Is The Key going bye-bye?

schmeed

Just now, twangster said:

I could see doing an elf at or near Christmas.  I feel like a July elf would be awkward.

Then again an elf might not be available at or near Christmas.  Or Royal might charge 10 x the price for a Christmas elf, plus 18% gratuity.    

Gnome seems safer.  

Good point 🤔 May as well not even consider the elf.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Hi all,

Depends on if you have the extra money to spend on being a VIP? Some may have it and not care, others may want to use their money for other things on board and some may not be able to afford anything extra at all.

I personally would use whatever money I have spare for things such as trips at ports, but that's just me! But I am D+ so already get some of those perks so that probably explains my way of thinking here. 

Also, along with the Key seating in the theatre, there is Star Class seating and others for those in various suites. How many different types of special is there? - oh yes, there's also the D+ and Pinnacle seats too!

To be a VIP is to be treated as special in front of others, and is anything on the key list other than seating in the theatre that is really that special at the end of the day? Looks like the best benefit of the key is the internet part for anyone who really needs it. It that really special as no-one else would know you had it?

Also, if almost everyone ends up being special ,then surely no-one will feel that special anymore.

Maybe it should be re-named "Not so VIP" 

Mick.

44 minutes ago, Mick B said:

“…,,Also, along with the Key seating in the theatre, there is Star Class seating and others for those in various suites. How many different types of special is there? - oh yes, there's also the D+ and Pinnacle seats too!…..”

Mick.

On a recent Jewel cruise,  all of the specialty seating was  in the same section. It was in the balcony. 

On another cruise, pinnacles were allowed to sit in the key seats. 

Photo from Jewel of the seas last week. 

m

4D85D962-B2BE-491A-BFF9-1CC42A26974D.jpeg

Edited by cruisegirl1
  • Like 1

Hi,

The reserved seating on the Jewel was nice, and I bet as more things like the key and multiple classes of suites come along, the D+ members will lose this perk due to high numbers of takers.

One thing here though is that sometimes the seating in the balcony is not always the best spot. Great for a comedian that is rubbish that you want to get away from or for watching something like Spectra's Cabaret (on Quantum class ships) which being too close means you miss things going on behind/around you, but if you like loud shows then the first 5 rows near the stage are best. Can Key guests not select their seats beforehand or is that just Star class etc?

Again, as it stands (or stood last time I cruised) all seats are released for everyone 10 minutes before the show starts.

That rule brings me to this next point. What is the point of paying extra for VIP perks like seats if at the last minute someone can come and sit right next to you who hasn't paid extra for them?

Mick.

Edited by Mick B
spelling

The same for us, all our future cruises are showing the Key under a VIP passes page. This would imply that there are passes other than the Key going to be added.

I just have a horrible feeling that with the overwhelming popularity of the drinks vouchers something is afoot with the Diamond Lounge. It won't have escaped the bean counters notice that a piece of prime real estate isn't being as used as much as it was when the majority of us are around the ship using the vouchers at any time of day.

Hope I'm wrong.

37 minutes ago, Tin can said:

The same for us, all our future cruises are showing the Key under a VIP passes page. This would imply that there are passes other than the Key going to be added.

I just have a horrible feeling that with the overwhelming popularity of the drinks vouchers something is afoot with the Diamond Lounge. It won't have escaped the bean counters notice that a piece of prime real estate isn't being as used as much as it was when the majority of us are around the ship using the vouchers at any time of day.

Hope I'm wrong.

We were on Ovation and Quantum last Sep/Oct.  Every night the back doors in the DL were opened for overflow into the music Hall.  DL was packed almost every night during Happy Hours.      

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, jeffdal said:

That's really good marketing.  The Key name does not explain what it is and people often want VIP treatment. I would probably fall for it.  🙃

I'd bet that you are a better/informed consumer than to fall for the/any marketing ploy.  I believe that there is a post in this thread that outlines the, so called, benefits that aren't.  Off the top of my head, the one that rang so true to me, the early/special "Arriving Time".  It does seem that they aren't paying attention to the "Arrival Times" anymore, at least at some ports/terminals/ships.  BUT, you are you, if it makes sense to you, go for it.  Who am I to try to tell you what to do?  Answer, I'm not anybody that should tell you what to do.   

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Mick B said:

To be a VIP is to be treated as special in front of others, and is anything on the key list other than seating in the theatre that is really that special at the end of the day? Looks like the best benefit of the key is the internet part for anyone who really needs it.

We got The Key for our upcoming trip. The selling points for us was that it was almost the same price as the internet package, the delivery of the carry on baggage directly to the stateroom (we're bringing wine onboard and I don't want to schlep it through the ship), the reserved seating at shows and the Chops lunch on embarkation.  Would I pay full price for those? No.  But given that the sale at the time and the fact that it was only something like $1 more than the internet alone it seemed like something worthwhile to try.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Mick B said:

... Depends on if you have the extra money to spend on being a VIP? Some may have it and not care, others may want to use their money for other things on board and some may not be able to afford anything extra at all.

I personally would use whatever money I have spare for things such as trips at ports, but that's just me! ... 

I could easily afford the Key /VIP experience, but it doesn't seem to be a good value -- nothing it offers is interesting to me: 

- Priority boarding -- saves me, what?  An hour?  I always drive in a day early and sign up for the earliest boarding time.  I'd rather spend that money on drinks. 

- Carry-ons delivered to my room.  Um, no -- not at any price.  I'm carrying on those things (jewelry, medicine, electronics) because I don't want to hand them over to anyone else.  

- Lunch -- eh, while this is nice, the timing is bad.  I don't want to sit down to a fancy lunch the minute I get on the ship.  Maybe if it were a dinner (on the evening of my choice) I'd be more interested.  Even a lunch voucher for Johnny Rockets or Fish-and-Chips (which could be used any day of the cruise) would be more appealing than Chops-at-embarkation.

- Internet -- If I had internet service, I'd use it, but not heavily.  This is not "enough" to motivate me to open my wallet.  

- Specialty seating -- not interested at all, especially since the seating doesn't seem to be prime.  

- Reserved time for various attractions -- this might interest me a little, but I don't want to be the jerk who runs other people away from activities.  

- Priority tendering -- that's only good at a few islands now.  

- Special breakfast items?  Are they going to be different from what's available in the MDR /Windjammer?  Doubtful.  Only so many breakfast choices exist.  

- Departure help -- no, I can already leave whenever I please with self-disembarkation.  I have no desire to change this.  

Honestly, I don't see a lot of "extras" onboard that I'm willing to buy, and -- yes -- I'd rather spend the money on doing something fun in port.  

3 hours ago, Tin can said:

I'm not Diamond yet, but I suspect I wouldn't hang around the Diamond Lounge.  I think I'd much rather have access to drinks across the ship -- I'd like the flexibility.    

I think Royal Caribbean has kinda painted itself into a corner with the Diamond drink vouchers thing -- now that a whole lot of people are Diamond, they can't fit nicely into that space.  

2 hours ago, Ret MP said:

I'd bet that you are a better/informed consumer than to fall for the/any marketing ploy ... 

I'm always surprised at how poorly informed some cruisers are; for example, I was watching a You Tube the other day, and the host (a guy who seemed to have his act together) complained he wasn't aware that so many small food venues on Wonder are included in the ticket price.  He wasn't using them, thinking they cost extra -- but that info is clearly printed in the Compass!  He just hadn't done his homework.  

Admittedly, this kind of thing is -- I believe -- easier to read on paper rather than on the app.  One more reason I'll always ask for a paper Compass.  

9 minutes ago, Amberle3 said:

... But given that the sale at the time and the fact that it was only something like $1 more than the internet alone it seemed like something worthwhile to try.

Okay, I'd probably pay $1 for The Key, but even if it were $5/day I wouldn't buy it.  It just doesn't offer anything that looks useful to me.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, taglovestocruise said:

We were on Ovation and Quantum last Sep/Oct.  Every night the back doors in the DL were opened for overflow into the music Hall.  DL was packed almost every night during Happy Hours.      

Thats good to hear, my experience recently in the DL has been the complete opposite unfortunately. 

16 hours ago, twangster said:

I could see doing an elf at or near Christmas.  I feel like a July elf would be awkward.

Then again an elf might not be available at or near Christmas.  Or Royal might charge 10 x the price for a Christmas elf, plus 18% gratuity.    

Gnome seems safer.  

It would seem safer yet it is so hard to keep track of your Gnome.  Gnomes scurry off to Central Park, do a bit of gardening then hid amongst the plants.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Russ Lomas said:

VIP will have much more name recognition than "the key".

Everyone knows that VIP stands for "Very Impatient Person" who cannot bother to cruise often and earn their benefits and wants to pay to cut the lines.

I think that anyone/everyone that cruises is a VIP, no matter the class, category, wealth, and so on.  It ain't cheap to cruise no matter how wealthy or unwealthy you are.  However, I do understand and do participate in the ability to pay a little extra for some extra privileges and perks.  If you see me with a Genie walking to the front of the line, I paid for that little perk.  I may not "bother" to cruise "often" but I do earn my benefits, including cutting the lines.  I earn my benefits by paying thousands of dollars more than those that don't.  That doesn't make me better than anyone else.  It make me willing and able to pay for some extra perks that is an option to me and most all others if they are willing to save for it.  I save up for about 2 years to cruise in Star Class.  But, in between that, I cruise in a Balcony Cabin.  So, I cruise on average once a year, excluding COVID years.  

19 hours ago, Amberle3 said:

We got The Key for our upcoming trip. The selling points for us was that it was almost the same price as the internet package, the delivery of the carry on baggage directly to the stateroom (we're bringing wine onboard and I don't want to schlep it through the ship), the reserved seating at shows and the Chops lunch on embarkation.  Would I pay full price for those? No.  But given that the sale at the time and the fact that it was only something like $1 more than the internet alone it seemed like something worthwhile to try.

I picked up the Key during last year's Labor Day price glitch when it was $14.99, literally cheaper than the internet package. That and it being an Anthem sailing meaning lots of activities, and a transatlantic with so few port days that they had to let you use it on sea days.  Without all of those factors I would not have bothered, especially since we'd planned to unplug for that crossing, thinking there would be lousy wifi across the Atlantic.  It was better than expected.

• Like 1

I bought the Key for an upcoming sailing.

Skipping some lines and a couple upgraded meals appealed to me.

Will report my experience.

Question - where does it show on app or account that you bought the Key?

I have the confirmation receipt, is that it?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, foodsvcmgr said:

I bought the Key for an upcoming sailing.

Skipping some lines and a couple upgraded meals appealed to me.

Will report my experience.

Question - where does it show on app or account that you bought the Key?

I have the confirmation receipt, is that it?

Your SeaPass will indicate that you have purchased The Key. We did this on our last cruise since, as others have mentioned, it was on sale at the time for just slightly more than internet only. We enjoyed our Chops lunch and the calmer & slower start to our cruise. I understand that some don’t feel it has value for them, but if you can get it for just a bit above internet only, then for me it is worth it. 

• Like 1

Definitely will not be going away. It’s a big money maker for royal. It’s the biggest waste of money unless you are traveling solo. Even when key is on sale it’s still higher than internet. The more internet plans you buy the cheaper it gets under one name. 

Edited by renza
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, slyster said:

I'm seeing VIP passes, Key, for $32.99 a day.  It's the same price, other than when it price went up to $34.99 and Black Friday $30.99.

It showed up today in our cruise planner on sale.  30% off at $24.99. For Navigator in May. Shows VIP until you click on it and then changes to the Key. Not worth a thing to us as we just use our free internet. 

On 1/25/2023 at 11:19 AM, Mick B said:

Hi,

The reserved seating on the Jewel was nice, and I bet as more things like the key and multiple classes of suites come along, the D+ members will lose this perk due to high numbers of takers.

One thing here though is that sometimes the seating in the balcony is not always the best spot. Great for a comedian that is rubbish that you want to get away from or for watching something like Spectra's Cabaret (on Quantum class ships) which being too close means you miss things going on behind/around you, but if you like loud shows then the first 5 rows near the stage are best. Can Key guests not select their seats beforehand or is that just Star class etc?

Again, as it stands (or stood last time I cruised) all seats are released for everyone 10 minutes before the show starts.

That rule brings me to this next point. What is the point of paying extra for VIP perks like seats if at the last minute someone can come and sit right next to you who hasn't paid extra for them?

Mick.

You'd rather the seats go empty so that people can't see the show?

26 minutes ago, nferr said:

You'd rather the seats go empty so that people can't see the show?

I've got to say, I've never seen the theater so full that you couldn't get a seat SOMEWHERE.  Not saying you can get a great seat, but you could sit SOMEWHERE.  The ice show is the closest thing I've seen to ... well, "sold out" is the wrong term.  

Is this literally a problem on some other ships? 

I'll also admit that I went to a show by myself (my husband was more interested in drinking), and I headed up to the balcony -- I didn't want to claim a prime seat just for me.  After I sat down, I noted that this section was reserved for The Key.  I didn't move, and no one questioned me.  

Edited by Mum2Mercury

I have purchased The Key for an upcoming cruise out of Sydney and have been allotted a boarding time

of 3pm. So it will be a very late lunch!

I had it for a recent cruise out of Brisbane and once again there was no lunch but as compensation you could order room service free.

Overall, as a new cruiser to RCI, I won't be sucked in again.