2 questions about your favorites

yoshi

The newer the ship, the more accessible it should be.  But I don’t mean it has to be brand new, or less than five years.  Most 20 years or less will be pretty good.  It’s the oldies but goodies that have been sold off to other lines you have to watch out for.  But then there may be a problem in that the best cruise line may not go to the most accessible places.  Or not with all of their ships.  You need to be more specific as to where you want to go.  EM

We are not new to cruising but new to DH using a walker and transport chair aboard ship.

Our favorite lines have been Celebrity for ocean and AMA for river, but we are just starting out trying to travel with some mobility limitations. We are realizing that we should probably book independent tours rather than ship tours. I know that cruises with tender ports are not recommended for disabled but was hoping to read about positive experiences with certain cruiselines or destinations that are easier for a disabled person to navigate.

I am a 99% full time wheelchair.  I can do transfers and walk three or four steps provided  I'm wearing my braces.  We have not traveled on all of the cruise ships by any stretch of the imagination. We have pretty much settled on celebrity S and E class.  The primary reason is power doors for the cabin and all outdoor access points.  While it is possible for me to Open a cabin door it is very difficult. With celebrities accessible cabins on S or E class simply insert key card and the door opens. Sounds like a little thing but it makes a big difference to me.  Obviously a tender port is out of the question for me. However we will take a Cruise that has a tender port if my wife wants to see that location she can take a tour. Honestly it's kind of fun to run around the ship what is 99% empty.  .In most Caribbean ports celebrity offers an accessible tour.  

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Mosttoyswin said:

I am a 99% full time wheelchair.  I can do transfers and walk three or four steps provided  I'm wearing my braces.  We have not traveled on all of the cruise ships by any stretch of the imagination. We have pretty much settled on celebrity S and E class.  The primary reason is power doors for the cabin and all outdoor access points.  While it is possible for me to Open a cabin door it is very difficult. With celebrities accessible cabins on S or E class simply insert key card and the door opens. Sounds like a little thing but it makes a big difference to me.  Obviously a tender port is out of the question for me. However we will take a Cruise that has a tender port if my wife wants to see that location she can take a tour. Honestly it's kind of fun to run around the ship what is 99% empty.  .In most Caribbean ports celebrity offers an accessible tour.  

Can I use a walker to get on and off a tender?

17 hours ago, Mosttoyswin said:

Thank you Mosttoyswin,

We did a short cruise out of Los Angeles earlier this month but DH did not get off the ship for a tour. We had a regular balcony so maybe we should book the accessible cabin if available, that would make it easier for him to get around if I take an excursion. 

Does Celebrity offer to have any help for persons in wheelchairs exiting the ship off the ramps at each docked port? They were very helpful with assistance upon embarkation and debarkation.

3 hours ago, yoshi said:

We had a regular balcony so maybe we should book the accessible cabin if available, that would make it easier for him to get around if I take an excursion. 

Does Celebrity offer to have any help for persons in wheelchairs exiting the ship off the ramps at each docked port? They were very helpful with assistance upon embarkation and debarkation.

If you want to book an accessible stateroom, you will need to do it sooner rather than later.   The fill up fast.  

Make sure you contact Celebrity's Access Department and advise that you will be bringing mobility equipment.    https://www.celebritycruises.com/special-needs

There will be Celebrity employees at the ramp to assist those needing assistance up or down the ramp.  Don't try to use the ramp without them; wait for them if they're not right there. 

From  Celebrity's website:  Many ports provide easy access for wheelchairs and scooters, however due to various conditions: steepness of the gangway, tendering, weather, tidal and sea conditions, and shore-side facilities, guests using assistive devices may be precluded from getting on or off the ship.  We will make reasonable efforts to assist our guests, but for safety reasons, our staff is not permitted to lift guests or equipment. Assistance with manual wheelchairs, walkers, canes, etc. will be provided.

6 hours ago, kokopelli-az said:

If you want to book an accessible stateroom, you will need to do it sooner rather than later.   The fill up fast.  

Make sure you contact Celebrity's Access Department and advise that you will be bringing mobility equipment.    https://www.celebritycruises.com/special-needs

There will be Celebrity employees at the ramp to assist those needing assistance up or down the ramp.  Don't try to use the ramp without them; wait for them if they're not right there. 

From  Celebrity's website:  Many ports provide easy access for wheelchairs and scooters, however due to various conditions: steepness of the gangway, tendering, weather, tidal and sea conditions, and shore-side facilities, guests using assistive devices may be precluded from getting on or off the ship.  We will make reasonable efforts to assist our guests, but for safety reasons, our staff is not permitted to lift guests or equipment. Assistance with manual wheelchairs, walkers, canes, etc. will be provided.

Thank you Kokopelli-az, I can usually push the wheelchair if necessary but sometimes the ramps are steep so its nice to know they will help. Do you just ask at the exit area or would I need to contact a certain department ahead of time?

26 minutes ago, yoshi said:

Thank you Kokopelli-az, I can usually push the wheelchair if necessary but sometimes the ramps are steep so its nice to know they will help. Do you just ask at the exit area or would I need to contact a certain department ahead of time?

Stand at the ramp.   They will come to you.   The crew is waiting to help.  If one of the crew us not there to immediately assist, a supervisor will call them over.   

11 hours ago, kokopelli-az said:

Stand at the ramp.   They will come to you.   The crew is waiting to help.  If one of the crew us not there to immediately assist, a supervisor will call them over.   

Thank you, it is good to know that we can keep cruising and Celebrity is probably the best fit for us still.

On 1/22/2023 at 4:24 PM, yoshi said:

We are not new to cruising but new to DH using a walker and transport chair aboard ship.

Our favorite lines have been Celebrity for ocean and AMA for river, but we are just starting out trying to travel with some mobility limitations. We are realizing that we should probably book independent tours rather than ship tours. I know that cruises with tender ports are not recommended for disabled but was hoping to read about positive experiences with certain cruiselines or destinations that are easier for a disabled person to navigate.

I tendered in Santa Barbara last fall with my walker.  I had no problems except I unknowingly wheeled through some dog poo and didn't realize it till we got back to the ship.  Fortunately, my daughter had a pack of wet wipes and we cleaned it up before tracking all over the place.  I will be extra diligent about that in the future. 

20 hours ago, darstamp said:

I tendered in Santa Barbara last fall with my walker.  I had no problems except I unknowingly wheeled through some dog poo and didn't realize it till we got back to the ship.  Fortunately, my daughter had a pack of wet wipes and we cleaned it up before tracking all over the place.  I will be extra diligent about that in the future. 

ohhh, ick! sorry that happened to you & shame on the dog's owner for leaving a mess on the sidewalk.

I am not sure if DH can make the step into and out of the tender boats so we may have to skip Santa Barbara on the CA Coastal cruise