Contemplating Viking - Questions

Rick&Jeannie

The “mechanics” of AirPlus…

1. Call Viking Air department and ask questions about Air Plus.

2. If you want the service, you will be charged the fee, $100-150 pp. It can be added after booking the cruise, up to a certain date . ( 75 days prior?)

3. I use google flights to research flight options, then have my favorites ready before I talk to air plus. As mentioned, not every airline or flight has seats on the Viking contract. 
4. If you want to change flights or dates, call your Air+ contact anytime. There might be an up charge for new flights.
I think the new MVJ flight change option is to alleviate some of the phone line congestion. The change fees are shown on the site. 
5. I’ve selected seats on MVJ  but prefer to use the actual airline websites. Some allow selections and upgrades before ticketing, Delta has been easy. 

[ I’ve used Viking Air Plus each time I’ve booked air through Viking, but I also have booked air independently. If dates line up with the cruise or extension, you can purchase Viking airport transfers.]

Since this is your first Viking experience, I again suggest that you call to book the cruise or use a TA to help with your questions. Hope you enjoy Viking. 

Edited by CDR2001

1 hour ago, CDR2001 said:

The “mechanics” of AirPlus…

1. Call Viking Air department and ask questions about Air Plus.

2. If you want the service, you will be charged the fee, $100-150 pp. It can be added after booking the cruise, up to a certain date . ( 75 days prior?)

3. I use google flights to research flight options, then have my favorites ready before I talk to air plus. As mentioned, not every airline or flight has seats on the Viking contract. 
4. If you want to change flights or dates, call your Air+ contact anytime. There might be an up charge for new flights.
I think the new MVJ flight change option is to alleviate some of the phone line congestion. The change fees are shown on the site. 
5. I’ve selected seats on MVJ  but prefer to use the actual airline websites. Some allow selections and upgrades before ticketing, Delta has been easy. 

[ I’ve used Viking Air Plus each time I’ve booked air through Viking, but I also have booked air independently. If dates line up with the cruise or extension, you can purchase Viking airport transfers.]

Since this is your first Viking experience, I again suggest that you call to book the cruise or use a TA to help with your questions. Hope you enjoy Viking. 

Many thanks! That was some great info.

• Like 1

A benefit of purchasing air plus, is that you get to select your flights as soon as booking cruise and filling out "Guest Information Form".  You also get to call a V air plus agent to discuss options.  Otherwise, V assign flights around 120 days out (correct me, if not right).  At that time your preferred routing, airline, seats may not be available. You then -- on MVJ -- can change flights /seats if available, with possible extra fee.

I used air plus last 2 cruises, and recommend it.  For last cruise, I changed routing (on MVJ) after 1st selecting pair.  I changed outbound flight date and city -- requiring a deviation fee ($100pp).  You forfeit transfer.  All was easy to do.  You also can select/change seats on MVJ -- Air plus not required.

• Like 1

I’m fortunate as living close to Newark airport, I rarely need Air Plus since so many international flights leave from EWR. All Star Alliance flights show up early on my United Mileage Plus account - months before they are posted in MVJ. 2 months ago, I notice flights were posted for my  May 27 BIE cruise. The flights and times assigned were horrible - plus we are traveling with neighbors and wanted to assure our flights were coordinated. So I called Air Plus and got great flights with seats a row apart for the other couple. The original flight would have had us boarding the ship around midnight - and I couldn’t imagine eating getting unpacked, then up early for an excursion. Other those flights, every other flight arrangement was done without Air Plus and had good times and usually no layovers.

1 hour ago, Squawkman said:

I’m fortunate as living close to Newark airport, I rarely need Air Plus since so many international flights leave from EWR. All Star Alliance flights show up early on my United Mileage Plus account - months before they are posted in MVJ. 2 months ago, I notice flights were posted for my  May 27 BIE cruise. The flights and times assigned were horrible - plus we are traveling with neighbors and wanted to assure our flights were coordinated. So I called Air Plus and got great flights with seats a row apart for the other couple. The original flight would have had us boarding the ship around midnight - and I couldn’t imagine eating getting unpacked, then up early for an excursion. Other those flights, every other flight arrangement was done without Air Plus and had good times and usually no layovers.

I'm sure the use of the word "fortunate" is dependent on exactly how close you live to EWR. 😁

• Haha 2

On 1/22/2023 at 4:07 PM, Rick&Jeannie said:

Interested in this as well.  I've got so much to catch up on as far as Viking goes!

Me too!  I'm not a noob to cruising either, but planning our first Viking cruising also, we are doing an Ocean voyage. soooo much to learn!

7 hours ago, red4u2 said:

Me too!  I'm not a noob to cruising either, but planning our first Viking cruising also, we are doing an Ocean voyage. soooo much to learn!

Welcome to Viking! Lots of good answers in this thread to get you started and in post #6 I provided a link to a great thread with lots of advice for Viking Virgins. 

have a great cruise!

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Clay Clayton said:

Welcome to Viking! Lots of good answers in this thread to get you started and in post #6 I provided a link to a great thread with lots of advice for Viking Virgins. 

have a great cruise!

Thank you Clay!

• Like 1