Just off a Wonderful Cruise on Escape

BenDover

Just spent 7 days on NCL Escape. This was my 4th NCL Cruise and my second on Escape.

Some notes on my wonderful cruise:

I drove down from Georgia and arrived at Port Canaveral for my 9:30 reserved time. Check in went smooth, however boarding was delayed due to the ship getting in late (so I was told), Actual boarding did not start until 11:30. At one point they suspended checking people in because the terminal was packed.

Went straight to O'Sheehan's - no wait. I can confirm that they have indeed switched to Baked Wings 😝. Draft beers offered were Stella and Bud Light.

Yes, they have returned to the pre-covid muster drill

As always, I purchased the Thermal Suite pass for $299 ($100 more than previous cruises). Definitely less crowded - on the positive side, it was better maintained and cleaner than previous cruises.

I ate all of my meals at specialty dinning. Twice at Cagney's and La Cucina and three times at Le Bistro (my favorite 😊). I believe La Cucina is an under appreciated dining option. Both meals were fantastic! I ate outside one night at sunset and I could not imagine a better dining experience. 

Menu Changes: I did notice several changes to the menus as previously mentioned on the boards. La Cucina has changed the Veal Scaloppini to Pork. Cagney's no longer charges a surcharge for the crab cakes, however they were not as good as previous cruises and I would not recommend them. Of course they did add a $20 supplement for the porterhouse. Le Bistro now charges a $10 supplement for the Tenderloin with Foie Gras - however they do offer the tenderloin without the supplement if you get it without the Foie Gras (I highly recommend that you pay the $10 - the Foie Gras makes the meal - And if the thought of liver grosses you out, all I can tell you is that I am a picky eater and I absolutely loved it!). One of the Maitre D did mention to me that more menu changes are planned for in the immediate future. I will be keeping an eye on that.

Every waiter, this time around, told me that because I had the specialty dining package I was entitled to two starters, one entre, two sides and a desert.

All of the meals were great and the service was exceptional.

For me, the highlight of my cruise was the wine service. I am an enophile and I had some really exceptional wines. If you like good wines - the premium plus package is absolutely worth it. Dragisa, the ship's Cellar Master is an absolute genius and he and his team provides a level of service you will simply not find on land. I also attended 5 wine classes - all very informative and with some really quality wines.

As far as entertainment goes, I was disappointed that they were not offering Malevo as previously advertised. Do not know if that was due to the well discussed cutbacks. I did see Choir of Men - but saw that twice last time.

Overall, the service was just as good as ever. Other than the few menu changes and the cancellation of Malevo, I did not sense any reduction in the quality of NCL's product. In fact, I actually booked two more cruises while I was on board.

I will try to post some pictures soon.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 3

25 minutes ago, BenDover said:

Every waiter, this time around, told me that because I had the specialty dining package I was entitled to two starters, one entre, two sides and a desert.

Since the change in the terms, has anyone ordered more than the limit? Were they charged?

I'm wondering if the system still zeros out everything even though there are now (officially) limits. 

19 minutes ago, FlGoodShips said:

Going on Escape soon.

Could you post the officers, and cruise director?

Thank you.

Captain Matko, General Manager Kivanc, Cruise Director Jack, Assistant General Manager Ducan, Food & Beverage Yusuf, Guest Services Ronan, Restaurant Manager Elena

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, BenDover said:

Just spent 7 days on NCL Escape. This was my 4th NCL Cruise and my second on Escape.

Some notes on my wonderful cruise:

I drove down from Georgia and arrived at Port Canaveral for my 9:30 reserved time. Check in went smooth, however boarding was delayed due to the ship getting in late (so I was told), Actual boarding did not start until 11:30. At one point they suspended checking people in because the terminal was packed.

Went straight to O'Sheehan's - no wait. I can confirm that they have indeed switched to Baked Wings 😝. Draft beers offered were Stella and Bud Light.

Yes, they have returned to the pre-covid muster drill

As always, I purchased the Thermal Suite pass for $299 ($100 more than previous cruises). Definitely less crowded - on the positive side, it was better maintained and cleaner than previous cruises.

I ate all of my meals at specialty dinning. Twice at Cagney's and La Cucina and three times at Le Bistro (my favorite 😊). I believe La Cucina is an under appreciated dining option. Both meals were fantastic! I ate outside one night at sunset and I could not imagine a better dining experience. 

Menu Changes: I did notice several changes to the menus as previously mentioned on the boards. La Cucina has changed the Veal Scaloppini to Pork. Cagney's no longer charges a surcharge for the crab cakes, however they were not as good as previous cruises and I would not recommend them. Of course they did add a $20 supplement for the porterhouse. Le Bistro now charges a $10 supplement for the Tenderloin with Foie Gras - however they do offer the tenderloin without the supplement if you get it without the Foie Gras (I highly recommend that you pay the $10 - the Foie Gras makes the meal - And if the thought of liver grosses you out, all I can tell you is that I am a picky eater and I absolutely loved it!). One of the Maitre D did mention to me that more menu changes are planned for in the immediate future. I will be keeping an eye on that.

All of the meals were great and the service was exceptional.

For me, the highlight of my cruise was the wine service. I am an enophile and I had some really exceptional wines. If you like good wines - the premium plus package is absolutely worth it. Dragisa, the ship's Cellar Master is an absolute genius and he and his team provides a level of service you will simply not find on land. I also attended 5 wine classes - all very informative and with some really quality wines.

As far as entertainment goes, I was disappointed that they were not offering Malevo as previously advertised. Do not know if that was due to the well discussed cutbacks. I did see Choir of Men - but saw that twice last time.

Overall, the service was just as good as ever. Other than the few menu changes and the cancellation of Malevo, I did not sense any reduction in the quality of NCL's product. In fact, I actually booked two more cruises while I was on board.

I will try to post some pictures soon.

Thanks for a great review. I’ve never been on the Escape. We were on Gem last week and noticed those menu changes too, however, we asked about ordering the filet at Le Bistro without the foie gras and our server said we’d still have the $10 fee. I figured the supplement was for the foie gras since they didn’t add it to Cucina filet, but this seems to confirm that. Thank you! We will try again next month on Getaway!

1 hour ago, Mlake09 said:

Thanks for a great review. I’ve never been on the Escape. We were on Gem last week and noticed those menu changes too, however, we asked about ordering the filet at Le Bistro without the foie gras and our server said we’d still have the $10 fee. I figured the supplement was for the foie gras since they didn’t add it to Cucina filet, but this seems to confirm that. Thank you! We will try again next month on Getaway!

Interesting - on Escape they asked all three times I ate at Le Bistro

I believe we were on the same cruise.  My adult daughter and I had an excellent time!  Agree with you about La Cucina - we very much enjoyed it!  Also agree about Cagney's crab cakes - meh.  I wish I had not eaten mine, and saved the room for the excellent steak that I barely touched because I was already full.

We also had thermal suite passes, used every day except one.  Loved the chance to escape the very crowded decks.  Not complaining-we were expecting crowds, with a virtually sold-out ship.

We very much enjoyed Choir of Man.  My girl ended up on stage for one number - it was very fun!  We also loved, loved, loved Syd Norman's.  That band was excellent!!!

We got lucky - the weather was exceptional.  I've been on January cruises before that were just plain cold!  

Bit tough to be back at work.  But that's what I need to do, so I can cruise again!

• Like 1

Did you happen to attend the "wines at sea" tasting for platinum latitudes members? 

If so, were any of the wines above the bottom of the wines available by the glass in the restaurants?

My wife will be upset if the crab cake in Cagney's has declined to the crab cakes they serve in the Haven.

4 of us are on Escape in March.  Couple questions, Did you need to make reservations for the shows?  Did you go to GSC, if so how was the tender process?  We have Spa access as well, what was your favorite part?  Did you eat at food republic as well?

Thanks

12 hours ago, Wedgie Wedgie said:

My wife will be upset if the crab cake in Cagney's has declined to the crab cakes they serve in the Haven.

Whaaaaaaaa????? Best crab cakes I've ever had are in the Haven! They beat out Baltimore crab cakes even. Haha...sorry your wife doesn't like them. I love that they have virtually no filler. I've never had Cagney's crab cake, because why buy something when you get yumminess for free upstairs? I do hope she is able to get all the crab cake wonderfulness on your next cruise!

Of course I had to find my photos of Crab Cake Eggs Benedict from my Dec/Jan post. I can't wait the 53 days until I have this again! Thank you for letting me think of the fond memories. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

image.thumb.jpeg.749c1210ca03a53196444491938c4939.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.57e48e54698fce0c1494b59a45b2d7cc.jpeg

13 hours ago, Wedgie Wedgie said:

Did you happen to attend the "wines at sea" tasting for platinum latitudes members? 

If so, were any of the wines above the bottom of the wines available by the glass in the restaurants?

I am not a platinum member - so no "wines at sea". There were some fairly good wines available by the glass. They would be covered if you have the premium plus package or you have to pay the difference over what the basic package covers.

Crab cakes definitely not on level with Haven's. Lots of breading, no lumps, flavorless and the size of a hockey puck.

1 hour ago, jcollin said:

4 of us are on Escape in March.  Couple questions, Did you need to make reservations for the shows?  Did you go to GSC, if so how was the tender process?  We have Spa access as well, what was your favorite part?  Did you eat at food republic as well?

Thanks

Booked show when I got on board - no problem. The only shows that looked tough to book were the comedy shows - which I don't care for.

You have to register for the tender through your stateroom TV (could not do on the APP). I slept in that day but I had #14. If you want to tender early you need to reserve as soon as they open up the reservations.

Every afternoon I do 15 minutes in the steam room, 10 minutes in the sauna, followed by 3 minutes in the snow room. Detoxing and getting the body ready for another night of debauchery 😉 

No Food Republic

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, BenDover said:

Booked show when I got on board - no problem. The only shows that looked tough to book were the comedy shows - which I don't care for.

You have to register for the tender through your stateroom TV (could not do on the APP). I slept in that day but I had #14. If you want to tender early you need to reserve as soon as they open up the reservations.

Every afternoon I do 15 minutes in the steam room, 10 minutes in the sauna, followed by 3 minutes in the snow room. Detoxing and getting the body ready for another night of debauchery 😉 

No Food Republic

When do tender reservations open up?

2 hours ago, cruiseny4life said:

Whaaaaaaaa????? Best crab cakes I've ever had are in the Haven! They beat out Baltimore crab cakes even. Haha...sorry your wife doesn't like them. I love that they have virtually no filler. I've never had Cagney's crab cake, because why buy something when you get yumminess for free upstairs? I do hope she is able to get all the crab cake wonderfulness on your next cruise!

Of course I had to find my photos of Crab Cake Eggs Benedict from my Dec/Jan post. I can't wait the 53 days until I have this again! Thank you for letting me think of the fond memories. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

image.thumb.jpeg.749c1210ca03a53196444491938c4939.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.57e48e54698fce0c1494b59a45b2d7cc.jpeg

We just got off the Encore in the Haven and the crab cakes, unfortunately, did not look like this at all.  My husband had them on the Joy and Escape ( I think ) and they definitely looked just like yours above.  We are former Marylanders so we know a good crab cake also.  Very disappointed.  They looked like all filler last week.

1 hour ago, iKarenE said:

Thanks for the review, we sail in April. I was curious about the Thermal Spa, this is our first time booking it. 

My daughter and I booked the Haven Spa Suite in celebration of her 1/2 century. Our favorite hands down is the heated stone chaises. As soon as you lie down it is like a nice heating pad over your whole body. The thermal pool is great! I have a heart condition which now precludes me from the rollers and the "waterfall" but it is great for warm water walking. She usually likes to book a massage and takes advantage of the first day tour that offers the specials. We book the spa unless we are sailing with my granddaughter.

25 minutes ago, Rpeter said:

We just got off the Encore in the Haven and the crab cakes, unfortunately, did not look like this at all.  My husband had them on the Joy and Escape ( I think ) and they definitely looked just like yours above.  We are former Marylanders so we know a good crab cake also.  Very disappointed.  They looked like all filler last week.

I have never had good crab cakes on an NCL ship, what’s changed?

4 minutes ago, zqvol said:

I have never had good crab cakes on an NCL ship, what’s changed?

As the pictures show in post #14, they are filled with lump crab meat and very little filler.  Last week, there was no lump crab meat to speak of and a LOT of filler.  The flavor just was not there.