The Elbe river 2023 - not just water levels

notamermaid

2 hours ago, AnhaltER1960 said:

Unlike Viking, who sail from Wittenberg to Decin and do Berlin-Wittenberg and Decin-Prague by bus, Croisi sail all the way.

I find it a far superior itinerary of CroisiEurope to the one of Viking. As a side note, I have read that the paddle wheeler technology used on the Elbe Princesse is a bit noisy. But perhaps that is just a perception of a few people. Know anything about this?

2 hours ago, AnhaltER1960 said:

From what I see in marinetraffic, Viking have put the Beyla and the Astrild into position in Dresden and Wittenberg respectively.

And a ship spotter has been there: https://www.binnenschifferforum.de/showthread.php?67785-Viking-Beyla-KFGS-07002022&p=462147#post462147

notamermaid

6 minutes ago, notamermaid said:

find it a far superior itinerary of CroisiEurope to the one of Viking. As a side note, I have read that the paddle wheeler technology used on the Elbe Princesse is a bit noisy. But perhaps that is just a perception of a few people. Know anything about this?

Do they sail at night?  I don't think I would mind the noise during the day.  [On certain ships – I'm looking at you, Celebrity! – it would help drown out the Muzak everywhere...]

11 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Do they sail at night?

That is a very good question. I have never thought about inquiring about that one for the Elbe.

Just mentioning this for all: there is the Elbe Princesse and the Elbe Princesse II. Those are the modern paddle wheelers. CroisiEurope also uses two older small ships on Elbe called MS Mona Lisa and MS Victor Hugo. Both sail from Berlin onto the Elbe but then tend to do the itineraries heading North and West.

notamermaid

It is September, time to have a look at what the river did at Dresden gauge in August:

image.png.ccc8dad06a7f8ba204c782f774289959.png

Ups and downs with the rain. A somewhat unreliable month but the river levels could have been even lower. What at the end of the month lead to (very short) mild flooding in the Upper Rhine valley and caused disruption on the Danube for about four days did not even bring the level at Dresden back up to the mean. Have the Czech authorities really let the rain through the locks and reservoir one on one? Still, September has started at a satisfactory level. How that works out for the river cruises coming up we cannot know at this point. The weather having changed to dryer conditions I am a little skeptical about good conditions for sailing throughout the month.

notamermaid

Edited by notamermaid

12 hours ago, AnhaltER1960 said:

Usually not. Occasionally they sail until late in the evening and/or start early (at say 5 am), but as far as I am aware they do not sail all night.

5 am is the middle of the night to me!!! :classic_ohmy:

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

So things are not looking too good on the Elbe. And if it does not rain substantially it must mean that the Czech authorities will keep much water in the country. Since Sunday the level at Dresden has been at 70cm or lower and if we are to believe the forecast it will stay this way for the next 36 hours.

CroisiEurope are due to sail from Prague to Berlin on 28 September. The are currently doing the itinerary on the Elbe lower section and northern German canals.This of course avoids the low water areas upstream.

notamermaid

We are leaving on this trip in early October so somewhat concerned about the river levels.  Is there anyone who’s recent trip was impacted by the river and can you share how their trip unfolded.  While you were in Dresden did you have an afternoon of free time in town?  We are hoping to do a non-Viking tour there. 

thanks 

On 9/21/2023 at 8:04 PM, dar1235 said:

We are leaving on this trip in early October so somewhat concerned about the river levels. 

Your concern is certainly justified. If there is not plenty of rain in Bohemia the next days there will be a "deviation" programme, as Viking chose to name it. And the prospect for rain is not good.

You did not mention, what direction you will be cruising (Berlin to Prague or vice versa). Anyway, the "deviation" programme means one ship, the Viking Beyla, is berthed in Dresden. You are offered to do tours from there, bus or maybe a half day/one day sailing the Elbe canyon upriver from Dresden. For sure there will be an opportunity to do a DIY at Dresden. Contact your Program Director as soon as possible to find out what day that will be, in case you want to make prior appointments for you non-Viking tour there.

• Like 1

The river is certainly presenting a challenge this early autumn. It appears that the Czech authorities have let some water through again so we see a spike in the graph, albeit a really small one. The level at Dresden is down to 67cm again. Rain is not due to hit the area before Thursday afternoon and it does not look substantial.

notamermaid

So, we were booked on The Elegant Elbe cruise on Viking for September. We ended up boarding the Beyla ship in Dresden for two nights in a floating hotel then the Astrild in Wittenberg for 3 nights. We did not sail at all. The captain of the first ship said he had been sitting docked since June. He also said it would be months before the ships would sail on The Elbe. We were given a credit for 50% of our cruise fare towards another cruise but they changed the criteria and conditions. We have a cruise booked and paid for and they won't let us apply it despite a letter telling us that we could apply the credit to "future cruises." 

On 10/1/2023 at 1:29 AM, DalsPals said:

We did not sail at all.

Thank you for reporting about your experience. That is very disappointing.

The captain of the first ship said he had been sitting docked since June.

To clarify this. Viking does not sail in summer so he will most likely have been looking after his ship with crew members. As far as I know for safety and security at least one person has to be on the ship at all times, possibly two. The first real sailing was scheduled for September.

He also said it would be months before the ships would sail on The Elbe.

If things continue as they are now I can believe that.

We were given a credit for 50% of our cruise fare towards another cruise but they changed the criteria and conditions. We have a cruise booked and paid for and they won't let us apply it despite a letter telling us that we could apply the credit to "future cruises." 

They probably mean you can apply this to a cruise that you have not booked yet. So you have paid for this non-sailing cruise and to get the full cruise experience you have to book another cruise which will cost you half of a cruise. It is a way of dealing with this low water problem that has me getting annoyed with Viking for several years.

Sorry. Not sure if there is a chance to get a better result if you contact Viking again.

This will not help you now but I know that other companies - not just the ones that have to abide by European consumer rights laws - have better conditions.

notamermaid

There is a wave flowing down the Elbe, just having reached the Czech-German Border and will be seen in Dresden probably by the end of today. There is a second wave coming down the  Vlatava, which has reached now the confluence of Vlatava and Elbe at Melnik. I am not sure, whether these waves are result of rain or release of water from reservoirs upriver the Vlatava (? maintanance works). My guess is the latter.

Also I am not sure, if these waves, which bring around 50 cubic metres per second, last long enough to allow sailing by the end of the week.

13 hours ago, AnhaltER1960 said:

I am not sure, whether these waves are result of rain or release of water from reservoirs upriver the Vlatava (? maintanance works). My guess is the latter.

I can now clearly see the wave in the graph at Dresden. Looks like a release of water in anticipation of rain coming tonight, i.e. it is raining now over the Upper Elbe and Vlatava - or maintenance as you say.

image.png.27e44b285cdaae28ce146dc028c931f1.png

To be honest I find it a ridiculous situation. Sitting on the Elbe on a river cruise ship waiting for a wave like a surfer.

September recap coming up.

notamermaid

River cruise ships may be able to ride on this wave which is keeping the level at Dresden up - which after a short time over 100cm is now at 99cm. September did not look good:

image.png.188008a254d6e5a57a164f829f16bbe9.png

From a (just) satisfactory level it went down and apart from a small peak stayed at levels that were too low. Half the month we see the level close to the statistical mean low water level.

notamermaid

I am not sure, for how long the "wave" will continue (the czech authorities should know...). Anyway, it was enough to allow sailing this week. There is rainfall coming into the east of Germany and also into Bohemia, which hopefully will help to ease the situation.

The draught seems to be over. Sailing has resumed, at least as far as Viking are concerned. From what Ive heard, Croisi is still on bus mode - not sure for how long. Indeed the Dresden gauge looks a bit confusing with the first wave gone, levels almost back to "zero" and then up again, like a second wave.

Thanks for the info. BfG (Bundesanstalt für Gewässerkunde) says in its report on low water levels that the Elbe is doing better than Danube or Rhine as there has been more rain over the area and the Czech authorities are letting more water through, which is the main reason. See page 6:

https://www.bafg.de/DE/07_Nachrichten/231012_nw-bericht.pdf?__blob=publicationFile

notamermaid

On 9/3/2023 at 12:01 PM, notamermaid said:

I find it a far superior itinerary of CroisiEurope to the one of Viking. As a side note, I have read that the paddle wheeler technology used on the Elbe Princesse is a bit noisy. But perhaps that is just a perception of a few people. Know anything about this?

And a ship spotter has been there: https://www.binnenschifferforum.de/showthread.php?67785-Viking-Beyla-KFGS-07002022&p=462147#post462147

notamermaid

Do you know if CroisiEuorope allows smoking on their boats?  That would be a deal breaker for me . 

On 10/13/2023 at 9:22 PM, dolllover said:

Do you know if CroisiEuorope allows smoking on their boats?  That would be a deal breaker for me . 

According to the German brochure smoking is forbidden indoors. Smoking is allowed in the small outdoor areas and on the sun deck.

notamermaid