Responses from Celebrity?

D C

1 hour ago, TowandaUK said:

My email to the executive office majored on the fact that there were major changes brought in but no communication to passengers about this. To say I was underwhelmed by what happened next was an understatement. First of all my daughter received a phone message from X regarding it. My daughter does not live with us and has a different name and phone number. Her only contact with celebrity was as an emergency contact number on our last cruise. I emailed them asking them not to contact her again. I then received a missed call and message at 10pm when I was getting ready for bed!  They clearly had not taken onboard that I am in the UK and there is a time difference. The message asked me to ring them back. No way was I making an international call when I had already set out my concerns in an email. I emailed this to them. I then received a call the next day. The lady I spoke to apologised that we had not been informed of the changes and assured me that the correct info was on the app. It wasn’t and the app still states that room service is complimentary some 26 days after the changes were made. The lady told me that the changes were made to bring X into line with other lines. I made the point that X charges extra as a modern luxury line and we were being brought into line with inferior lines but at a higher price. She did say that X wanted feedback so they could gauge opinions of the changes. 
I did then receive another call the next day from the UK office who apparently had no idea that the exec office had been in touch although clearly it was the exec office that asked her to call. 
I can’t honestly say that I am impressed or reassured by this. We shall go on our cruise in June and will report back to X the good and the not so good aspects of the cruise. 

Thank you for sharing!

Their lack of ability to even contact you appropriately is not very reassuring.   And to say that the cutbacks are bringing them in line with other cruises is preposterous.  Would be curious to know what cruise lines they think they're competing with.  

• Like 4

10 hours ago, manmachine said:

The experience isn’t today what it was then.  Even in Blu. And I am afraid it is going to be much worse before our 12 night in Aqua and Scandinavia gets here.

Well, I really hope you are wrong. Our last cruise was in July on the Edge we had Aqua Class and this was our 65th cruise our first was in 1982. I have to say it was the best cruise ship we have been on, food, wine and service were wonderful along with the entertainment. Look at the prices of hotels in London or Amsterdam and all you get is a room nothing else. Even where I live an oceanfront hotel will run $450.00 to over $1,000.00 a night so I see value in cruising. I have 3 upcoming cruises and looked at every cruise line and Celebrity was the best value for what I wanted. Yes, the price has gone way up and for me, a suite is out of the question with today's pricing I can be just as happy in any stateroom.   

• Like 1

On 1/26/2023 at 7:58 PM, D C said:

Thank you for sharing!

Their lack of ability to even contact you appropriately is not very reassuring.   And to say that the cutbacks are bringing them in line with other cruises is preposterous.  Would be curious to know what cruise lines they think they're competing with.  

https://www.forbes.com/sites/forbestravelguide/2023/01/12/how-celebrity-is-elevating-cruising-to-resorts-at-sea/?sh=6385dbe10547

In college I worked in the reservations call center for a major hotel chain.  We had a phone number to give to people who insisted on talking to the executive office.  The area code was one that matched the location of the executive office.  When people called it, the call routed right back to the same call center I was in, several thousand miles away from the executive office.  There were agents trained to handle such calls.  They got to sit in an area with higher cubicle walls, and they'd raise a flag when they were on so everyone knew to be quieter when walking by.  When not handling those, they were answering regular calls like the rest of us.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

You know where I've had the best luck????? Twitter, by far. They are responsive plus they get back to you fairly quickly and can solve most problems or answer most questions. DM them at @CelebrityCruise. Be sure to give your name and reservation number when contacting them. When I say DM I mean private message them, don't post to their open forum. You don't want your info going out to the entire world.

• Thanks 2

6 hours ago, southernbreezes said:

Omg, that reads like a Celebrity-paid infomercial script.  I guess people must believe that Daniel Boulud is in the galley, blessing their food before it's served. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

4 minutes ago, D C said:

Omg, that reads like a Celebrity-paid infomercial script.  I guess people must believe that Daniel Boulud is in the galley, blessing their food before it's served. 

Is it Boulud who selected the tilapia,  turkey,  and sirloin?  He must work for Sizzler. 🙂

Edited by NMTraveller
  • Like 3
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, D C said:

Agreed. Bringing up Boulud after he's been around X for what, 3 years or more?? 'Article' is simply PR attempt to get positive media coverage...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, D C said:

The "article" came out on 1/12, right as the changes were coming to light.  This is 100% a PR pushed article.  Get a high profile publication to publish a fluff piece to try and draw new cruisers to potentially replace frequent frustrated cruisers who are mad about the changes.  This is aimed at a non-cruiser luxury market.  I literally laughed out loud when this article dropped given what we know is actually going on!

Edited by bonagrad
  • Like 6

2 minutes ago, bonagrad said:

The "article" came on on 1/12, right as the changes were coming to light.  This is 100% a PR pushed article.  Get a high profile publication to publish a fluff piece to try and draw new cruisers to potentially replace frequent frustrated cruisers who are mad about the changes.  This is aimed at a non-cruiser luxury market.  I literally laughed out loud when this article dropped given what we know is actually going on!

I am a frequent cruiser and in fact cruising on a Celebrity ship now.  The overall cruise product has changed over the years.  Some changes better and some worse.  During the pandemic days when cruising stopped I definitely missed it.  But I also learned that there were many other vacation choices to spend my money.  I took off my “cruise-only rose colored glasses”.  I did different things and enjoyed them as much as cruising.   For those mad about the current Celebrity cruise product (including new ships) just spend your money elsewhere and find something you will enjoy.  I would never go on a cruise thinking in advance that I will be disappointed.  What is the point?

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, TeeRick said:

I am a frequent cruiser and in fact cruising on a Celebrity ship now.  The overall cruise product has changed over the years.  Some changes better and some worse.  During the pandemic days when cruising stopped I definitely missed it.  But I also learned that there were many other vacation choices to spend my money.  I took off my “cruise-only rose colored glasses”.  I did different things and enjoyed them as much as cruising.   For those mad about the current Celebrity cruise product (including new ships) just spend your money elsewhere and find something you will enjoy.  I would never go on a cruise thinking in advance that I will be disappointed.  What is the point?

I agree, easy to spend your money elsewhere and no point in paying for something you think will disappoint.

Not so easy to spend your money elsewhere when you have already prepaid your money for a cruise months before Celebrity implemented all of the current cutbacks.  

Edited by randomcruise
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2

22 minutes ago, randomcruise said:

I agree, easy to spend your money elsewhere pick and no point in paying for something you think will disappoint.

Not so easy to spend your money elsewhere when you has already prepaid your money for a cruise months before Celebrity implemented all of the current cutbacks.  

Absolutely! Next month, we are flying to the South Pacific/Australia/New Zealand for a five cruise, five flight, seven hotel, twenty-nine tour, eighty-two day trip. Almost all of this was pre-paid before X instituted the new fees and cutbacks. 

We are going in hoping not to be disappointed, but well aware that we might be, based on current reports. We will reevalute our other six booked X cruises after these. 

We spent decades living very, very frugally in order to have the retirement of our dreams. We are determined to enjoy it. We hope that cruising with Celebrity will continue to be something that we enjoy. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 5

54 minutes ago, randomcruise said:

I agree, easy to spend your money elsewhere and no point in paying for something you think will disappoint.

Not so easy to spend your money elsewhere when you have already prepaid your money for a cruise months before Celebrity implemented all of the current cutbacks.  

Yes that was our current situation.  But honestly we have really been enjoying the cruise and other than the OVC cutbacks for dinner (which we don’t do anyway) the overall cruise has been pretty normal.  But we are in a suite so we don’t use the MDR either.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, TeeRick said:

I am a frequent cruiser and in fact cruising on a Celebrity ship now.  I would never go on a cruise thinking in advance that I will be disappointed.  What is the point?

Great post.  😎

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, TiredofTheGame said:

And I can tell you that in its best day, Celebrity is no Seabourn

9 hours ago, TiredofTheGame said:

MSC's Yacht Club (a luxury ship within a ship experience) prices out about $400 per person/day

I would say Seabourn is no Celebrity. Seabourn is a boring Cruise line. I have clients and neighbors who cruise with them they are also boring golf all day, eat at the club, go home watch the golf channel in bed at 9:00.  The ships are just too small to offer what Celebrity ships have look at the pool deck its depressing, no Solarium pool area. Celebrity offers over 39 restaurants and bars. We do not cruise just for the food but for Luminum it's very good you want better Eden is excellent. We have a butler who I can call from the pool at the end of a long day and she will have a bubble bath and a glass of wine ready for my wife when we return to our suite. The butler is available 24/7 for whatever I want.

MCS I have no idea what cruise you are pricing out but I compared April 2023 a 12-night Northern Europe cruise Yacht Club deluxe suite 312' and it was $9,518 or about $800.00 a night.

I booked a 15-night Northern Europe on Celebrity Apex the Retreat Celebrity Suite 460' and it is $13,909 about $900.00 a night.

Some of you are cute in your outrage. Perplexed that your letter didn't receive a personal apology from the CEO, followed by a policy reversal.

Change can happen absolutely based on feedback. However, it's around trends. If it significantly affects their bottom line, they will rethink (probably making different cuts). Stop getting so worked up that your individual feedback didn't change the world. 

Generally, large companies have extensive experience in change management. The majority of changes affect a smaller portion of customers, with a disproportionately larger cost. They know there's going to be backlash. They aren't stupid. They're betting that most either don't care or get over it. The people you are talking to, who you think are going to change the world, are trained to repeat the corporate speak.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, southernbreezes said:

I would say Seabourn is no Celebrity. Seabourn is a boring Cruise line. I have clients and neighbors who cruise with them they are also boring golf all day, eat at the club, go home watch the golf channel in bed at 9:00.  The ships are just too small to offer what Celebrity ships have look at the pool deck its depressing, no Solarium pool area. Celebrity offers over 39 restaurants and bars. We do not cruise just for the food but for Luminum it's very good you want better Eden is excellent. We have a butler who I can call from the pool at the end of a long day and she will have a bubble bath and a glass of wine ready for my wife when we return to our suite. The butler is available 24/7 for whatever I want.

MCS I have no idea what cruise you are pricing out but I compared April 2023 a 12-night Northern Europe cruise Yacht Club deluxe suite 312' and it was $9,518 or about $800.00 a night.

I booked a 15-night Northern Europe on Celebrity Apex the Retreat Celebrity Suite 460' and it is $13,909 about $900.00 a night.

Are those price per person per night 😱

I usually book in the $100 pp per night range 🤣

9D5A3C68-5F1F-4FC0-BF9C-7E5FCF983A83.gif

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Joebucks said:

Some of you are cute in your outrage. Perplexed that your letter didn't receive a personal apology from the CEO, followed by a policy reversal.

Change can happen absolutely based on feedback. However, it's around trends. If it significantly affects their bottom line, they will rethink (probably making different cuts). Stop getting so worked up that your individual feedback didn't change the world. 

Generally, large companies have extensive experience in change management. The majority of changes affect a smaller portion of customers, with a disproportionately larger cost. They know there's going to be backlash. They aren't stupid. They're betting that most either don't care or get over it. The people you are talking to, who you think are going to change the world, are trained to repeat the corporate speak.

In general I agree with you.  But the combined, consistent feedback of many individuals on a single issue sometimes has the intended effect.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Joebucks said:

51 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

In general I agree with you.  But the combined, consistent feedback of many individuals on a single issue sometimes has the intended effect.

Exactly!  It's the collective response, which is why people should speak up.  Cruise lines often reverse course based on a large amount of customer feedback.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TeeRick said:

Don't know if it's a fluke, but the Celebrity app is showing many of the previous "Signature" selections being restored on the current menus for today's Jan. 29th sailing of the Beyond and for next weeks Feb. 5th sailing of the Beyond.  If those are menus are accurate/real, it is a very welcome response from Celebrity.

• Like 2