Group travel

merlib

I am a girl scout leader, and we are planning a wizbang end of year event for 2007 (think June or July), when the majority of our troop will be graduating high school and therefor leaving the troop. We had the girls make suggestions of trips and the one that got the most votes was a cruise.

I don't even know where to begin looking for information on booking a cruise for a group - it could be as many as 20 to 25 people. Are there certain agencies that specialize in this? We are from CT and are thinking of leaving out of NYC to keep the costs down somewhat.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Merlib

Girl Scout Troop 306

Best thing to do is work thru a local travel agency.

Please keep in mind that on most cruise lines, guest under 21 will need someone 25 or older booked in their cabin (or something to that effect!). Your travel agent will have all this information and can help you with your decision.

Roz

Your first hurdle is the age requirements. Is this just for the troop members and leaders? If everyone will be 18 then you can book on Princess, otherwise, you will need one over 25 person booked in each cabin, which means at least one adult for every three girls, more if you don't want to be that crowded. You cannot book on most other lines unless everyone is over 21, or you again use the over 25 in each cabin.

Secondly, you will all need passports, and for everyone under 18, that requires written approval from both parents named on the birth certificate or court-issued sole legal custody papers.

If it still looks good to all of you after that, then any TA would be happy to take your group booking. You will get some perks and/or discounts if you have at least 8 cabins booked.

Wow everyone! Thanks so much for the quick reply and information about the age 25 rule. I knew about the passports thing -- but not the other. We may have to re-think this because I don't think we would get that many "old folks" to come (at least that's how the girls think of us).

Merlib

Wow everyone! Thanks so much for the quick reply and information about the age 25 rule. I knew about the passports thing -- but not the other. We may have to re-think this because I don't think we would get that many "old folks" to come (at least that's how the girls think of us).

Merlib

wow-- if you can get the girls to all kick in--- I'd surely be happy to be a chaperone... :D (I was a cub leader for 11 years so I am indeed certified)

Also something else to consider...June & July are high peak sailing times. expensive and a lot more kids onboard.. having that many girls onboard do you really want that responsibilty--- a ship afterall is like a small city

I don't agree that you have to use a local TA.

At least look at some one like *********** which is mostly a internet company but do offer group rates with only a min of a group of 5 not the usual 8. If you go to their website you will see a GROUP section.

I received good service, which I was worried about when I booked during their Thanksgiving special. NO one beat their price or came near it.

After booking they answered all questions and solved the dinning request.

Good Luck I don't envy you.

Marge

We will be on our 17th cruise on March 27th to MX RIV.

Marge--In case you are not aware of it--your post was starred out because it names a specific online travel agency. Board rules prohibit naming agencies or agents by name. But it is OK to post your opinion that using an online major travel agency is an option.

A zillion years ago, when I was a Girl Scout, my troop went to Puerto Rico between Christmas and New Years our senior year in high school.

For the first part of the week, we stayed at a camp in the rain forest, and hiked, and swam, and had a great time. For the second part of the week, we stayed at the homes of Girl Scouts in San Juan--also a great time.

It was a very inexpensive trip, but fabulous.

Archived