France -River cruise Wine excursions

jeanrtco

Looking to do a river cruise in France, either the Burgundy&Provence OR the Bordeaux itinerary.  Which is nicer (scenery, wine excursions) and cant decide between Viking, AMAwaterways, Uniworld, Avalon or Scenic.  Any recommendations from those who have tried this particular one.  I appreciate the help, it is overwhelming with all the choices.

Jean

We did the Rhone on Uniworld in 2015. Very nice ship and itinerary. I did a trip report on these boards:

We liked the region very much and will go back some day to fill in the gaps that we missed.

We've visited Bordeaux as an overnight cruise ship stop once. The city and countryside were very scenic as well. We rented a car and drove around the area so our perspective was different from that of a river cruise. Still, a beautiful area and one that's worth an in-depth visit.

Not sure you'll go wrong with either location. Or just plan to do both - one now and one later.

I think @jpalbny has the solution - take two cruises so you can go to both.

Bordeaux was my first wine love and I have been on tours with both Viking & Scenic. See my report on the Scenic Bordeaux tour in August 2022 here

Review of Beautiful Bordeaux 11 day cruise on Scenic Diamond from 17 August to 27 August 2022 with comparisons to Viking - River Cruising - Cruise Critic Community

Be aware that winery visits and excursions change from year to year. I think Vikings dinner at Ch Kirwan - a third growth Margaux - accompanied by  Ch Kirwan wines, including the grand cru - was a highlight, much better than Scenic's classical concert. So check comments from people like me about cruise tours against what is being offered on the date you intend taking the cruise. 

Not everyone agrees, but I think the river scenery on the Bordeaux cruise is the least interesting. The land is mostly flat and the estuary gets wide and wider so all you can see on the bank is the trees lining it. But if your heart races - as mine does  at the village names of Bordeaux then its a must.

I've also taken the Rhone cruise from Lyon to Avignon and I am doing it again later this year the other direction. I think the scenery you'll see from the boat on  the Rhone is prettier. A expedition to Chateauneuf du Pape winelands was a highlight.

As to which cruise line - well' people here have their favourites and will recommend them. The boats all moor at many of the same locations - especially in Bordeaux.

I don't think you'll get a bad cruise with whichever you choose, so you have to decide which suits you, what you want to pay for and what you don't.

• Like 2

The Rhône cruises have a wider range of experiences: gastronomy in Lyon, Roman ruins (esp. Pont du Garde), Van Gogh in Arles, Les Baux, Valrhona chocolate.  And there is wine, with Chateauneuf du Pape a highlight on all itineraries— and  some also sail north of Lyon to Beaune.  So you get the best of both worlds. 

Scenic sails to Chalon sur Soane where they used to start from and travel to Beaune by coach not far.

image.thumb.jpeg.fd48b4bbd88fea5f1669a89e9915b472.jpeg

Winery tour this one is owned by Santory the Japanese Whisky makers this place was sparkling.

image.thumb.jpeg.dc089552ca5b070e30a9c77e955d7964.jpeg

Pont du Gard is amazing but don’t miss the superb museum.

Edited by Canal archive
  • Like 1