Celebrity excursions in Mazatlán & Cabo

BonineAddict

Hello,

My husband, parents, and I will be on the Celebrity Solstice Mexican Rivera cruise, Feb 4-11, 2023. We can't wait! 

The cruise will stop in Mazatlán, Cabo, and San Diego. 

Some questions about the Celebrity excursions for this trip. Has anyone been on the following tours in Mazatlán and/or Cabo?

• Mazatlán Highlights Express
  • Cabo Sightseeing Tour 

How did you like it? Did your tour in a van or coach bus? Did you feel safe? My parents are older, and I want to ensure they are comfortable and safe.

Thank you!

I hope you will post a review. We follow you on March 4th but we don’t have a stop in San Diego. I can’t answer your questions re the excursions you mention except to say that we are doing the Celebrity Segway tour in Mazatlan. Came across this as a result of reviews on another trip website that advises about lots of Celebrity excursions. 

Edited by Georgia_Peaches
  • Like 1

I generally avoid those types of cruise and found you can probably do much better booking your own.  We did a B2B last month.

In Mazatlan I did the  Kayaking Trip to Dear Island solo and had a fantastic time - 8 in our group.

Second trip we hiked to the top of the Lighthouse peak on our own.   Again now sure why anyone would do that and pay for it.

Cabo -   We did the 4 wheel off road on our first visit but great fun -  expensive for the photos.

Second trip we did a private Whale Watching excursion - about 8 on trip all from our ship.   Best whale watching we ever had.   Cabo Whale Watching was the name of the company.   Included in the fare was a link to all the photos the photographer took.   Your given a link to download.   She even took photos of us and the other passengers with the Arc when we came in close.   

• Like 1

We were in Mazatlán and Cabo last month. We did the Highlights tour in Mazatlan and Dolphin Swim in Cabo. 

The highlights tour gave me a good overview of the area ( I had never been to the west coast of Mexico). We felt safe. The guide was very good, he definitely made the tour worthwhile. 

I know you didn’t ask about the Dolphin Swim but I’ll quickly comment. It was really enjoyable and I would absolutely do it again.  Anyone could participate as long as they don’t mind getting in the water. Only one note - they take pictures and to purchase the set it was $234 😳 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mrgabriel said:

We were in Mazatlán and Cabo last month. We did the Highlights tour in Mazatlan and Dolphin Swim in Cabo. 

The highlights tour gave me a good overview of the area ( I had never been to the west coast of Mexico). We felt safe. The guide was very good, he definitely made the tour worthwhile. 

I know you didn’t ask about the Dolphin Swim but I’ll quickly comment. It was really enjoyable and I would absolutely do it again.  Anyone could participate as long as they don’t mind getting in the water. Only one note - they take pictures and to purchase the set it was $234 😳 

Thank you for your reply! For Mazatlán Highlights, did you tour in a coach bus or van? The description on the Celebrity site doesn't specify and I emailed Celebrity excursions, but haven't heard back from them yet. I'm going to assume a coach bus?   

Edited by BonineAddict

I did the Cabo sightseeing tour last week. It was okay, although mostly just driving the narrow streets of Cabo and then going on a long highway drive to San Jose del Cabo, where you visit a plaza full of tourist shops and a small mission church. The guide spoke very poor English and the narration mostly consisted of what stars stayed at what expensive resort or condo. I think a more memorable visit is a boat tour, particularly one that goes out to see whales close-up. I took my mother on one a few years ago, with an open bar and photos taken of families with the rock arch in the background, and she loved it. Cabo itself is a party town full of resorts and condos, without any great natural beauty, so I’d do a boat tour. For elderly people, a bus tour of Mazatlan is fine. For anyone else, I highly recommend an e-bike tour that visits downtown and the beach bike path and is fun—the guide arranged an up-close, personal cliff diver show. Celebrity doesn’t offer it, so you can google it—the company operates several cheaper tours out of the port building. Instead of a bus tour, you might hire a pulmonia, a sort of motorized golf cart that’s fun to ride in. There’s a list of fares at the port exit, and plenty of drivers who would be eager to give you a tour for a negotiated price. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, BonineAddict said:

Thank you for your reply! For Mazatlán Highlights, did you tour in a coach bus or van? The description on the Celebrity site doesn't specify and I emailed Celebrity excursions, but haven't heard back from them yet. I'm going to assume a coach bus?   

It was on an open air bus. Our bus was really just a bus with no windows. Other buses for similar tours were more like trollers. All were open air. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

I would do a Cabo whale watching excursion ...

It was the highlight of our vacation.   I was surprised Celebrity didn't offer one.   I should have said it was really safe and easy for a senior.   One guest had his mother with him who had fallen and broken her arm on the first day of the cruise and was able to easily get on and off the small boat. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

It was the highlight of our vacation.   I was surprised Celebrity didn't offer one.   I should have said it was really safe and easy for a senior.   One guest had his mother with him who had fallen and broken her arm on the first day of the cruise and was able to easily get on and off the small boat. 

It was also the highlight of our cruise.  When pulling out of port we could also see whales spouting off in the distance from the cruise ship.

• Like 1