cruise.

I can try to find out if my wife still has his information.

• Like 1

I forgot to mention the reason we went with the private driver is the port stop was extended by 5 hours but the ship excursions were not extended.  We were going to originally go with the excursion to the shopping area because it was an easy way to get there and back without risking missing the ship.  However when they didn't extend the excursions for the longer time in port we decided it was worth getting a private driver.