Arvia naming ceremony 16th March

Colsers

We received an email from P&O inviting us to celebrate the naming ceremony of Arvia on the beach in Barbados with entertainment on the 16th March. On checking again our itinerary we are at sea on that day and arriving in Barbados on the 17th March. Is this invitation just for a broadcast of this onboard, which seems strange to name the ship whilst its actually at sea but arriving the next day?

• Like 1

Arvia was always due in St Lucia on 15th, and Barbados on 17/18th.

The events are due to take place with the ship at Anchor within sight of the beach. I imagine the ship will be in position by lunchtime.

Its about 100nm between the both. Therefore Arvia can leave St Lucia at 8pm and still be in position for midday on 16th by travelling at an average speed of less than 10 knots.

(Given timings, and only one Marella ship in Bridgetown that day, it would even be possible for Arvia into Barbados for anyone getting off the ship for the festivities). 

Therefore it should not interrupt you holiday

• Thanks 1

I'm on this same cruise as you, I haven't heard off P & O re the naming ceremony yet but did know that it was on 16th march. It's my first cruise and really looking forward to cruise and naming ceremony. I'm curious if P & O gave you any more details on the naming ceremony? Kind regards

Hi Paula, no, we haven't heard anything new, just the email back on 6th December which did say further details to follow. Nothing updated yet. I just thought it was odd that the itinerary had us at sea that day after St. Lucia port. However as molecrochip has said, we could make it to Barbados waters by midday on the 16th for the ceremony? I would have thought our itinerary would be updated though as being in Barbados 16th, 17th and 18th. I'm just hoping we can go ashore to the beach to see it in person rather on screens.

Hi Colsers if you google 'Arvia Naming Ceremony' there are quite a few articles about it.

Details of Arvia’s Naming Ceremony Released — Cruise Lowdown

For the first time, P&O Cruises will hold a beachside extravaganza naming ceremony in Barbados to mark the naming of the spectacular new sunshine ship Arvia. There will be star-studded entertainment featuring some of Britain’s most popular performers and presenters in what promises to be an unforgettable show. The whole show will be broadcast live online on Thursday 16 March 2023 so you can dress up, get together with family and friends, and enjoy it all at home. 

Ludlow said the ship will be positioned off one of the island’s most stunning beaches so the audience at home will be able to see the interior design of the ship as well as the performances and events taking place on the shore. It has been promised to be an unmissable event. P&O Cruises have said that the names of performers will be announced in the coming months.

I'm hoping we will be allowed off ship to join the beachside party!

1 hour ago, jeanlyon said:

How ridiculous to have a naming ceremony after the ship has been sailing for 2 months!

Why, all cruise ships nowadays have been sailing for a few months, during sea trials before the official handover, so why does it matter when the naming ceremony takes place?

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Paula2023 said:

Hi Colsers if you google 'Arvia Naming Ceremony' there are quite a few articles about it.

Details of Arvia’s Naming Ceremony Released — Cruise Lowdown

For the first time, P&O Cruises will hold a beachside extravaganza naming ceremony in Barbados to mark the naming of the spectacular new sunshine ship Arvia. There will be star-studded entertainment featuring some of Britain’s most popular performers and presenters in what promises to be an unforgettable show. The whole show will be broadcast live online on Thursday 16 March 2023 so you can dress up, get together with family and friends, and enjoy it all at home. 

Ludlow said the ship will be positioned off one of the island’s most stunning beaches so the audience at home will be able to see the interior design of the ship as well as the performances and events taking place on the shore. It has been promised to be an unmissable event. P&O Cruises have said that the names of performers will be announced in the coming months.

I'm hoping we will be allowed off ship to join the beachside party!

Ooh beginning to get excited, I wonder who the entertainers will be......yes definitely want to get off!

Colsers, I have emailed P & O for actual port arrival and departure times for our dates so I will post 

on here when they reply. Maybe it will throw more light on it, who knows! I want to know them anyway so I can plan my own excursions if I want.

1 hour ago, Colsers said:

Cheap Cava more like 😂

IMO P&O 'champagne' is manufactured down in the 'bowels' of the ship. The Elderflower Presse is OK. I will have to force down the free half bottle and luckily last time the couple next door had their wedding anniversary so I gave it to them 😈

• Like 1

12 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

Why, all cruise ships nowadays have been sailing for a few months, during sea trials before the official handover, so why does it matter when the naming ceremony takes place?

Sea trials are not the same as doing actual cruises.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

Or in the the case of Arvia a few weeks, it did leave shipyard until 5 November.so just a few weeks

Edited by Snow Hill

3 minutes ago, happy v said:

Just a thought. If the ceremony is on the beach, and the ship at sea. It's going to take a rather fit person to chuck the bottle of champagne and break it!🤣

You will need to use the app, and activate the virtual bottle throwing feature.😁

• Haha 6