Carnival changed my cabin! What would you do?

spumonisowner

Hi all! I’m booked on the Pride to Norway  this summer a few weeks after the dry dock (June 30). I guess they plan to renovate rooms because I just got an email from Carnival that they are changing the capacity of our 4 person room to 3. We were in 6232 which was a “bowling alley” extended balcony and the availability of this cabin was the reason I chose this sailing over the alternative dates. They put us in a cabin on a higher deck that’s nothing special and offered us no choice or compensation. I am NOT happy. My preferred cabin out of what is left is a downgrade (deck 5) from what we had which means I overpaid if I take it. 
I’ll be calling soon to see what I can do. 

What would you do? What can I reasonably request under these circumstances?

Are they removing the Pullman bed or something? I don't understand how it's no longer going to sleep four.

We had 6232 on the Spirit and loved the huge balcony. Unfortunately, as you know, it's classified the same as other extended balconies nearby (hence why there wasn't an additional charge for it from the get-go), so technically they don't owe you any compensation if they've moved you to another extended balcony room that sleeps four people. Good luck.

3 hours ago, knagl said:

Are they removing the Pullman bed or something? I don't understand how it's no longer going to sleep four.

It can also have to do with changing the capacity of the muster station. Possibly more higher capacity cabins elsewhere so this one is being cut back to 3. The muster station always comes into play with higher capacity cabins. 

As for the OP, the contract you agree to when you purchase the cruise is that the cruise line can basically do anything they want. They are under contract to provide what they consider an equal or great category cabin. When a ship goes into drydock, cabin categories are almost always reassigned. 

If there are other cabins available on the ship, they will most likely move you but if there are no cabins you want, you could always ask for an FCC and choose another cruise. 

• Like 1

I have 6232 on Spirit leaving Saturday, and I would definitely be upset if moved. I have had this cabin with 4 previously.  I was waiting for an email saying they moved us as we only have 2 sailing in a quad cabin, even though we booked 1 year ago.   I really don't think they would be removing the Murphy/pullman bed during dry dock. As others have said, maybe it has something to do with lifeboat capacity.   If you booked through a pvp see what they can do.  If not, call Carnival and nicely explain what is going on and work your way up to a supervisor and see what they can do.

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies. At this point, flights and hotels are booked so cancelling the trip  isn’t something we want to do. 

To add insult to injury, looking at available cabins, I noticed the price has gone down by close to $200. I don’t think I have price protection, although I’m not sure. How do you see that in the cruise manager?

I'm not sure if early saver is indicated in cruise manager, but you could always request the price adjustment anyway. The worse they can do is say no. They didn't change our cabin, but they did change our itinerary from Bermuda to the Bahamas. All we received was a small OBC (and the ability to cancel without penalty, which we didn't want to do). You don't say how many are in your party but if it's only two sometimes they will do this so a party of 3 can book the cabin, since that's what it's designed for. Per the contract they can change your cabin and as long as it's the same type there is little that can be done.

16 minutes ago, spumonisowner said:

Thanks for the replies. At this point, flights and hotels are booked so cancelling the trip  isn’t something we want to do. 

To add insult to injury, looking at available cabins, I noticed the price has gone down by close to $200. I don’t think I have price protection, although I’m not sure. How do you see that in the cruise manager?

You’re not past final payment. Call and request what you’d consider an acceptable cabin. Cancel and rebook at the new, lower price if that works for you.

3 hours ago, WheresWalter said:

As for the OP, the contract you agree to when you purchase the cruise is that the cruise line can basically do anything they want. They are under contract to provide what they consider an equal or great category cabin. When a ship goes into drydock, cabin categories are almost always reassigned. 

This is correct.

That said, have you called them and attempt to negotiate? What do they say when you mention it's a downgrade, "Tough sh*t?"

Feel like I am missing some information.

IMO, negotiate otherwise your ONLY choice is to cancel. Like airlines, once on-board, they're in control and can do about anything they want while on board