First cruise ends tomorrow.... what I'd do differently

pookel

I posted a whole trip report over on the NCL forum but thought I'd do a roundup of info that might be useful for other first-timers.

Things I'd do differently next time:

Bring fewer shoes. I brought two pairs of sandals, two pairs of sneakers, and water shoes. Could have done with one pair of sandals, one pair of sneakers and the water shoes.

Bring more socks. Normally I just slip on sneakers over bare feet unless I'm doing a serious day of walking. Well .... every day on the cruise was a serious day of walking. I should have brought 8-9 pairs, not 4.

Bring only one swimsuit. People here talked me into two and I just don't swim that much. One would have been fine.

Consider not getting a balcony. It was nice but we didn't really spend much time out there.

Consider not getting the drink package, especially if I'm on a line other than Norwegian where it's more expensive. I did enjoy it, but I don't drink much soda & don't have the alcohol tolerance I used to, so I could skip it & drink less to save money.

I also learned I absolutely cannot do port-intensive cruises. We had one sea day, then Bermuda, then a sea day, then Bahamas, then Great Stirrup Cay, then Port Canaveral, and now two more sea days before we're back in NYC, and I'm absolutely wiped out just from the three back-to-back port days. I'm sure this differs for everyone, but pay attention to how many port days vs sea days you have, and your energy level.

The Gem was a great size and I don't think I'd want to do one of the bigger ships, although I wouldn't mind trying it once. I already had a hard time finding things and often got lost.

Bring more magnetic hooks. I brought a pack of 12 and used them all and could have used more. Also bring *strong* hooks - mine started to slide down the wall when the dirty laundry bag got full. 

Bring a bigger magnetic whiteboard for the door. We brought a little one and found people from all over randomly left messages for us, which was a lot of fun!

Pay attention to climate for packing skincare products. In North Dakota I have dry skin and need to moisturize all the time, but i mostly avoid deep cleansers that remove oil. In the Bahamas I was sweating all the time and wished I'd brought more intense cleansing/anti-oil products.

Make a budget ahead of time and track spending. I didn't this time because we're reasonably well off and could afford it, but I think we ended up wasting money sometimes where we could have been more frugal. If we want to do this regularly we should pay closer attention to spending.

Go somewhere cooler. I assumed that in January, even the Bahamas and Florida would be bearable, but it was hot (mid 80s) & sunny in both places and it was pretty rough for me unless I was in the water. I also should have gotten a pair of prescription sunglasses before going as it was very bright. 

Bring more T-shirts. I brought nothing but my comfiest clothes, but my shirts were more like dressy knit blouses than t-shirts, so even though I was comfortable, I felt out of place as I sometimes looked like I was dressed for a business convention. I don't regret bringing one formal dress, but for casual days t-shirts are better.

Stuff I brought and didn't use: light beach blanket, umbrellas, bug spray, snacks, notepad, highlighter, flashlight, lanyard. 

Stuff I wish I'd brought but didn't: laxative (when you need it, you need it) and more/higher SPF/waterproof sunscreen.

Stuff I did bring and used all the time: battery packs for my phone, small crossbody purse, small coin purses for meds/money/jewelry/etc. 

No regrets on bringing absolutely every kind of medication & first aid supply & useful household item (rubber bands, paper clips, pens, paper etc). I used most of them and was very grateful to have it all. I made a small emergency kit and packed it absolutely full of useful little things, and it was so helpful.

One last tip - if you want to buy souvenirs for kids/grandkids/etc, find out BEFORE you go what sorts of things they might like. It's hard to try to guess at the last minute, especially when you're in the Bahamas without phone or internet. 

• Like 14
  • Thanks 2

On 1/24/2023 at 3:05 PM, pookel said:

I also learned I absolutely cannot do port-intensive cruises. We had one sea day, then Bermuda, then a sea day, then Bahamas, then Great Stirrup Cay, then Port Canaveral, and now two more sea days before we're back in NYC, and I'm absolutely wiped out just from the three back-to-back port days

that is NOT port intensive at all.

And no, we don't have energy. Our perfect cruise is all about vegging out on the beach.

Go somewhere cooler. I assumed that in January, even the Bahamas and Florida would be bearable, but it was hot (mid 80s) & sunny in both places

you'd think that someone from ND would appreciate warm weather in January. 🙂 Heck, we are in GA and we totally appreciate the Caribbean at the end of November and in April every time.

Glad you enjoyed your first cruise!

• Haha 1

On 1/24/2023 at 1:05 PM, pookel said:

I also learned I absolutely cannot do port-intensive cruises. We had one sea day, then Bermuda, then a sea day, then Bahamas, then Great Stirrup Cay, then Port Canaveral, and now two more sea days before we're back in NYC, and I'm absolutely wiped out just from the three back-to-back port days. I'm sure this differs for everyone, but pay attention to how many port days vs sea days you have, and your energy level.

Go somewhere cooler. I assumed that in January, even the Bahamas and Florida would be bearable, but it was hot (mid 80s) & sunny in both places and it was pretty rough for me unless I was in the water. I also should have gotten a pair of prescription sunglasses before going as it was very bright. 

These are good reminders for any of us when we're planning vacations. We have to think about what we enjoy - not necessarily what everyone else is booking. 

What seems hot to one person is temperate to someone else. But it's your vacation and you need to enjoy the climate so it's good to stop and think about these things before booking a vacation. 

Same with sea days. There aren't any right or wrong answers ...

• Like 1

I used to be pretty vocal about disliking sea days.   Time (meaning old age) has changed my outlook.  Now I want a few sea days mixed in.   😀    I also agree that, to the extent possible, avoiding hot & crazy humid places is a good thing.  Kind of spoiled with the weather where we live.  I can take heat, but just not used to humidity.  

I think the perspective of a first time cruiser is refreshing and meaningful to many of us who have been on several cruises.   Thanks for sharing.   

Edited by ldubs

OP (pookel): you have some excellent feedback and advice.

And not only for folk, like you, who have never cruised before. some good nuggets in there.

I find the 80 - 20 rule applies to baggage for a cruise: 20% of what's packed gets used 80% of the time - and vice versa. I make a note, as I unpack after arriving back home,  of the things I took that got little or no use. Then amend my next packing list accordingly.

When the minimalist millenniums grow into their cruising years, they're going to redefine what's needed for a cruise vacation. And, by then, onboard wifi had better be a whole lot better - and better value - than it is now. Or that generation is gone from the ships.

As a very experienced cruiser (over 50 years of extensive cruising, I have a suggestion about port intensive cruises.  There is no rule that says you must get off the ship in every port.  In fact, we once took a 2 week Caribbean cruise that had 9 ports and we did not bother to get off the ship at the first 8 stops.  I know this sound crazy, but we think the best time on a ship can be when at a port.  The ship becomes close to empty (although there are always a few others who stay aboard), there is no problem getting a well located deck chair, service at the bars and Lido are excellent, and it is a quiet relaxing time.   On some of our cruises (especially in the Caribbean) we cruise for the ship, not the ports.

Hank

• Like 6

Well said, Hank.

Other than price, our main criteria for choosing a cruise has been the geography, i.e. the ports of call. But your point about making the choice of ship a higher priority and, essentially ignoring the ports stops has hit home with me. This is certainly true of people who (I wish!) live on cruise ships.

You also, without actually stating it, hint ("...a well located deck chair...") that weather is an important factor for you. Here, here. The boat doesn't bounce around much while in port!

Your post is going to make me look at future choices differently.

Thank you Hank.

Edited by Canuker

I posted a whole trip report over on the NCL forum but thought I'd do a roundup of info that might be useful for other first-timers.

Things I'd do differently next time:

Bring fewer shoes. I brought two pairs of sandals, two pairs of sneakers, and water shoes. Could have done with one pair of sandals, one pair of sneakers and the water shoes.

Bring more socks. Normally I just slip on sneakers over bare feet unless I'm doing a serious day of walking. Well .... every day on the cruise was a serious day of walking. I should have brought 8-9 pairs, not 4.

Bring only one swimsuit. People here talked me into two and I just don't swim that much. One would have been fine.

Consider not getting a balcony. It was nice but we didn't really spend much time out there.

Consider not getting the drink package, especially if I'm on a line other than Norwegian where it's more expensive. I did enjoy it, but I don't drink much soda & don't have the alcohol tolerance I used to, so I could skip it & drink less to save money.

The Gem was a great size and I don't think I'd want to do one of the bigger ships, although I wouldn't mind trying it once. I already had a hard time finding things and often got lost.

Bring more magnetic hooks. I brought a pack of 12 and used them all and could have used more. Also bring *strong* hooks - mine started to slide down the wall when the dirty laundry bag got full. 

Bring a bigger magnetic whiteboard for the door. We brought a little one and found people from all over randomly left messages for us, which was a lot of fun!

Pay attention to climate for packing skincare products. In North Dakota I have dry skin and need to moisturize all the time, but i mostly avoid deep cleansers that remove oil. In the Bahamas I was sweating all the time and wished I'd brought more intense cleansing/anti-oil products.

Make a budget ahead of time and track spending. I didn't this time because we're reasonably well off and could afford it, but I think we ended up wasting money sometimes where we could have been more frugal. If we want to do this regularly we should pay closer attention to spending.

Bring more T-shirts. I brought nothing but my comfiest clothes, but my shirts were more like dressy knit blouses than t-shirts, so even though I was comfortable, I felt out of place as I sometimes looked like I was dressed for a business convention. I don't regret bringing one formal dress, but for casual days t-shirts are better.

Stuff I brought and didn't use: light beach blanket, umbrellas, bug spray, snacks, notepad, highlighter, flashlight, lanyard. 

Stuff I wish I'd brought but didn't: laxative (when you need it, you need it) and more/higher SPF/waterproof sunscreen.

Stuff I did bring and used all the time: battery packs for my phone, small crossbody purse, small coin purses for meds/money/jewelry/etc. 

No regrets on bringing absolutely every kind of medication & first aid supply & useful household item (rubber bands, paper clips, pens, paper etc). I used most of them and was very grateful to have it all. I made a small emergency kit and packed it absolutely full of useful little things, and it was so helpful.

One last tip - if you want to buy souvenirs for kids/grandkids/etc, find out BEFORE you go what sorts of things they might like. It's hard to try to guess at the last minute, especially when you're in the Bahamas without phone or internet. 

Great tips! Happy future cruising.

• Like 1

On 1/28/2023 at 12:57 PM, Hlitner said:

As a very experienced cruiser (over 50 years of extensive cruising, I have a suggestion about port intensive cruises.  There is no rule that says you must get off the ship in every port.  In fact, we once took a 2 week Caribbean cruise that had 9 ports and we did not bother to get off the ship at the first 8 stops.  I know this sound crazy, but we think the best time on a ship can be when at a port.  The ship becomes close to empty (although there are always a few others who stay aboard), there is no problem getting a well located deck chair, service at the bars and Lido are excellent, and it is a quiet relaxing time.   On some of our cruises (especially in the Caribbean) we cruise for the ship, not the ports.

Hank

Those are my best reading days. 

Yes, shoes are your biggest suitcase space hogs.  I like to have a pair of tennis shoes + comfortable sandals for day-time wear; those are my work-horses ... water shoes only if I'm going to need them for a specific excursion ... and one pair of dressy shoes for dinner.  I wear the sneakers for boarding, so that means only 2-3 pairs in the suitcase (and the water shoes pack down to little more than a pair of socks).  

I only took one swimsuit for our three-day cruise, but I typically bring three.  

When our kids were young /still at home, we always got a balcony because it was the cheapest way to get extra space ... essentially an extra "room".  Now that it's just us two, we've turned to Inside Guarantees, and we are quite pleased.  

I do have the alcohol tolerance (I can drink a scary-lot, and -- coming from a long line of alcoholics -- that's not a positive thing), so I don't even drink an alcoholic drink every day.  

As for ports, consider that you don't have to do a big-deal activity in each port.  You can opt to stay on the ship or spend just half a day ashore.  You might opt to make your middle day a beach day, in which you lounge around instead of doing something active.  The negative, of course, is that you're paying port taxes even if you don't leave the ship. 

Love a couple magnetic hooks, but I don't know what I'd do with 12.  

Forget laundry bags.  Put your open suitcase in the bottom of the closet, toss in your dirties, and at the end of the week zip it up ... and you're packed for home.  

Yeah, even though we could easily afford to spend-spend-spend, but we don't see the value.  Aside from drinks, we spend nothing onboard (and it's not a sacrifice).  We pay our gratuities ahead of time, and -- if we're doing any excursions -- we count what we'll need, add a few dollars for tips, etc. and create an envelope for that island stop.  On the outside we write the name of any excursion companies we're using ... along with contact information, meeting places, etc.  

My prescription sunglasses are among my prized possessions.  My eyes are bad enough that I don't like to drive without them.  I'm getting new ones in three weeks and can't wait!  

Agree that most of the things you say you won't bring again are useless ... but don't toss out bug spray altogether.  It's necessary at some ports; we were really glad to have it riding ATVs in Cozumel, for example.  

Yes to bringing your own OTC meds ... you don't want to bring yourself to the attention of the medical staff without good reason.  

We bring a pack of sticky notes and a pen to leave notes for one another.  

I would second the recommendation for more of items you wear daily. I like the heat but I also “glow” a lot, so I bring a t-shirt or tank for each day of the trip and double up on underwear numbers as I usually wind up with 2 showers a day in hot weather. 
I’m in the throw dirty laundry in your suitcase under the bed school of thought but I’m usually in a studio on an NCL ship and there isn’t much space for a dedicated laundry hamper. Heck I usually have 2 suitcases, one gets souvenir shopping and the other gets the laundry. 
On the footwear choices I travel in sneakers, have at least one pair of flip flops/sandals and something with a bit of a heel/wedge (my Achilles object strongly to flat footwear for more than 3 or 4 days in a row). 

prescription sunglasses are the single best investment for anyone that needs prescription eyewear. I’ve had laser correction done but before that I had 2 pairs of prescription sunglasses, one pair lived in my car and the other in my camera or sports bag. Proper sunglasses will also help ward off early cataract development.

flordia and the Caribbean were perfect for me in February coming from damp and cold Ireland.  My very first cruise was eastern Caribbean in May and there was a day and a half that were stiflingly hot but apart from that it was fine. The full day that was stinking hot was a sea day so I spent most of it in a shady spot where I could duck back into air conditioning at regular intervals.